“Almost perfect restaurant”

Ranked #138 of 4,252 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Northwest District
Portland, Oregon
“Almost perfect restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Cafe Mingo is a sister restaurant to Bar Mingo, which is right next door. I've eaten in the Bar and the food was good, but the Cafe outdid her brother. From the wine through the salad to the entree, everything was wonderful. My salad was the butter leaf lettuce with shaved fennel, grapes, prosecco vinaigrette, candied walnuts and wine soaked cheese. It would have been melt in your mouth perfection, had the lettuce pieces been cut to a more comfortable size. The fennel and walnuts were perfect additions to this starter. I also tasted my friend's risotto, saucy and flavorful, and the rice was cooked with just a bit of a bite. Couldn't ask for better. We both followed our starters with the sugo of beef braised in Chianti and espresso, with penne pasta. Unlike most Italian restaurants the entree wasn't terribly huge--just perfect for one serving. And the meat was super tender and very, very flavorful. The amount of sauce was minimal, just coating the pasta--just the way it should be. Both my friend and I agreed that the chef couldn't have made it any better than it was.

If there is a negative it is that the restaurant is very small, and rapidly got super-crowded, though the noise level was kept low.

Cafe Mingo is located in a very busy area of Portland, and on-street parking is minimal. We were very, very happy to find that aroud the corner, in back of the restaurant, is a valet parking area. This made our trip to Cafe Mingo even better.

We will return!

• Visited January 2014

Vancouver, Washington
“Wonderful food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband surprised me with dinner here for our anniversary. I loved all the unique menu items. I had the risotto; it was yummy. The wait staff was very friendly, it seemed like he knew everyone and the couple next to us said they ate here every week. I want to come back and try other items. The only reason I did not give it a 5 rating is because of our seats. We made reservations, and mentioned it was our anniversary. We were seated next to the door and it was cold that day, so they pulled a curtain to block the wind I think. The curtain hit me every time the door opened (which was a lot). It was not very romantic in that respect.

• Visited December 2013
Oregon
“Out of the Ordinary Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

This little restaurant has an imaginative menu that is exceptionally executed. Who knew that Brussels Sprouts could be so good? If you go on a weekend, I hope you have the pleasure of having Katie serve you. She knows the menu, picks right up on likes and dislikes and can recommend just the right wine. I can't wait to return.

Visited January 2014
Europe
“Loved it, loved it, loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Great small restaurant with open kitchen, friendly and efficient staff and wonderful food. We especially enjoyed the appetizers (creative, flavourful), the dessert and the wines. The wait staff are very experienced and know their stuff (rely on their recommendations!). There are options for vegetarians and carnivores alike. The place was full when we first arrived but we went next door and had a drink at their sister restaurant. Although busy, the noise level was not disturbing. This is a gem. Just go and enjoy!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank lovestravelling2003
Reno, NV
“Neighborhood Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Wife and I dined on a Sunday evening. Reserved in advance and staff was very accommodating when we phoned to arrive early. This neighborhood gem was delightful from start to finish. Service was outstanding and the food simply perfect. We enjoyed a nice Chianti with the beet salad and heirloom tomato caprese. Entrees were an extremely fresh halibut and my wife enjoyed the gnocchi. While my fish was excellent, the gnocchi took first place. I highly recommend Caffe Mingo for an Italian treat in Portland.

Visited September 2013