“Skip Voodoos and line up here early!”
Review of Blue Star Donuts

Blue Star Donuts
Ranked #1 of 68 Bakeries in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Vancouver, Canada
“Skip Voodoos and line up here early!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Loved the array of unique flavors. Every donut was packed with a punch with organic glazes and fillings.

Visited August 2014

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Portland, OR
“New Craze”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

An upscale version of Voodoo donuts, and in a much better location. We like the apple fritter, and it is a good one to share. But we aren't partial to glazed donuts in general, and there are few choices in the cake ones. Interesting combinations of flavors all round, and since there is usually a line, everybody else seems to enjoy them a lot.

Visited August 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very cool”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I would skip the other more famous place and go to blue star. Fabulous product in a very comfortable and modern environment.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Yum”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Got there about 4pm on a Sunday, having decided Voodoo Donuts had too big a queue, and not much left at Blue Star! But we got their famous blueberry, bourbon & basil ring which was lovely, and a key lime filled donut which was also nice. Hope to return when more selection available.

Ashburn, VA
“Get them while they last.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stopped by here on a Tuesday around 5pm, found a place to park and walked to the store. Imagine my surprise when we got there and there was a sign that said CLOSED – Sold Out. I mean really – when your business is to make doughnuts, how do you run out?

We ended up back in downtown later in the week (about 5pm on Friday) and stopped back by here again. This time, they were open! There was nobody in line, so we just walked right in. The place is the polar opposite of Voodoo Doughnuts. It’s light, airy, sparsely decorated and feels very clean. They apparently only make a limited number of doughnuts each day and a limited number of flavors as well. They had about 6 flavors to choose from the day we were there. I like chocolate, but unfortunately they had no chocolate doughnuts available. I don’t recall all the flavors they had, but there was a blueberry, lemon poppy seed, Chocolate Almond Ganache & Maple Bacon. My husband got the Chocolate Almond Ganache and he loved it. I got the Maple Bacon, not because I thought it would be amazing, but because they had nothing else I wanted and I thought it would be fun to try. These doughnuts tasted nothing like Voodoo. They were much lighter and more upscale. The glazed reminded me of a Krispy Kreme doughnut, except it wasn't hot. By the way, you haven’t lived until you've had a fresh and hot Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut. It truly melts in your mouth. But I digress, both of the Blue Star doughnuts were delicious, but I won’t ever get a doughnut with bacon on top again. Not a flavor combo I care to repeat. If we had to choose between the 2, my husband preferred the doughnut he had from Blue Star and I preferred the doughnut I had from Voodoo.

• Visited July 2014