“Reliable Budget Motel”

Ranked #70 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Los Angeles, California
“Reliable Budget Motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I recommend this property to travelers looking to sleep in a central location without spending a lot of money for that convenience.

I've stayed at this property on several occasions over the past five years, and I appreciate the good value for money: I booked a non-smoking Queen at a AAA-discounted rate of $71/night. I requested a second-floor room to eliminate any noise from above. The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The January chill necessitated use of the heater, which I ran on low whenever I was in the room. WiFi was fast and reliable. The bathroom didn't present any challenges: plenty of room to maneuver, decent lighting, and plenty of space on the spink for toiletries. Good water pressure in the shower. The towels were of good-quality motel variety (not fluffy but also not sandpaper-y -- just right).

The Portland Streetcar, Green/Yellow MAX lines, and several bus lines are each a short walk from the motel (I've never used a car in Portland, so I can't speak of the parking at the motel).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Doubletee_45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

First of all, I was looking to spend as little money on a hotel as possible because if I'm in Portland, I'm trying to spend my money on beer. Two of my most important factors in deciding on a hotel are price and location. The price was good (much lower than other hotels in Portland in the summer). I did find less expensive places to stay, but they would have been a half hour drive into the heart of Portland and I didn't want to do that. The Econo Lodge is centrally located. Those were the pluses.
On the minus side, even though I expect very little from a hotel when I pay little, I was still slightly disappointed with this one. Almost all the reviews on Tripadvisor were 4 stars (very good) or 5 stars (excellent). I'm sure the reviewers took into account price as well. In my opinion, this motel was OK at best. My particular room was musty; it was not well lit; the bed wasn't comfortable; and the bathroom was dilapidated. Do I care about granite countertops? Obviously not. I'm referring to the old, old wooden door of the bathroom that didn't close quite so well. I didn't examine it closely, but the carpet didn't seem very clean to me either; maybe it just felt dank. Honestly, I kept imagining that this place was the setting for a low budget horror movie (think dark, dilapidated, and musty).
In review, is this motel terrible? No. Would I stay here again? No. Even though i don't stay in my hotel room much, I would, in retrospect, pony up more money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Greg N
Oliver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We wanted to stay close to downtown and so picked this hotel based on the tripadvisor ratings. We stayed one night. The check-in process was smooth and the desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but clean. The beds were comfortable. There was a microwave and bar fridge in the room.

We were able to park right outside our door. This was helpful as we had a lot of luggage and bikes on a rack.

The hotel was pretty quiet but you could hear some of the local road noise.

The morning's continental breakfast was pretty basic but enough to get us up and on the road.

The hotel is located within walking distance of downtown. This was very helpful as we were able to wander around downtown and not have to worry about parking our vehicle.

All in all I would recommend this hotel.

The hotel is not really cheap but I guess the price is good for a downtown location. Don't forget it is $10 per night to park your car.

Room Tip: Second floor would be best if you don't have a lot of luggage
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed S
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

I got to stay at this place through random draw using Hotwire after my earlier choice of accommodation fell short of my expectations. The room was great enough for me, as I spent my days (from 9am till midnight) at the Convention Center.

If you don't require the perks of being at a hotel, other than an air conditioned room (a must in Portland summers of about 35C) and a comfy bed to sleep in, I would highly recommend this place.

It is close to transit (2-3 blocks away) which runs up to about 1:00am and you can get unlimited travel on Portland's MAX trains and buses for only $5 using a day pass! It takes about 30-40 minutes to get to the Convention Center area by either MAX or bus, and both methods of transit are air conditioned (if I can rate Portland's transit system, I'd give THAT 10/10 too!)

Again, this place is a good choice if you're a simpleton when it comes to needing a place to stay (be it for weekends or if you're on a road trip). If you don't need lavish amenities such as a business center, room service, etc., check this place out!

I'll definitely be looking out for Econolodge motels on my US trips after my stay here!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Calvin N
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I stayed here for 3 days for a conference downtown and had a fantastic stay. The room was so spacious and clean, more like a 3* hotel then a cheap budget hotel. The management were very helpful when I had to change my reservation due to a flight problem. This is a great hotel for a few nights stay, it is fine if you do not need luxury services. For food there are the fabulous food carts across the street.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank qt22x
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I just love Cindy!! She is the manager here and I found her to be very informative, knowledgable and VERY friendly! If there is anything you need to know, or if you need any kind of accomodation, she is the one!

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Vancouver Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Friendly, family-run spot right downtown.

The bathroom was clean and had abundant very hot water for the shower which was fantastic, and the bed was nice and comfortable.

It is indeed a motel, but it didn't feel like a point against this place at all... our car was safe parked overnight, and we were walking distance from the Saturday Farmer's Market which was perfect (LOVE that market!).

The desk staff were helpful with everything. A perfect stop on a roadtrip :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple