“recently remodeled rooms and excellent location!”
Review of Nordic Motel

Nordic Motel
Ranked #29 of 139 Hotels in Portland
rochester, wa
“recently remodeled rooms and excellent location!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

So I researched inexpensive places to stay in NE Portland, as my dad was in the hospital there, and I knew I may be there up to a week, so I couldn't afford anything fancy for that long. I came across website for Nordic Motel. Looking at the pics of it on website, I thought it looked ideal and I was surprised because the rooms were even better than what the internet depicted. They had recently been remodeled, new paint, appliances, everything! We had a two- bed room with kitchenette, and the other bed was in it's own room! Each bed had a huge flat screen t.v. pointed right at it, there were big dressers and many cabinets to put away your personal stuff, and a small dinette set. It was perfect. The regular sized refrigerator helped us save on dining out, as I stocked it with food that I had brought. The outside of the buildings were well lit and the motel is fenced except for the entrance. Although you can hear the planes (airport is fairly close) and you can hear the tire shop next door (can't hear it with the t.v. on, and they closed at 5) I never heard the people in the next rooms. Now, the location is fantastic, near airport and hospital, but the neighborhood looked a little rough. However, there were folks of all kinds staying at the motel, and very good restaurants in the area and we had no problems. I really really liked this place. BUT bring your own instant coffee or you can get it in motel lobby. There isn't java maker in the room-I came prepared because I am a spoiled Washatonian hooked on Starbucks. haha!

Room Tip: As far as I know, most of the rooms have been remodeled but ask the clerk.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank kay g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 February 2013

i stayed here on a road trip, so i had my car. staying for two nights i'd generally prefer to be close to the downtown action, but the cost of hotels and parking downtown made the nordic my choice. in hindsight i am very glad to have chosen as i did.

the hotel is about 10/15 minutes from the action in town, but just a few from gas stations, banks and other commercial enterprises. i believe there is a coffee stand across the street from the motel. no breakfast at the nordic, but why worry? you should be eating at the waffle window in town anyway.

rooms were clean and had nice amenities. good wifi. quiet sleep, though the motel wasn't exactly bursting at the seams in january. friendly, attentive staff as my smoke detector began chirping. gentleman came right over and immediately swapped the batteries. we chatted and he assured me this should do the trick, but if not to call the front desk and he would put in a brand new detector if necessary.

not sure how the nordic would work out without your own transportation--and it very well may be fine--but WITH a car, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Christopher N
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I travel worldwide for work and play, typically staying in hotels or condos. However when traveling to Portland, it's usually playtime so I stay either at the Silver Cloud downtown or at the airport at the aloft. This time however I decided to scan all motels/hotels to see what else was out there starting with the lower priced ones. When I saw the photos and read the reviews for the Nordic, it sounded interesting. The pics and overall good reviews, plus the fabulous price made it easy to chose this place. One caveat: if you're looking for downtown this ain't it. Also if you're familiar with Portland you know stretches of Sandy Blvd. can be sketchy. However east of the 205 interchange was unfamiliar territory for me, but it wasn't that bad. Yes it's sparsely populated (no SBUX, restaurants, etc) so not sure if I would walk the street alone at night, but has easy access to the airport. This motel is absolutely spotless, beautifully decorated, yes I said beautiful, and nicely laid out. Not sure if it's new or recently renovated. Small yes, but totally functional. I felt safe and got good night sleeps. Overall, I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank tokyorose50
Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here during an overnight trip in Portland. Took a cab from the airport to this convienent location. Booked online for a bargain and definitely got more than my moneys worth! Front desk service was great and very friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank stacyndudley86
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I have just finished my second week at this motel. So far I can tell you that the hotel is very well managed. Clean, quiet, well maintained comfortable bed and bedding. The hotel has newer microwave, small fridge, flat screen tv with cable, wifi. I can tell that the owners take great pride in their Motel. I looked and compared other hotels in the area for the same and even more money and the were dives. I stayed in a Marriot before staying here and this room is more comfortable and less than half the price. It is a older Motel but everything has been remodeled inside and out. It is only a few minutes to the airport. There is shoping close by and plenty of places to eat. The owner makes good coffee in the mornings and keeps a close eye on the grounds. I understand for a few more dollars they offer kitchen units I am sure they are also nice. If you are watching your budget and need a clean quiet, and safe place to stay for under fifty bucks a night I would highly recomend the Nordic. I will be working in Portland for a few more weeks and will write another review after checking out.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Mike Z
Elliston
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Not only this is motel reasonable, it is well kept up. Pretty landscaping and attractively painted units are the first things you see. Inside our unit we found things nicely decorated and very clean. The full-sized refrigerator, stove, kitchen sink with cabinets, and microwave made it easy to prepare or heat up some meals. The bathroom was spacious with tiled floor, large tub and sink, and a great shower. Coffee is provided in the morning and tasted great. Our unit was in the back, away from Sandy Blvd. and we experienced no disturbing noise. The location is within easy driving distance to a Wal-Mart, convenience store, Chinese and Mexican restaurants near-by, and a good place to get breakfast. It's about a 10-minute drive to the airport and about 5 minutes to Rte. 84, which will take you to downtown Portland and other nearby sights. We met both of the owners who are lovely people, friendly and helpful. They care about making your time in their motel good. We will definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Carol R
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed here as just a cheap place to sleep since we were going to Portland to meet some friends and then leaving early for a car show an hour away. First of all the neighborhood is not the best we were a little worried about even leaving the car out in the parking lot but since we made reservations we stayed. The room had a weird strong smell like old mens cologne but overall seemed pretty clean. We decided to take the transit to meet the red line to downtown Portland. We waited across the street for the transit for half an hour and we were a little worried about standing alone n that neighborhood, the transit was scary and the red line even worse. We got off as soon as we were across the bridge and walked to where we were going. Getting back to the motel later that night the train is right across a busy street and very loud. In the morning we were getting ready to leave and the room has no coffee maker, my husband went to the front desk to get coffee and the man behind the counter said he doesnt make it untill 7am (it was 6:30) he said try going to the 7-11 down the street, my husband drove down the street the 7-11 was boarded up and spaypainted. He came back and got me so we could leave, we went to the front desk to get the $20 deposit back but the man said he had to go to the room and count the towels first? Really?! I would most definitely spend the extra money to stay at a safe and more courteous hotel the next time we are in Portland. I would not reccomend especially if traveling with children.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business