“Awesome!”

Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade
Ranked #5 of 55 Fun & Games in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade brings the arcade experience into the 21st century with over 100 of the most popular video games and pinball tables in a futuristic multi-level space. Enjoy a full bar and food menu nightly, along with recurring events such as Rock Band x Ground Kontrol, the stand-up comedy night No Pun Intendo and two monthly Free Play Parties!
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a top stop when I go bar hoping downtown! They have a great atmosphere and a lot of classic arcade and pinball games. Even if you're not very good at video games you'll still have lots of fun!

1  Thank KillaMommaBear
There are newer reviews for Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This place is pretty much a bar, so keep that in mind. The place is super packed on the weekend nights so keep that in mind. The parking on weekend nights is bad, so keep that in mind.

The games are fun if you like old school stand up video games. They have all the old classics.

They take coins and have tokens, so no need to worry about a pocket full of unused tokens when your girlfriend gets tired of the BO smell, just kidding.

2  Thank James P
Reviewed 18 February 2014

A friend told me about this place, and it sounded cool. It was awesome. First off, all the games are only a quarter. They have all sorts of classic pinball games, and a bunch of cool arcade games... including multiplayers like X-men, The Simpsons, and TMNT. Toss in the fact that they have food and drinks, plus booze after 5pm, and you've got a winner. I wish I could've spent the entire day there!

1  Thank djstatick
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We went to Ground Kontrol on a recent (first) trip to Portland. Thankfully we were able to park right in front - it was a Tuesday night around 7p.

Front door guy was fine, and the place was probably 50-60% full with most people standing near the bar and big screen. We ordered a few drinks, Martian Attack for my husband, Ms. Pac Man for me. My husband said his was "a little sweet, but good." Mine was okay, and I eventually moved on to the Princess Peach, which I really enjoyed.

Good selection of arcade and pinball machines with some of my favorites being Paperboy, Sopranos pinball, The Simpsons and Rampage. The $2/5 game special on the pinball machines are good.

We were there on Rock Band Karaoke Tuesdays. Fun concept and it was fun to watch. We didn't put our names in but we still enjoyed it.

For Ground Kontrol overall, the concept is awesome and we wish we had something like this near our home. However, I couldn't give this a 5 star review because of the following missteps:

1) Snippy, distracted bartender. I felt like I was putting him out by ordering a few drinks. He mixed a few good drinks for us, but he was seemingly annoyed whenever I went up. He also snapped at me whenever I had to remind him that I had a tab going.

2) A few number of machines need some work done to them; The Simpsons colors need to be adjusted, Twilight Zone pinball needs a tune-up, and Tempest was out of order.

3) The Hipsters who frequent this place need to work on their manners and people skills. This is not GK's fault, of course, but this did sour our time there.

Clean bathrooms. Cool lighting and Pac Man tiles on the floor.

All in all, we loved Ground Kontrol. Maybe it was just an off night, again being a Tuesday. We hope to get back there someday. Enjoy!

2  Thank Katie F
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My sister and I took our kids there, ages 7 and 9. They loved playing games of course, but as people who grew up when these games were first around, we may have loved it more! It's a little on the tight side, so I can see it feeling very crowded on a packed day. There are a few tables in the corner and a bar to buy drinks. All the games you grew up playing...burger time, paperboy, frogger, q-bert, mortal combat. They even have a large, flat multi-player battle Pac-man. And the entire upstairs is pinball. Most of the games are still a quarter, while the pinballs are mostly 50 cents. A great way to kill a few hours and walk down memory lane.

1  Thank Jessie B