“Loved This Hotel!”

Inn at Northrup Station
Ranked #12 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Loved this hotel! Very unique. I wish it were a chain so I could use this hotel every time I travel.

Upon check in the hotel staff was very friendly and fast. I asked about some good bars to have a beer and was given many locations as well as a map. He even looked up some exact addresses for me online. Very helpful. I checked back later that night and a different front desk employee gave me even more places to check out.

The room was really cool. Funky Ikea like decor. Large room with a kitchenette and a balcony. I can't say a bad word about the room. I have some sleep issues that are even worse when I'm in a hotel room. I slept like a baby. I never heard a noise all night. Free wi-fi was nice to have.

I didn't explore breakfast too much. Looks like they had the basic continental breakfast stuff. Cereal, bagels, yogurt, fruit, waffle maker, etc. I had a bagel and it was excellent. Tasted like it was from a local bagel place and not frozen or from a grocery store. There is a ton of taffy and Starburst candy on every table.

The location was ok. Seemed like a safe nieghborhood. We were only in Portland for a night so we didn't really get the lay of the land. Portland seems to be more of a walking city. It was a little bit of a walk to some of the bars, shops, and restaurants. Not too inconvenient though. The trolly stop is right out side of the hotel which was very convienient. The hotel gave us two free trolly tickets which was nice. Free parking too.

I loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again if I were to return to Portland.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BluesChick2
northrupstation, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at Northrup Station, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

Having a streetcar stop right outside your front door is definitely a plus! Oh, and just a note on the front desk staff—we make sure everyone knows (or learns) the city inside and out so that each and every guest can have their own personal guide. Thanks for the review and we welcome you back at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 23 May 2010

I am a frequent travel who stays at both hotels and vacation rentals throughout the United States and I just don't understand all of the rave reviews about the Inn at Northrup.

Before I launch in to my review I have to say the hotel would be perfect for a family of 4 to 6 people given that the suites are very roomy with king size beds and sleeper sofas and they all have full kitchens.

CONS:
> Noise Factor: As a solo traveler, I found the accommodations incredibly noisy. You could literally hear everything from all of the rooms (and bathrooms – yuck!) nearby the suite and for some reason the other guests at the hotel thought it was okay to hang out and chat in the hallways late at night. People, get a clue!

> Front Desk Staff: Most of the front desk staff that I encountered were not very friendly at all and had some major attitude even during check in. It was almost laughable. Really?! C’mon’! This is Portland not a major metropolitan city like San Francisco and I expect some level of friendly front desk staff.

> Workout Facilities: There aren't any workout facilities at the hotel itself but they do offer a discount ($4.95 per day) at the LA Fitness down the street. This isn't exactly a negative given that LA Fitness is 6 blocks away but it would be nice to have a workout room/area located at the hotel.

> Cost: The prices are decent (between $134 and $155 per night) but there are better deals to be had at the Portland Marriott locations in the Pearl District and downtown. Initially I was going to book a room at the Marriott (for $105 per night) but wanted to check out the Inn at Northrup based on all of the rave reviews.

PROS:
> Parking: Parking is free (typically parking at most hotels in Portland will run you anywhere between $25 and $40 per night).

> Breakfast: Breakfast is certainly nothing to write home about but it was free and included a decent selection of items including yogurt, granola, bagels and eggs.

> Location: The hotel is within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, bars and movie theatres (Cinema 21 is fantastic!) and it’s also a very easy walk to the Pearl District.

> Family-friendly: As I mentioned above, this hotel would be a great place for a family given the large suites, full kitchens and free parking.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank zoelaj

First, thank you for the detailed review. While we’re a bit blue about not living up to your expectations, we do truly appreciate any and all feedback as it helps us make improvements. Much like any service environment, there will be times when things don’t quite go as planned or factors outside our immediate control (like the noisy hall-goers) lead to a less-than-stellar stay. We humbly apologize and hope to make it up to you someday.

Reviewed 20 May 2010

What a delightful hotel! I stayed 2 nights with my young son. We easily found the hotel from the streetcar. Check in was easy and pleasant. The room was spacious and fun and the kitchen was a great bonus. My son lived for the unlimited candy on the tables. Breakfast was adequate and the attendant was super. The front desk staff happily helped us plan daily activities and navigate the town. The rooftop garden was nice for a bit of down time. We walked to super restaurants and the Rose Garden. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Sounds like you didn’t miss a single part of the great experience the Inn @ Northrup Station provides—from the friendly staff to the trolley to the rooftop garden. We couldn’t have said it better ourselves and we certainly take pride in being fun for all ages, whether it’s the candy you’re into or the easy and pleasant atmosphere. Thanks for the review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2010

We spent 3 nights in a spacious and extremely comfortable king room. The staff was wonderful and the location couldn't be beat. At times I felt like wearing sunglasses to mute the bright colors everywhere but that's probably my age showing. I highly recommend the hotel. Free breakfast, free parking and free trolley tickets - what's not to like? The hotel was exactly as shown in the pictures already posted. Wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Isn’t an extended stay great here? Having that kitchen and lounge area makes it feel so much more like home (though you’re right, you probably wouldn’t paint your own walls so brightly—no matter how old you are!). Thanks so much for the great review and we welcome you back anytime!

Reviewed 6 May 2010

The staff here is really great. They were ready for my group, friendly and very helpful. I love the decor and so did my group. Breakfast is included and includes lots of options. Again, every staff person was so friendly! The beds are so comfortable and the room very spacious.

• Stayed: April 2010

Groups are one of our specialties at the Inn @ Northrup Station. We have spacious suites that can accommodate everything from the family get-together to the wedding party (though of course we recommend somewhere with a band for the actual reception!). Sounds like you got a first-hand glance at our first-rate service and we’re so happy it all worked out. Cheers!

Reviewed 21 April 2010

Once you get past the Willy Wonka/Mad Hatter/Ikea decor, the hotel is quite nice. Walking distance to NW 21st/23rd neighborhood, which has great restaurants, bars, and shopping. Street car stops just outside the door which goes to Pearl District and Downtown.
Upon Check-in, the room I booked was oversold so I was upgraded to a top floor suite which was a nice surprise after driving all day. Free internet and breakfast. I would recommend the Inn to anyone willing to stay just outside of Downtown Portland.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
northrupstation, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at Northrup Station, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2010

But quirky is great! Or at least we like to think so. Glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you back again… maybe when Johnny Depp does an Ikea commercial making it a Northrup Station trifecta :) Thanks for the review!

Reviewed 21 April 2010

With family coming from all directions, we wound up with 10 of us (including children ages 11, 8, 4 and 10 months) spread over all three floors. The hotel is bright, colorful and welcoming (especially to the kids whose eyes popped out as soon as they saw the candy jars on the tables in the breakfast area). The rooms were spacious and the decor throughout the hotel was upbeat and amusing.
From the front desk to the maids and breakfast area attendants, everyone was consistently friendly and helpful.
Even though the hotel was sold out over the weekend, it never felt crowded. The only snag encountered resulted from there being 70 rooms and only 50 parking spaces. That meant having to seek a space on the street, which can be tricky in so busy and popular a neighborhood. Since the hotel parking is free (a treasured commodity in Portland), I hesitate to look a gift horse in the mouth. We did find parking right outside the hotel one night and all was well that ended well.
With one set of offsprings living in the Seattle area and the other in the SF Bay Area, it was determined that Portland was a great place for us to gather and this was the ideal hotel and neighborhood for us to convene future get togethers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

See, now this is one of those intangible qualities a place can pick up. One family finds rooms for a meet-in-the-middle reunion (and maybe a life-long affinity for free Starbursts) while all of the other guests on that particular night wrote their own Northrup stories. Thank you for the review and the great story.