“Not Worth It”

Inn at the Convention Center
Ranked #76 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I have been staying at this hotel annually for the past 8 years. During which time, I have seen a steady decline. I can put up with grumpy staff, but there is no excuse for filth. I have no idea why the state has not shut them down.
During my stay I observed the following:
Black mold around the tub edge
Hair on the bathroom floor (not mine)
Sink faucet wouldnt turn on, it took 2 days for maintenance to come fix it. (which also means housekeeping never cleaned it)
Hall smelled of cigarettes and urine
Pros: only hotel directly across from the Convention Center
Great price
Cons: read my comments above and pay the extra $20 to stay at the Red Lion next door

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank curlycrafter
There are newer reviews for Inn at the Convention Center

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Where to start. I stayed here three times in a month, each visit got worse. Advertized internet is slower than dial up. Heat is very slow, if it works at all. Most of the staff are good with the exception of the dyed blond hair guy who is a rude jerk. Bathroom are filthy. There are lots of drugged up or drunk people walking up and down the halls. No feeling of security, my wife was scared to stay there. Had a room where the connecting room door would not lock, with a very loud couple on the other side who talked very loud until 5:30 am making it impossible to sleep. One time I had someone banging on the door at 4am, who had the wrong room. It's cheap, and in a great location, however there are much better hotels within walking distance. Never give them an ATM card for "incidentals" I found later that they had made charges to my card each stay, and I had to fill out a dispute form, as well as have my card blocked for being compromised. Even the Motel 6 across the street is a much better deal.

Room Tip: The train side of the building is very loud.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovedog100
Reviewed 26 February 2012

When my husband called to make reservations he was told we could check in whenever we arrived. When we arrived at 1 pm we were told we e would need to come back at check in time (3pm) because there were no clean rooms available. When we came back at 3, the lobby had several people waiting to check in. A friendly told us that everyone was waiting to check in because there were no clean rooms available. About 3:15 the front desk started checking everyone in. Not sure how all the rooms got cleaned at once but whatever, check in is a 3.

The whole hotel was nasty. Floors throughout the hotel need replacing. Just overall a dirty place.

When we got back to the room after watching a Trail Blazers game, there was a woman standing outside in a silver sequin short dress and stiletto hills. Don't like staying in a place that has that kind of clientele right out side the front door.

The only nice thing about this place is the location-walking distance to the Rose Quarter.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Staci T
Reviewed 20 February 2012

After a long night out, I needed a place to rest my head. I was first given the wrong key to my room, then I was given a different key and room number and walked in on a guy who screamed at me, I then had another key not work. Once I finally got in my room the heat didn't work and I froze. Luckily I was only there for 4 hours, one more minute in that place would have killed me! DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank bbloomfield
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Last year we didn't have too bad of a time here and it was rather comfy for all 12 of us. So this year we decided to do it again. Unfortunately it has degraded A LOT since our last stay. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and were very polite. The hallways have a low roof basically if you reach your hand over your head you'll touch the ceiling i'm 5'7". The carpet is super duper ancient and covered with stains. The elevators were working about 50% of the time and sometimes it smelled of urine. On the first day of check in we walked past a pile of feces left by a dog (i'm hoping) in the hallway. I notified the front desk and the front desk person had to leave to clean it up. He was a jack of all trades. Carpets in the rooms were spotted with tons of stains all over the place. You need slippers to walk in your room or leave your shoes on. The bed linen although clean were stiff and there were cigarette burns in the blankets. I was glad I brought all my own stuff from home. The bathrooms are not ventilated therefore a shower in the place fogged up the entire room. Shower heads were crusted over, cracks on the walls, toilet and the floor. At one point the toilet started backing up. When I called down to front desk they said there was nothing they could do about it as the maintenance man doesn't arrive till noon the next day. I called at 730-8 pm. They offered to move me to another room. When I was given the key the room was not ready with trash and beds totally undid. Needless to say I stayed in the current room and went to my sisters room to use the restroom. The people staying here were not the usual run of the mill. We had been approached by several individuals in rooms next to ours that asked if we had a lighter to smoke their joints. We totally used the buddy system if we left our rooms just because it felt safer that way. Although the location is convenient and the cost to stay here was really affordable I will not stay here again with family. It isn't safe. If you are looking for a cheap place to crash overnight after a long night on the town and couldn't drive home I would stay here with a bunch of friends all in the same room. =)

Room Tip: the corner rooms are the largest and the best.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank EvaLady
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I usually stay at hotels close to the center or close to a shopping mall and this was the case. The location is perfect which I believe is the reason for the rate being what it is because the place is horrible. It is old, smells weird and the rooms...first of all the bed sheets are really old and the pillows are horrible. I was afraid to use the pillow as it was so old and made me feel uncomfortable. I think this place is good if you are just looking for perfect location and not very expensive however for the quality of the hotel it should be half the price it is. The staff was ok but I would not recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lorenia A
Reviewed 11 November 2011

The saying "you get what you pay for" is more relevant to me then ever. I was impressed by the price of the room, location, and front desk staff was really helpful. Hell I was even willing to have a sense of humor about the pubes on the bathroom floor. But after seeing a bed bug on the bed my mood and perception of the place was immediately soured.

Don't be tempted by the price. Well unless you want a bed bug infested bed!

• Stayed: November 2011