“Pleasant stay, comfortable, good value”

SpringHill Suites Portland Airport
Ranked #84 of 142 Hotels in Portland
on the go
“Pleasant stay, comfortable, good value”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Stayed here 2 nights on the way to the coast. Checking in was fast and easy! Parking is free and the breakfast was great. The normal items (fruit, bagels, cereals) but also hot cooked eggs, sausage and waffle makers to make your own waffles. Nice selection! We got a deal we felt, $89 a night. Room was modern and clean - loved the ipod clock/dock! The couch wasn't that comfy but the desk and mini kitchenette were handy. Bed/pillows were very comfortable. Not a lot of drawers and closet felt cramped but we lived out of our suitcases for the short stay. Would recommend!

Would stay here again! Requested the top floor and it was super quiet except for people in the halls. Wifi worked but you had to login constantly (a pain.)

Not far is the Columbia River Gorge, for walking or running. Eateries within walking distance were Subway, a chinese restaurant and an american restaurant. Not that far a drive is Costco and Round Table Pizza.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room, less street noise. If you would like fridge, request it when you book.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fotogirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2012

That's a direct quote from my husband and if he can't sleep in a hotel, it's LOUD. I'm a picky sleeper, but he is not and he got even less sleep than I did because I always travel with earplugs. Not that I got much, myself. I wish I had noted the traveler tip that said rooms ending in 1, 2, or 3 were noisy. We were in 403. To give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps other rooms are quieter, but given all the design flaws we saw, we weren't willing to try another room. Also, the door slamming probably affects any room, which was one of the main issues.

We were swayed by the description of the rooms as being all suites and being 25% bigger than standard hotels. Well, the living area was huge, but it was largely empty, which made it an echo chamber. We joked that we should go to Target and buy a soccer ball. Anywhere where you'd want the space to be used - bathroom, dresser, closet, bar area - were all small. The "privacy" wall separating the living and sleeping areas was basically just the tiny bit of wall containing the closet. Didn't really keep out any light or sound from the other area. The TV was flatscreen, but a small one, and it was hung from a moveable arm on a bit of wall that would have provided a poor viewing position from either the bed or the sofa (it was 10-15 feet away from the sofa), we didn't even bother trying.

Since we weren't watching TV, we actually spent the night on our laptop looking for another place to stay as soon as we could leave in the morning. And this was BEFORE the night of nonstop noise. As soon as we came in after dinner, it was the door-slamming Olympics. My husband jokingly wondered if the hotel was actually picking up noises from nearby hotels - we couldn't figure out how there were that many people slamming and stomping around. Perhaps the people above us had gotten a Target soccer ball and decided to play from at least 2:00 a.m. until my husband couldn't stand it any more around, 8:00 a.m. Overall, from the time we got in the room to the time we left, there was maybe an hour of quiet. And the funny thing is - it wasn't airport noise, we didn't really notice that, it was the actual noise within the hotel.

Other disappointments:
- The mini fridge had no temperature control, so it barely cooled our pop. I wouldn't have wanted to keep actual food in there.
- The bathroom light was connected to the (unsurprisingly) extremely loud exhaust fan, so using the bathroom in the night meant even more noise.
- While the room was clean, the bathtub grout definitely had some dirty patches, including one quite large black patch that was off-putting.
- My husband found the bed okay, but I didn't find it up to hotel standards - it was maybe a notch above our 10 year-old mattress at home. Both of us agreed the pillows were flat and awful.
- Other reviewers are right about the parking, there's very little and it's hard to tell which is for this hotel.

I don't know when the building was originally built, but this hotel had the feel of an attempted rehab/modernization on the cheap. I will say I liked the colour scheme and the attempt at retro-cool design, but that's about it. Breakfast was standard hotel stuff, fine to get you started.

I think the staff must get a lot of people leaving in a hurry and probably complaints - the greeting when we checked in was professional enough but no zero warmth or eye contact. When we checked out, a different girl was professional but blank. She didn't ask how our stay was and when we added "Early" to "We're checking out" she just said, "Yes." She clearly could not have cared less.

We only have a few days in Portland for our vacation and had to spend our first one dragging ourselves around exhaustedly because of this hotel, not to mention the inconvenience of finding somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Don't choose any, if you can help it! If you must, try the other reviewer's tip about avoidi...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tinylibrarian

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I arrived on August 23, 2012
The check in clerk asked me what type of room would I like. I was surprised by that question. I replied. Look at my profile. She did not know how to look at my profile.
Finally I was assigned a room. The TV was about to fall off from the wall.
I called the front desk and asked for a new room. I was moved to a new room. The bed looked like it was slept on. Cigarette burns in the cheap carpet. Stains on the cheap carpet.
Then no High Speen Internet as advertised. I complained to the inexperienced manager. She said she had no control over the internet quality.
Definitely not Marriott Quality.
I will not stay there again until the front desk staff is properly trained and the rooms are remodeled and they offer Highspeed Internet like they advertise.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank elliott99362
Roseville, California
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This was our first time at a Springhill Suites. The location is convenient to the airport and not that far from downtown. The room was clean, and there was a good variety for the free breakfast. We will likely stay there again the next time we visit Portland.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Checked in after arriving from east coast at night. The place is clean and quiet. Room was a suite but open between living area and bedroom. Breakfast was good with choices for most tastes. Close to airport so good if you arrive late or need to leave early. Room had microwave and fridge. Great for longer stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Maryland
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Nice, clean hotel.. I had a one king-bedroom and being a solo traveler it was plenty big for one person. TV's are flat screen which i like. Breakfast was very crowded so if you have a family you may have a hard time grabbing a table at peak times. My toilet broke down on my final morning and the front desk lady seemed fairly uninterested but said she would inform the owner later when they come in.. I didn't need it anymore but if I stayed i would have expected a maintenance person immediately. Overall, nice stay and no major issues.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This was our first time experience at a Springhill Suites. Well thought of computer/desk lighting area as well as nice bedding and comfy sleep. The staff was friendly. We were close to food and car rental for return. We will return when we fly into PDX next time!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple