“Not the greatest”

Ranked #74 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Dallas, TX
“Not the greatest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel is a nice place for one night stay, but anything longer and you might go insane.

The hotel itself is decent, nothing amazing like other of the same brand. The staff was nice, but always had the feeling they were being disturbed when you asked a question or had a request. The shuttle service is awkward, it is operated every 30 minutes in the morning by the next door Holiday Inn Express and then on demand by the hotel themselves after around 11AM.

The hotel WILL provide service to the local MAX (light rail) station but it is on request and you have to call. The shuttle driver was a bit of a speed demon and was a bit insane. Ended up renting a car to get around since the city is not very accessible by the rail and there is not much close in terms of food. There IS delivery available, but only pizza and chinese which both have a $20 minimum requirement.

The rooms are ok, nothing amazing. There is some stuff falling apart, paint peeling and some mold in the bathroom. Upon 2 days here, I would NOT return for another stay the next time I return to PDX.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cleves
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

4-day stay.

The staff is friendly and I especially liked the Happy Hour which featured many local craft beers.

I haven't stayed at many SpringHill Suites, but my expecations would be that my room would cleaned daily, including throwing away garbage, replacing coffee cups that were used, replacing coffee in the room, providing new shampoo/conditioner, etc. For example, I brought breakfast up to my room and when I returned later in the evening, the empty yougurt, muffin wrapper and milk container had not thrown away. Same was true of a beer bottle from my first night

I was disappointed on my second day when I went to make a pot of coffee only to find no coffee. It wasn't replaced for the entire week.

I other minor issue: had to move bed and night stands in order to get to an outlet to plug in phone and laptop. Need a better design for business travelers.

Not up to the usual Marriott standards.

Room Tip: Stay in back of hotel. Rooms with low number in the front of hotel closer to main road and can be n...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Marriott is my hotel chain of choice when I travel. I usually looked for a Spring Hill because in my past experience they were always just noticeably nicer than the others. Well...not this one. First, the good stuff. Very friendly staff. I had an early Sunday morning flight out. I had to checkout before breakfast was served. The clerk at the desk was nice enough to plug in the toaster and make everything available to me except hot food. Very strong service and I would know as it's what I evaluate for a living.
A very convenient location.
Now the bad. My room smelled odd. The legs on the bedside tables were bent. The hot breakfast food is the worst I have ever had at a hotel.
My job will take me back to Portland in the near future. It's safe to say I will not be back to this particular Marriott hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Doug D
Springfield, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I checked in late night and got to my room. I went to bed and then the grossness kicked in. It looked like someone had been stabbed. There was Blood drops all over the carpet. That was creepy. The split couch was not good either. I had rolled my ankle and didn't realize the couch was 2 pieces and when I grapped the arm for support, I went down like a ton of bricks. In the bathroom, the trim was coming off the walls and the seal around the toilet was coming off. I stay in hotels about 125 nights a year or more. Worst Marriott property ever.

Room Tip: The bloody room was on the second floor. Avoid king beds on second floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike S
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel was clean, the staff was great, and it is a good location for anyone needing to catch an early flight. The room was spacious, had a fridge and microwave, and had a good breakfast. Although it is near the airport, I did not hear planes flying overhead which made for nice sleeping.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kansas City, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and kids were looking for a place near the airport after a long flight from Kansas City. They had reservations, but were going to arrived late and had to cancel. They figured, we will just call the SpringHill SuitesMarriott. We have stayed at many SpringHill Suites all over the country and figured this one would be as accommodating as all the rest. NO WAY. They were told by this hotel there were rooms available, but when they arrived, the front desk people told them there were no rooms. My wife had just called them from the airport not 15 minutes prior. The two people at the front desk were totally unhelpful and were condesending to them. It was late, 10:00 in the evening and this place would not even suggest or call the Fairfield or Courtyard accross the street. This was the least friendly Marriott hotel we have ever encountered, and if you happen to fly to Portland, do not stay at the SpringHill Suites Portland Airport.

Room Tip: The Fairfield Marriott accross the street is by far a better selection - very friendly and accommoda...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I am usually very easy to please. In Portland for business and am dreading staying here for a second night. Dirty washcloth in sink upon arrival. Slow checkin process. Room SMELLS AWFUL. television will not work, wanted to wind down after a long day and am now frustrated, was given quick fix instructions on the phone...what?!?! Called back, could come up in 10 minutes to show me how to fix it. Hmmm. Will be asking for a new room in the morning, would change hotels if there weren't 4 of us staying here in 4 different rooms. . I do hundreds of bookings for my work business for our employee travel. I will never consider this hotel again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business