“somewhat disappointed”

SpringHill Suites Portland Airport
Ranked #81 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 20 January 2014

this has been our hotel of choice when flying out of PDX for many years. Always clean, price incl. leaving a car for up to 14 days reasonable.

the lady in charge of breakfast and also driving the shuttle is super nice and professional.
We understand she works Monday through Friday.

this time, we stayed because of a medical appointment, which necessitated 2 overnights stays
the room was clean as usual, but there were small spots of black mold on the tub surround.

breakfast was ok, as far as the offerings. Fresh fruit addition is nice.

BUT: the weekend end crew was not up to the standards we had come to expect.
They did very little checking on the serving area, i.e. neatening up and refilling. We observed several people trying to get their attention ( in the area beyond the breakfast room, where they hung out.l) to get coffeepots refilled.
When it got close to 10 AM, the 'closing time", they did not refill fruit, eggs etc. , although people were still coming in around 9:45.
the area by the eggs and oatmeal by that time was messy, with spilled stuff and even on the floor.
We were just finishing our coffee when we observed one of the servers checking the overflowing trash bins, pushing stuff down with her BARE hands..... then going to the breakfast area to check things, touching the rolls, bagels... pushing them back .... with those same hands. That is not acceptable.!!

when we checked out, the manager was unavailable, no use talking to the person at the reception desk, as she had been hanging out in the area beyond the breakfast room with the servers several times...
I couldn't find a contact number for the manager, so had to air this via trip advisor.
I hope someone from the hotel reads it and takes action.

Room Tip: if you have elite status, don't expect to be automatically put in a better room. Ask for one on...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank oregonoma4
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Portland Airport

Reviewed 3 January 2014

First of all, on the shuttle ride from the airport, we discovered the same people own this Springhill Suite and the Holiday Inn Express next door, which another guest didn't know (who would?) and so she didn't get on the HIE shuttle and waited 45 minutes. Very poor communication to the customer. We stayed 5 nights before Xmas. Service was shoddy as described in other recent reviews. Pool was "out-of-order" for 3 days. Nice room decor but bathroom needs refreshing, I.e. Replace grout or caulk around bathtub/shower. Cheap plastic toilet seat kept coming off, if you can believe that! Maybe should stay at Holiday Inn Express as that's about the level of treatment/value I received, which is certainly not Marriott standards!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This hotel is a nice place for one night stay, but anything longer and you might go insane.

The hotel itself is decent, nothing amazing like other of the same brand. The staff was nice, but always had the feeling they were being disturbed when you asked a question or had a request. The shuttle service is awkward, it is operated every 30 minutes in the morning by the next door Holiday Inn Express and then on demand by the hotel themselves after around 11AM.

The hotel WILL provide service to the local MAX (light rail) station but it is on request and you have to call. The shuttle driver was a bit of a speed demon and was a bit insane. Ended up renting a car to get around since the city is not very accessible by the rail and there is not much close in terms of food. There IS delivery available, but only pizza and chinese which both have a $20 minimum requirement.

The rooms are ok, nothing amazing. There is some stuff falling apart, paint peeling and some mold in the bathroom. Upon 2 days here, I would NOT return for another stay the next time I return to PDX.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 December 2013

4-day stay.

The staff is friendly and I especially liked the Happy Hour which featured many local craft beers.

I haven't stayed at many SpringHill Suites, but my expecations would be that my room would cleaned daily, including throwing away garbage, replacing coffee cups that were used, replacing coffee in the room, providing new shampoo/conditioner, etc. For example, I brought breakfast up to my room and when I returned later in the evening, the empty yougurt, muffin wrapper and milk container had not thrown away. Same was true of a beer bottle from my first night

I was disappointed on my second day when I went to make a pot of coffee only to find no coffee. It wasn't replaced for the entire week.

I other minor issue: had to move bed and night stands in order to get to an outlet to plug in phone and laptop. Need a better design for business travelers.

Not up to the usual Marriott standards.

Room Tip: Stay in back of hotel. Rooms with low number in the front of hotel closer to main road and can be n...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Marriott is my hotel chain of choice when I travel. I usually looked for a Spring Hill because in my past experience they were always just noticeably nicer than the others. Well...not this one. First, the good stuff. Very friendly staff. I had an early Sunday morning flight out. I had to checkout before breakfast was served. The clerk at the desk was nice enough to plug in the toaster and make everything available to me except hot food. Very strong service and I would know as it's what I evaluate for a living.
A very convenient location.
Now the bad. My room smelled odd. The legs on the bedside tables were bent. The hot breakfast food is the worst I have ever had at a hotel.
My job will take me back to Portland in the near future. It's safe to say I will not be back to this particular Marriott hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Doug D
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I checked in late night and got to my room. I went to bed and then the grossness kicked in. It looked like someone had been stabbed. There was Blood drops all over the carpet. That was creepy. The split couch was not good either. I had rolled my ankle and didn't realize the couch was 2 pieces and when I grapped the arm for support, I went down like a ton of bricks. In the bathroom, the trim was coming off the walls and the seal around the toilet was coming off. I stay in hotels about 125 nights a year or more. Worst Marriott property ever.

Room Tip: The bloody room was on the second floor. Avoid king beds on second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel was clean, the staff was great, and it is a good location for anyone needing to catch an early flight. The room was spacious, had a fridge and microwave, and had a good breakfast. Although it is near the airport, I did not hear planes flying overhead which made for nice sleeping.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business