“Ready for some grilled dead animals”
Review of Ox Restaurant

Ox Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 4,813 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$45 - US$75
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

Great place if u like red meat and lots of it but be ready to pay a hefty price for it.....I mean a lot of $$$. You have lots of options of lamb, beef steak, pork or ribs. Pretty extravagant choices and fancy names; in return you pay . Taste is very good; the blood sausage is interesting and the beef is very tender. Service is great and choices of food, drinks and veg is plentiful

Reviewed 3 August 2018

This was most definitely my favorite and memorable dining experience ever!
1st off, they have a lovely "waiting for your table" Bar next door that has a Fresh Oyster Bar and Wonderful Bar Menu with Appetizers.
In the Main Restaurant, the Decor and Ambiance is beautiful and I felt so comfortable there.
The Staff was very Nice, Fun and Friendly.
The Drink List was Incredible and so Diverse.
The Cuisine was Absolutely Outstanding, Eclectic, Mouthwatering and Unbelievably Utterly Divine. The variety of flavors and ingredients were a massive combination that I have never experienced before.
We had the Cured Salmon Poke, Oysters on the 1/2 Shell w/ an amazing Variety of Sauce's, Grilled Green Beans with Dungeness Crab, Sauteed Mushrooms w/ Foie Gras & Spinach and then came the THE most insanely Yummy Desserts on the planet......Hazelnut Torte w/ Honey Chamomile Ice Cream and the Chocolate Olive Oil Cake w/ Bourbon Ice Cream and Pecans.
I have not ever left a Restaurant feeling this Satiated in my life!!
They have an amazing Cook Book from the two Chef/Owners which I can't wait to try everything in it!! I wish I were visiting for a longer period of time as I would have been there every night! A definite must for Locals and Visitors.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

During our previous Portland trip we caught lunch at Ox Box — the choripan-serving outdoor grill Ox operates in its parking lot during the summer months — and loved it. So this trip we wanted to try Ox.

Ox does not take reservations, so we decided to arrive relatively early (6:15p) on a weeknight and, gratefully, were seated straight away. We approached the meal “family-style,” which is to say we just shared everything, the better to sample more items.

We started with a spiced beef empanada with diced green olives and raisins, which was quite good — flavorful without being spicy. Our next course was a Dungeness crab bruschetta, which was the “surf” to an otherwise “turf”-favoring meal; cool and refreshing, and so particularly good mid-summer. Our entree was the 12 oz. Uruguayan ribeye, which we paired with an a la carte roasted cauliflower with golden raisin vinaigrette, mint, and sesame seeds. The cauliflower was quite good, due in no small part to the vinaigrette. Of all the dishes we ordered, it was surprising — and a little disappointing — that the ribeye was the weakest link, but it was. We ordered our ribeye cooked “medium” and it came more like “medium rare”; worse yet, it had quite a lot of fat on it. We elected to order dessert after the ribeye proved less filling than anticipated and the tres leches cake (served with Marionberry ice cream & meringue) was a nice end to the meal.

Ideally we would be able to rate Ox 3.5 stars, but we’ll round up since the overall experience was fairly good. We would probably be willing to return.

Reviewed 24 July 2018

I don't like to wait for a table and the wait was to be an hour. A lounge owned by the restaurant next door made the wait go very quickly. We were able to order a great beer and an appetizer. The pistachio nuts are outstanding. We were seated at the bar for dinner where it was a little warm from their fire oven. However, it was great entertainment watching the food being prepared and asking questions of the cooks. It was recommended by the waiter that we share the dishes because there portions are rather large. The brisket was to die for and the carrots were the best I have ever had. Don't miss an opportunity to try this amazing restaurant.

Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

We had a magnificent evening. The much touted clam chowder was truly fantastic. It may very well be the best thing I have eaten... to date! See our picture! The restaurant decor & athmosphere is a fresh cut above, a fun environment to be in. The apps & sides were our favorite. The protiens were great, but the well-worth-it richness of the clam chowder was center stage. Our Son thoroughly enjoyed his cocktails while we had a nice Tempranillo. The ambience was ideally suited for just that.
What a great evening!