“Enso winery”
Review of Enso Winery

Enso Winery
Ranked #844 of 4,363 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Urban winery in SE Portland: went over using Groupon gift voucher for wine tasting. Owner Ryan was very informative during the entire presentation, describing the wines, grapes and answering questions. We had arrived a bit early, enjoyed a wonderful glass of zinfandel and cheese board: took a short walk around the neighborhood, looking at the older gabled homes. Loved sitting by the fireplace in the recliners before the actual tasting began. Was a relaxing evening overall.

There are newer reviews for Enso Winery

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I was looking for an urban winerey to check out in Portland and discovered this place on-line. This place exceeded my expectations and beyond. The lady working there gave me and my friend great customer service. The wine was delicious and a great atmosphere. I will be back! The wines I really liked were the following: resonate red and white, and the riesling

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Easy parking - friendly staff. Nothing to dislike - another historical area being preserved-like seeing that!

Reviewed 9 June 2012

We went to Enso b/c they were open on Sunday. The venue is in a converted garage/auto repair shop with wine barrels on the sidewalk and many more in the back. We decided to have a glass of the Enso Pinot Grigio and the cheese sampler.
As we were waiting for the owner/bartender to pour our wines I noticed that he went to the basket of baguettes and discarded one into the trash. He sliced several pieces from the remaining baguette and brought the cheese sampler to the table. He explained each cheese well and then brought our wines in large glasses. I must tell you the pour did not even appear to be the right quantity. I asked him how many glasses of wine we could get from one their bottles and he said about 4. I would venture his pour would get 6 or more glasses out of a bottle. So all three of us who know a thing or two about wine/glasses and serve sizes felt a wee bit put off. The pour may even be the legal quantity but in that case I'd suggest they use smaller glasses just to remove the question from their patron's minds.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

After losing Noble Rot to swankier digs on lower Burnside, and and losing Wine Down all together, I was thrilled to see a new wine place opening in my neighborhood. I think I went the day Enso opened, and have returned regularly since.

Enso is different, however. It's a winery that doubles as a wine bar. They make the (really good) wine right there, and it's available to purchase by the case, bottle or glass. The wine is at least pretty good, more often really good, sometimes WOW good. At least for me.

The atmosphere is as nice and comfy as any casual wine bar; the owners know you by name, the fire is cozy, and while the food selection is limited to a cheese plate, a meat plate, or pasties (patsies? whatever -- dough filled with stuff), get this -- you can bring in any food you like! Anything. A picnic from home, take out from the Thai place next door, or the sandwich place. Wings from Fire on the Mountain. You can even get food delivered to Enso. Dominos. Delivered Dish. Your mom. They're cool with whatever.

The bottle price is the same whether you drink it there or take it home. The wine ranges from pretty good to really good, sometimes better, priced from $15-30 a bottle, apx. There's a wine club that I joined, tastings that are (thus far) too crowded but fun, and in the good weather, food vendors come and park outside on set days each week -- gotta love the Taco peddlers! Occasional live music.

They sell wine they make and a selection of other wine, local and not, that changes. I stick with Enso wine as I generally either like it a lot or love it.

This is a great place to gather with friends for an intimate, casual and not-too-pricy night out. I saw one girl do a run to Freddies and bring a bunch of snacks that she then set out on a cluster of tables. About 20 of her friends showed up and she had a party that 1) didn't break her budget as they bought their own booze; 2) required minimal clean up (though don't leave a mess, please! Chris and Ryan deserve a break) 3) didn't require her to clean her house or pacify her neighbors or cats; 4) let her leave when she wanted; 5) looked super-fun!

Ryan, Chris and Devin are very fun, friendly barkeeps, and have always made me feel at home. However, warning...

My team and I call Enso the winery of non attachment. They're likely to run out of your favorite wine before you've had your fill. Just gotta wait until the next press.... Still not over the first rose loss of last summer... Not to mention the pinot gris...

Love this place. I'll be the girl in the cute hat with the big grin sipping a glass with her friends.

1  Thank Eliza-in-pdx