“Location NOT worth it!”

Inn at the Convention Center
Ranked #77 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very old and unkept hotel, should be torn down. Sure OLD, worn and dingy is one thing but dirty is quite another. Booked 6 months in advance for 2 nights during the STP, Seattle to Portland bike event, based on location. Paid $100.00 per night, which was WAY too much. The linen was so scary looking we went out and bought a new set of sheets. They were very thin and had several small holes throughout. Dirty stains on chair, door frames, carpet, walls and more. WiFi? Forget it. Would have moved if other area hotels weren't totally booked.

Room Tip: Don't bother, find another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne T

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I would never stay in this place again. The reviews we read stated that it was simply out dated but ok. We found this not to be the case at all. The hotel hallways were dark and dingy. There were rug stain throughout The towel racks were coming off the walls, plaster giving away from the ceilings. The bathroom was so stained in the tub area. Housekeeping staff did their best to clean a decrepit room in disrepair. Our glass patio door had huge cracks in it which unstructured our view of gravel. There was a homeless person sleeping in the stairwell. I tried to be very positive but when we found cigarette burns on the bed sheets it was just truly enough. This hotel, had a convenient location but was a smidgen above a skid row hotel. The motel 6 across the street was much better looking for the same cost. Don't stay here unless you truly don't care where you lay your head at night

Room Tip: Read trip advisor well You do get what you pay for
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank booboo228
Reviewed 25 August 2013

It was late and we booked this place through hotwire. Upon arriving the front desk staff was not friendly at all and after getting off the elevator and seeing the stains on the carpet in the hallway and how hot the hallway was and the smell the red flags started going up. After we opened our door to the room and finding know difference we turned around and walked out and called hotwire and told us of our experience and they credited our card. DO NOT GO HERE unless you don't mind a dirty hotel with a very bad smell.

Room Tip: We walked out so I can't give you a good tip other than the fact of picking someplace else to st...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Based on my research of Tripadvisor Reviews, I'm now the second customer to complain of having additional charges placed on my credit card while staying at the Inn at the Convention Center in Portland. If you scroll through the reviews, you will find a similar complaint in 2010. They claim their money ($130 additional charge) was never refunded to their credit card. I've made several calls to this hotel to speak with the hotel manager about the additional charges made to my credit card and how they were going to refund the unsubstantiated charges. I was only successful in reaching the manager once. All other times, during regular business hours, the hotel staff told me that either the manager "could not come to the phone," or was "out of the office," and inquired why I wanted to speak with the manager. When I explained the nature of overcharges, the hotel staff member on the phone said they would take care of the refund. During my last call to the hotel, I was then told that I would have to work the refund issue with my credit card company. The hotel explained that the first additional charge "should have never gone through because it was a $20 deposit for 'incidentals'." The hotel failed to explain why I was charged an additional $45 + the $20 deposit, which I found on my credit card a day after checking out. Keep in mind that I booked this reservation on Hotwire and I've already been charged $88 by Hotwire for the one night stay. So, when adding up the $88 for the one night, plus the unsubstantiated extra charges of $20 and $45, I ended up paying $153 for an $88/night room. If anyone considers staying at this hotel, or booking them through Hotwire, PLEASE RECONSIDER, unless you want to risk having additional charges applied to your credit card, like me and another customer have experienced.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Guy G
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed here 4 nights while visiting my daughter. Its a fairly old hotel, and looks it, but the room was clean. I had a few maintenance issues, light bulbs being out and remote not working correctly, but the front desk was very nice and handled everything immediately while I was out. I did stay on the quiet side facing south. No restaurant, no fridge, but a coffee maker in the room. Convenient location. Starbucks and Delightful Donuts down the street. Denny's 2 blocks away. I was hoping for a slightly cheaper hotel, but the price was average for the area. There is free parking. They do accept pets.

Room Tip: Ask for the south side, away from the the train.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Chr1sMar1e
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked this hotel before reading the reviews so was a bit scared to see what I would find when I arrived! No its not all modern and luxurious but for what I paid, I knew that. It was clean and comfortable, the front desk staff were happy and very helpful as were the women cleaning on my floor. With the MAX stop right across the street, you really couldn't ask for a better location. So if you are looking for luxury, no this is not for you but if you are looking for clean and comfortable in a good location, then its fine.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank talulla45
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Four of us stayed here for a conference in late June. The staff were great, the beds were very comfortable. We stayed on the side that does not face the Max, having read about the noise. Saying that, we ran the AC all night, and slept great. Yes, the rugs were a bit old, and the ceilings have had work done. We felt safe, had enough room, and had no trouble getting extra towels and pillows from the front desk. Yes, it isn't the Hilton but for what it cost, we were very pleased.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the Train
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends