“A Very Fun Tour”

Shanghai Tunnel Tours
Ranked #41 of 112 Tours in Portland
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was my second tour of the so-called Shanghai tunnels in Portland, OR, although this one is a different tour and is offered by the Cascade Geographic Society and all proceeds go to supporting the research into Portland's "dirty little secret". All I can say is I was truly shocked that shanghaiing was Portland's biggest "industry" back in the 19th & 20th centuries. This a labor of love for our volunteer guides. This was the ghost tour and the hosts of Sci Fi channel's Ghost Mine show, but the guide was very knowledgeable about what happened down there and how cut throat and brutal the business was "back in the day". This is a great way to kick off your evening in Portland, whether you are a visitor or resident. I am happy this city is acknowledging its past now and Cascade Geographic Society does a wonderful job restoring these tunnels. Bravo!

2  Thank Ricky_Dee49

Reviewed 26 May 2013

My partner are avid Ghost Adventures viewers, and we saw the episode where this Tour was featured. So, by chance we happened to vacation in Portland, and made a point to do this. I'm so glad we did, because not only was it SO fun, but informative as well regarding the history of Portland. They we very accommodating, as we had waited 45 mins for a taxi to take us there, and gave up and took the bus making us late. Not a problem though, we were cheerfully put on the next tour that night. We had a nice conversation with the tour check-in woman, and our tour guide-young lady was fun. I really liked the fact that, while she immersed us in some very interesting history, she made a point to mention the Human Trafficking that is endemic to Portland. This raises awareness, and I was glad they had a handout on how to learn more and help. But the tour itself was really, really fun. Very reasonably priced; we bought our tickets online, and paid about $15 each. The best $15 we spend in Portland by far! Thank you guys for being so accommodating, and pleasant to us "tourists."

2  Thank EscapingTheMouse
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The guide was engaging, well informed and dramatic. The history of the area is incredible and really should be preserved. We did the 'ghost' version of the tour which was a teensy bit creepy, but nothing too bad. Overall, it was one of our favorite parts of our Portland vacation. Everyone should do this. "Stay!"

2  Thank Jodi T
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I loved hearing the stories from our tour guide and getting to experience the Portland underground. It was stressed that he was providing an oral history, but it was delightful and informative! We had a large group, and everyone enjoyed themselves.

1  Thank TJnRea
Reviewed 22 February 2013

So I am a concierge in NYC and as a result, I tend to be really diligent in planning my trips. However the day before we left for Portland, a friend who was originally from Portland advised me that if we had room for one more tour, we had to do the Shanghai tunnel tour. It was easily one of the highlights of the trip! First of all this is a tour that is kind of on the down low so the tour groups tend to consist more of locals then "tourists." A few things to keep in mind though: 1. You are in the tunnels for an hour and a half, so if you are chlosterfobic in any way, avoid this tour. 2. Dress appropriately. 3. This is not a schticky haunted voodoo party tour...but rather a seroius history tour. 4. However it is one of the ten most haunted places ergo creepy and since its purpose was to store/kidnap men and women so the subject matter is way too adult for children.

5  Thank Jenczarnota