“Don't waste your time or $$$”

Shanghai Tunnel Tours
Ranked #42 of 112 Tours in Portland
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I had seen the Shanghai Tunnel tour on various travel shows and I came away from this tour very disappointed. This tour is basically walking around the basement of 2 connected bars - there's no real "tunnel" exploration. The props aren't original to the buildings or the era - the 'cells', 'trap door' etc all appear to be recently &crudely made from plywood. On top of the cheesy props & The guide I has was smug and dismissing with no real knowledge of the actual history of the area. His answer/justification to every question was that he had been exploring the tunnels since he was a kid - as if that should serve as reason dorm me to take his word for all of the ridiculous claims made on the tour. This is a waste of time and $$ - they're more interested in drumming up business for the bar upstairs than actual historical accuracy

6  Thank lzcobb

Reviewed 20 July 2013

There is no "there there." Of all of the many wonderful, interesting things to do in Portland, this is SO not one of them. The "tunnels" are actually the basement of the restaurant. No denying this was probably a dark time in Portland's history. However, this tour was way more hype than historical education.

10  Thank ErinC79
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was my second tour of the so-called Shanghai tunnels in Portland, OR, although this one is a different tour and is offered by the Cascade Geographic Society and all proceeds go to supporting the research into Portland's "dirty little secret". All I can say is I was truly shocked that shanghaiing was Portland's biggest "industry" back in the 19th & 20th centuries. This a labor of love for our volunteer guides. This was the ghost tour and the hosts of Sci Fi channel's Ghost Mine show, but the guide was very knowledgeable about what happened down there and how cut throat and brutal the business was "back in the day". This is a great way to kick off your evening in Portland, whether you are a visitor or resident. I am happy this city is acknowledging its past now and Cascade Geographic Society does a wonderful job restoring these tunnels. Bravo!

2  Thank Ricky_Dee49
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My partner are avid Ghost Adventures viewers, and we saw the episode where this Tour was featured. So, by chance we happened to vacation in Portland, and made a point to do this. I'm so glad we did, because not only was it SO fun, but informative as well regarding the history of Portland. They we very accommodating, as we had waited 45 mins for a taxi to take us there, and gave up and took the bus making us late. Not a problem though, we were cheerfully put on the next tour that night. We had a nice conversation with the tour check-in woman, and our tour guide-young lady was fun. I really liked the fact that, while she immersed us in some very interesting history, she made a point to mention the Human Trafficking that is endemic to Portland. This raises awareness, and I was glad they had a handout on how to learn more and help. But the tour itself was really, really fun. Very reasonably priced; we bought our tickets online, and paid about $15 each. The best $15 we spend in Portland by far! Thank you guys for being so accommodating, and pleasant to us "tourists."

2  Thank EscapingTheMouse
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The guide was engaging, well informed and dramatic. The history of the area is incredible and really should be preserved. We did the 'ghost' version of the tour which was a teensy bit creepy, but nothing too bad. Overall, it was one of our favorite parts of our Portland vacation. Everyone should do this. "Stay!"

2  Thank Jodi T