“Great music, food and service!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
McMenamins White Eagle Saloon and Rock & Roll Hotel
Ranked #67 of 139 Hotels in Portland
St. George, Utah
“Great music, food and service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

After driving by the White Eagle a hundred times, finally had a date night with my wife for dinner and some Bluegrass music. What great character this old saloon has!!! The service and music
(Student Loan) were great. We both had burgers and enjoyed every yummy bite. Throw in a couple of micro brews and we had a great date night at reasonable pricing. Two thumbs up, we will be back.
We did not stay the night but will be looking at that down the road, for another special date.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TeamFlounder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights because we saw a concert one night at Mississippi Studios and The Wonder Ballroom the next. It was right in the middle and was a short walk to either or cheap cab ride depending on what we were feeling. We took one of the larger queen rooms at the front with the windows above the bar facing the street. It gave us a little more room, with two nightstands with lamps, a little table with an alarm clock and Queen Bed and sink/mirror. In the drawer were earplugs. We stayed in "Uncle Bill's Room". The room was exactly as advertised. Clean and sparse and a place to crash after a show. Two towels and a bar of soap each are folded waiting on the bed, hooks on the back of the door for your clothes and Kleenex ,another soap and handtowels next to the sink. There is no hair dryer, iron etc., This place is meant for crashing late and sleeping deep, getting up and getting on your way. The hotel is really quaint in that Mcmenamin's way, with interesting art and sayings on the walls. Fun little touches everywhere like the shower is tiled with a guitar pattern and pictures of the bar in the different decades. If you are weird about such things the motel is totally unmanned, you get your key when you check in and you are on your own... drop your key in the box when you go. Although the restaurant bar is open 11a - 2a , so you aren't really alone. You do check in at the bar as there is no hotel " front desk" and it was fine. The guy who checked me in was fast and efficient. As far as the weekend music, if you desire to go down and see the band your cover is included because you are staying at the hotel. We didn't get in before 1 am either night, and those rooms are further from the music anyway - so it didn't bother us at all.The communal bathrooms and showers were very clean. I was worried when I reserved, but they were totally fine and I used them without any concerns at all.My husband would have liked the shower to get a little hotter, he is right, it didn't heat up to steaming - but it was warm enough. The bed was comfy enough with decent pillows and covers and the little wall heater kept us warm . The blackout curtains were nice and we got a solid 8 hrs of sleep each night. There was a little street and train noise in the a.m. but not until 9 or so. We kept a few bottled waters in the room... there is no vending machine, so if you get thirsty in the night it is nice to have bottled water. We didn't get bothered by other guests coming and going even though all the rooms were full both nights. It was really nice to be able to roll in after the show at 1 am, go down to the bar, fill up our little jar for beer from the room for a night cap and get some fresh made Dragonfries to go (spicy little french fry dish with sweet peppers, cilantro and siracha mayo) YUM. We brought it up to room and they told us the cleaning staff would pick it up when they cleaned in the morning which they did. They went out of their way when they couldn't find the spices for the fries one night , so the chef came up with a little idea of how to blend the spices they had on hand and they were just as good.Good Service! The bar staff downstairs was really nice and the happy hour included a little bluegrass band which was a nice diversion before heading out to dinner. Saturday morning there was a pot of coffee out on the little table at the top of the stairs but Sunday there was not.I had just a fine experience here and it was all it claimed to be. I would certainly stay again and reccommend it to others going to see a show in the area. The bar itself was a Mcmenamin's, which if you don't know of already has some of their own OK, if not stellar,beers and a variety of their own liquors and wines as well as the usual mixers. The little outdoor patio was nice since it was a warm day. Now onto my experiences with the ghosts. Overall no eerie or creepy feelings the whole time - Felt totally comfortable even a few times I ran upstairs to get things and was all alone in the upstairs part. I did have a few isolated incidents, though. On night 1, going down the hall to the bathroom around 1 am - nothing, in the bathroom - nothing, walking back - strange sense something was coming up behind me and the sound of a womans heels walking down the hall behind me on a wood floor. The halls are now carpeted so it was kind of the impression of a sound is how I would explain it. I double timed it back into the room. Night 2 - this is harder to explain. Sort of woke up in the middle of the night must have been 3 or 4? I realized I was awake in a haunted hotel and thought I should listen a bit.... I wasnt scared or anything. Heard some very strange things kind of sounded like an out of tune violin and some strange creaking and knocking sounds the sounds were coming from all around and somewhat faint. Didnt sound like other people or rooms , but kind of from the building itself ~ overhead and around. I was still slightly drunk and I giggled to myself that must be what " water pipes" sound like in old buildings when you hear that said. I scooted down the covers as I was warm, and went right to sleep face down. Well right after that I had the most intense scary dream about being in that room and being attacked by something unseen from behind. Mostly my shoulder and neck area like I was being bludgeoned/ choked/ pushed? I know! Scary right?? The energy of whatever it was seemed very negative, it kind of felt I was reliving something that had happened to someone not that it was happening TO me ... it was more energy than pain ... strange !! I was fine in the morning and I had this vague memory of the nightmare, but I was sure it was very intense even though I didn't remember the details. And so ends my ghost story. I also caught an orb next to my husband in a photo. Final verdict, regardless of that little bit of scary - which I found thrilling kind of ... I would go back again for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

We paid $55 per night for full bed with shared bath. Small rooms, historic building, live music downstairs every night until about midnight (earplugs provided). No coffee within walking distance, but public transport about a block away. We stayed here for our last few nights in town after living in portland for 5 years and would certainly recommend it, but important to know about the noise level and simplicity of the place.

• Stayed January 2013
Coos Bay, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

We "stumbled" upon this one night on our way to a Blazer's game. Being from out of town, we really had no clue where we were headed. This place is full of character and the employees were really friendly and laid back. We caught the end of happy hour which had a pretty nice selection. This is a place that you can sit right down and feel like you belong.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Coos2View
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in October and had already read reviews, so I kind of knew what to expect. Check-in was easy and the rooms were clean and simple, as were the bathrooms and showers. The bands did play, but I rarely noticed any noise. I did hit up the bar downstairs a few times to enjoy some of the ambiance.

Since the location was close to the MAX, I had no problems navigating on throughout Portland to see the sights. I would definitely say here again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Belle618
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

All of the poor reviews I read about this property were by people who didn't understand that this is first and foremost a rock and roll bar. The bands will play until late, and the people downstairs will be enjoying themselves right underneath your room. You will have a fantastic time if you're down there with them, and your room key will get you in for free. We stayed two nights and while the bands were different, both were great. Drinks were easy to get, and delicious and the kitchen is open late. So close to the MAX for exploring both the East and West sides of the city. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and if you understand what "European Style" shower means, you'll think these ones are very clean and nice. Such a good deal for all that you get.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

The White Eagle Hotel offers cozy rooms filled with character! Since it's above a restaurant/bar that features live bands, the rooms and area throughout the small pension-like hotel is decorated by musical icons, sayings, and personalities. My clean room was called the "Bad Boy" and had a quote written on the wall about mothers not liking long hair... A small sink, minimum toiletries, towels, and most importantly, EARPLUGS (in the drawer by bedside table) are included in the room. The clean, individual toilets are very close, as are the individual showers. Can't beat the location for its price! The yellow max line is very close, and can take you downtown in minutes.

• Stayed August 2012