“Great value. Food just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Luc Lac Kitchen
Ranked #39 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Excellent happy hour 6 days a week, open until 4am Fri/Sat, downtown location.
Potomac, Maryland
“Great value. Food just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Went for happy hour. How could you not resist the happy hour prices. I mean $2-4/plate?
Got the papaya salad, chicken wings, and summer rolls. Service was indifferent if not downright unfriendly. Food was nothing to write home about. Price was great.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Washington
“Wow!!! A Must...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

I have seen the lines at lunch at Luc Lac's and finally went last week to check it out. Wow...let first start by saying if going for lunch, get it to go and call ahead so it is ready when you get there...the line is way too long to wait in unless you are not in a rush.

Okay, that food...crazy good, and the portion sizes are insane, I made 2 meals out of my order, and my dog even got a piece of chicken later that evening at home. It was delicisous. As I said I called in my order so it was ready when I got there, didn't know that I didn't have to stand in line to pay, cashier told me next time to just come in and go straight to the bar to pay, no lines...score!!

These days it hard to fine a healthy alternative for eating out, Vietanmese and Thai is always a great ways to eat really good food, and watch the waist line too...just watch those portion size...Luc Lac's are huge!

• Visited August 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Luc lac is fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Go here to get a taste of what the hipsters are doing and the egalitarian ordering system where you keep costs down by getting your own stuff (kidding. Don't know if this keeps costs down). Very hip spot downtown and a fun vibe. Very busy. I loved my rose with actual rose taste, dh had a great bourbon drink. Loved our curry, great flavor. Fantastic spring rolls. Prices very reasonable. Would go back.

• Visited August 2013
vancouver, bc, canada
“Reasonably priced, weird ordering system”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were here on a weeknight after 9pm and didn't experience a wait to be seated, which was nice. This was our first time here and I found the way one places an order to be a bit weird. Since we had never been here before, I would have liked to look at the menu more thoroughly before ordering but they make you order before sitting down. Then, it's basically serve yourself by getting your own utensils, napkins, water, take out boxes, etc. After you get your food brought to you, there is no more interaction with their staff. I would give their ordering system only 2 stars.

As for the food, my dish was quite good and plentiful considering the price. I had the combo plate for $10 and had leftovers, which I brought back to the hotel. My wife had the $15 luc lac and it was good, but not as good as the one back home in Vancouver at Phnom Penh (and only about $9 too vs $15 at Luc Lac Kitchen). Once again, portion size on the luc lac dish was plentiful. We also had a steak roll as a starter and it was good as well but a little on the pricey side at $5 for a couple of rolls.

While we didn't try it, the bowls of pho looked very plentiful and tasty as well. I saw many tables with huge bowls of pho when we were leaving.

Eugene, Oregon
“Would not be coming back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I don't get what all the hype is about of this restaurant! I've been to Bolsa (aka Little Saigon) and I have to say that the food here isn't even close to comparable to the food at Little Saigon at all. The only item on the menu that is even salvageable is the Pho; everything else is just BLEH. On top of that, they have some weird system going on! It's pretty much a serve-yourself restaurant.

Here's the weird system explained:

The moment you walk into the restaurant, you need to stand in line to decide what you want to eat, once you're up at the counter, you order and pay for your food and drinks and receive your number. Afterwards, you walk to the right to go get your utensils and napkins and stand around there to be called on whenever your table is ready. Once you are finally seated, the food gets served to you. Once you are done with your meal, you just pick up and leave.

P.S. Don't try the Bo luc lac (their signature dish), it's just plain terrible. They forgot to put some flavor into the meat. Be warned: the drinks are probably the worst that I've ever tried in my entire life.

2 Thank THE_ISABEL