McMenamins White Eagle Saloon and Rock & Roll Hotel
Economy Inn(Portland)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmcmenamins propertylive music downstairsmcmenamins passportuntil midnightbedside tablefire pitpublic transitstayed here for two nightsplace to sleepbed was comfortablesinkbunklyricshallwaystencileddowntownrevellers
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My boyfriend and I came down from Vancouver for a last minute get away trip and thought we would be able to find a place to stay anywhere. Needless to say, there was nothing available other than flophouses due to a massive parade and 2 battleships in port. After staying one night at a Courtyard Marriott, we tried to find something with a bit more personality since Portland is known for it, and came across the McMenamins hotels. After a shot in the dark and a "why the hell not" mentality we booked the last private room available.

For a cost of $65 we got a perfect little room, it was clean, overlooked the patio, with a nice large window with a little sink in the corner, old boarding room style, AND it includes free cover to the shows downstairs. Although it's shared bathrooms, they are in their own individual rooms (same as the showers), and it was never an issue for us to get up and walk the 20 feet from the room to the bathroom. After thinking about where to eat dinner, we stumbled across the Gotham Tavern just around the corner which was fantastic! Coming back to the bar, it was a great way to wrap up a fantastic weekend, munching on warm pitas and hoummus, drinking a Rainier and watching a jumpin' band. Their patio is also amazing, it was so wonderful to have a beer and a real bonfire pit at nighttime in the city. Mississippi Ave is just up the way and whawt a jem that area is! Great breakfast joints and to enjoy a sunny day to boot.

Have to be honest, the beds are a little soft for my taste, but either way, for the cost AND the free cover, we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VacationAddict2012
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My friend and I were in Portland for a concert at the Roseland. We wanted an affordable yet respectable place to stay, and we felt like we got just what we needed. We slept in a bunk room which had two bunk beds, a table, and a sink. The only inconvenience for us was that you had to walk down the hall to use the toilet or shower, which were in their own respective rooms; that didn't bother us at all. The only real bummer was that our concert ended around midnight and the bar at the hotel closed at 11, so we missed catching any more live music. To add to the appeal of the White Eagle, the Widmere Brewing Company has a pub just 1-2 minutes walk down the street. We had an easy walk across the river into downtown, an acclaimed brewery across the street, a cozy place to sleep, and plumbing. All for $45? It's a deal.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank JGuy4804
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The bar downstairs is awesome, the only problem was that it closed at 11pm on Sunday night which was the only night we stayed there. Otherwise if you don't mind walking a bit, there's a lot of cool stuff up on Mississippi which isn't too far from the hotel. Our room was a quiet spot at the end of the hallway, it had a little sink and a pretty good amount of natural light. The hotel itself was a bit spooky, creaky, I'm pretty sure our sink in the room turned on in the middle of the night, so it very well may be haunted or something. Overall I would stay there again, the area, vibe and prices are right, especially for the sort of experience I enjoy when I go to Portland. The shared bathrooms are a bit strange, the toilets are not attached to the shower rooms and there were only 2 toilets and 2 showers for our entire floor.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We spent one night in the 'White Eagle Hotel'. The room was small, without any window. The air-conditioning was very loud and didn't cool down at all, the temperature was too high and the air was too dry. I could not sleep very well because of the mentioned points, but this may have also been related to my terrible jetlag at that time. There was no bathroom included in the room, we had to use the communal bathroom, but it was clean.

The staff was very nice and how cool is it actually if the barkeeper does the check-in for the rooms? :-)
In my opinion, the music from downstairs wasn't too loud either.

The atmosphere in this hotel is very unique and it's very good valued, therefore it was worth a visit and definitely no wrong decision, but i would not recommend to stay more than one night.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeR1989
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My mom and I stayed in a bunk bed room and loved it. The rooms are small but room for what you need. It's nice that you can take drinks from the bar too. Live music everynight, so not a quiet place until midnight or so.

• Stayed: March 2012