“Good Pre Theater Dinner”

Higgins Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Higgins Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 4,473 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$21 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We had hoped to eat in the Bistro, but it was full. We were attending an Americas Test Kitchen presentation at a nearby theater and did not want a large meal. The waiter mentioned they would split entrees, so we had a NY steak and it was excellent and just the right amount. We found the menu to be a bit eclectic but evidently they changes things a bit as the current web site menu seems different that we remember.

That said, the food was excellent and the service was very good. I would recommend coming early and going to the Bistro for a lighter fare before the theater. A good place to eat in downtown Portland.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

The restaurant was completely empty except for our table from 5:20-5:45. Admittedly on a Monday night after Thanksgiving, but still not a great sign.

The building/atmosphere is nice and upscale.

Service professional and attentive. Water glass must have been filled 15 times. I will say the time between courses was much too long. Sometimes we sat there sort of staring at each other with no food on the table for 15 minutes.

The food was a little less than one would anticipate after reading the menu - meaning, underwhelming.

My appetizer of prawns had a strong flavor profile, which is not to say it was a good flavor profile. Maybe it was me, but seemed like a big misfire - as a special of the night, it should be great.

Entree of risotto was unremarkable.

Dessert, buche de noel, was quite good...delicate, restrained, and not too sweet. Quite European dessert, if I had to describe it.

Overall, the place is let down by the food. Maybe needs more tasting by the chefs and staff to get the food on track.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We ate here for thanksgiving and the mean was yummy. We have also eaten here for normal dinner and the food was equally yummy. The restaurant has a vaguely Italian style but mostly they cook seasonal dishes in a pan-European style. This is a safe place to take both those who like good food and those with less adventurous pallets. Service was solid and value for money is good.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have debated on this review which has made me hold off on all my reviews for this trip. I must admit, I was expecting MUCH MORE!! I was expecting a lot of options of Seafood. Instead I was given options of Mussels and Clams (which I can not eat). I was truly thinking since we were so close to an ocean surely there was going to be shrimp, lobster or crab legs on the menu even as a special but there was not. I was truly disappointed!!! However, I ended up with the pork chop that was juicy, thick and quite good. The wine was delicious and the waiter was efficient, nice and always had a smile on his face. We had a large party and everyone received their meal at the same time and it was all hot.

The restaurant is quite noisy and would suggest better acoustics so patrons don't feel like they are yelling and so the patrons can actually hear their waiters. Would also suggest a little more variety in their menu. I don't think anyone in our party was particularly impressed with the food to warrant returning on another visit. Plenty of other restaurants to explore. We had dinner at an AMAZING restaurant the following night that we were quite pleased with actually.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We have been here many times for dinner and it has always been very good. Greg is an excellent chef! The food, and service this time around was no exception; very good. The atmosphere is nice, quite and relaxing.