“Not as bad as I thought!”

Inn at the Convention Center
Ranked #76 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Hillsboro, Oregon
“Not as bad as I thought!”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

The place is definately old. Interior is outfitted just like a budget motel. It does offer a flat panel tv but that about does it for modern. The rooms are very big if they are located at the end corner. You want the side opposite of the max train tracks if you are a light sleeper. My sister (who is stayed on that side) was awaken every morning at 430 - 5ish because the max stop is right outside. the huge sliding glass door is great for viewing the night lights of portland if it is a clear night. There are no huge perks other then it was super cheap during this time period and is located by the max for easy travel. If you are looking for a place to sleep not to concerned about frills take it. It was really pretty quiet in the rooms.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Hotel looks old and not so comfortable outside, but inside it's pretty nice compared to the price. The rooms are nice and comfortable. However the staff there is somewhat friendly, but it seems that they aren't capable to do their job. First they marked wrong days for our stay. In the middle of the vacation they called us and asked aren't we going to check out. After short negotiation and showing the reservation voucher they really believed that we had already paid our stay until the next Sunday. The biggest surprise was when I few weeks later got my credit card bill. The hotel had charged us 130$ extra and no reason was given. So far I haven't heard any explanation or got any money back. I had to change my credit card just in case, because I can't trust that hotel anymore and they still have the credit card information there. I never got any kind of recipe or any paper proof about those costs. So be really careful when going there and after every visit, ask to have some kind of recipe of any possible costs there. What it comes to cleanliness the hotel was otherwise pretty clean, but the hallways smelled like pot.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank toMorrowind
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Quite possibly the most disgusting hotel room I have ever been in. I booked this online at http://Hotels.com and was not expecting fancy accommodations - but the filth level in this room was frightening. There was not a surface that wasn't covered in stains. I was afraid to sit on the bed or chair, so I sat on the floor while I called http://Hotels.com to find another hotel. Bad move, the carpet may have been worse than any other surface. After getting the run around from http://Hotels.com and numerous disconnects we just left. I can't imagine the illness and bedbugs we would have brought home had we stayed there.

The gentleman at the front desk was pleasant and did not seem at all surprised that we were leaving!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Firstly, the comfort of the place left much to be desired, as it was old, tacky and very poorly lit. The front desk staff failed to follow payment instructions and double charged us for the room. I called the mistake in to the manager, who saw fit to get frustrated with me instead of ever apologizing. I don't know if I will ever get the refund back, but I am positive that I will never stay at this hotel again until they change management AND remodel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank hockeynw
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 26 September 2010

This hotel (formerly Best Western) definitely shows it's age; however, it was an OK stay. The room was clean and comfortable; the bed firm to average; good water pressure w/ hot water in the bathroom (the blow dryer, though, was on the opposite wall from the outlet so you had to remove the whole dryer in order to plug it in); and cable TV (the remote, though, turned the TV off but did not work to turn it on) as well as a coffee maker. The room was on the quieter side of the hotel (I say quieter because one could still hear the road noise). Check in / out was easy and parking was free. You do need to overlook the age.... the carpets are dated (and worn in spots); the walls clean but the wallpaper does have some cracks in spots; older lamps, etc. The room did have a slight "old" smell (not musty, just older smell); The hallways in the second floor (don't know about other floors) are less than 7 feet tall and are dimly lit. The doors all have deadbolts and peepholes. Because we had activities at the Convention Center, this hotel was VERY convenient for us. I would stay here again if I could not find a cheaper rate in another nearby hotel (preferably one that offers a breakfast). This hotel has not on-site restaurant (it used to, but it closed some time ago).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Sequim
Reviewed 28 August 2010

The Inn at the convention center is an older hotel, but don't let other people's reviews chase you away. My room was clean, the bedding new, the bed soft-firm, the bathroom clean, the check-in and out no problem. But the hotels age shows in little things like the rug, the mirrow, and nicks in the paint here and there.
I would agree with others, the hotel is getting a bum rap. For the money and convenience I would go there again,
As a side note: what happened to all the restaurants that were by the Portland convention center?

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank LandbyC
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed 18 August 2010

As mentioned, the the location can't be beat. Only minutes from downtown Portland and about 30 minutes from the Airport if traveling via the MAX line. The front desk personnel are questionable. First, check-in took forever and there was another guest having key issues. I ended up getting her driver's license handed to me by the clerk so I quickly returned it to the other guest. Wanted to charge me a $5 parking fee even though I just needed to park the rental I picked up for the next day (already had been staying there 3 days prior).

The place is run down and it looks kind of creepy, but I must say if you can look past that, the rooms were clean and again the location is ideal. I would probably stay again if ever in Portland.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple