“Fantastic top notch food - definitely worth going to!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castagna

Castagna
Reserve with OpenTable
Castagna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #446 of 4,238 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$8 - US$40
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: SE 18th
Transit: Trimet bus line #14
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic top notch food - definitely worth going to!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

After traveling through Europe in previous trips, we were amazed to find this intimate restaurant off the beaten track in a small area not far from downtown Portland. The menu was set and we went with the wine pairing as well, we were not disappointed, from the 5 'snacks' at the start, which were made with such intense detail, to the delicious dessert.....we were blown away by the intensity of flavours and the beautiful presentation of each course. Great price and the service very good.

• Visited July 2013

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Loved the R&B playing in the background ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Dinner was delicious, and our server Kayla was wonderful. The portions were perfectly sized (hate having left overs when we are staying in a hotel!) . Eating outdoors is an option, but we decided to dine in, as there was wonderful R&B music playing in the background ... not too loud, very easy to converse as we ate. Would recommend this one located on Hawthorne Blvd. and will certainly go again!

• Visited July 2013
London, England
“Our Best Meal of the Trip?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Having arrived from the UK approx 3 hours earlier, we wondered whether we would stand up to dinner at what effectively was 4 in the morning.
However the quality of the food in the restaurant, the relaxed and excellent service and the general positive spacious feel of the place made sure we did not fall in asleep in our 'soup'!
We opted for the short menu rather than the tasting one but the numerous amazing 'snacks' at the start of the meal felt as if it was a degustation after all.
The 'snacks' displayed some excellent cooking, with small plates packed with flavour and texture; a pea based cream plate was the highlight. Both the asparagus salad starter and halibut main were also excellent.
Although this meal was at the end of a long plan trip and we ate at some decent venues in our 15 days on the west coast, my wife and I both thought this was probably the best overall dining experience of our stay.

• Visited June 2013
Tualatin, Oregon
“Yummy birthday dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

We decided to go to Cafe Castagna for my birthday dinner in early May. The weather in Portland was amazing and we sat outside on the patio, which while right off of Hawthorne was very pleasant and had a cute view of houses across the street.

The food was delicious. We started with a couple of cocktails and a scallop appetizer. Fresh, light, and cooked perfectly. We moved on to the asparagus and egg pizza. The crust was tasty tasty! We finished up with a New York Strip - the fries that came with it were probably the best fries I have ever had a restaurant. Finished with two desserts, a rhubarb and strawberry crisp and a gelato in espresso.

The server was attentive and gave good recommendations on food. Not as helpful when it came to the cocktails, as I wanted something spicy. The first one I had was delicious, but when I asked for a little more kick, she told me she didn't think they could do it. Muddling a jalepeno or adding something (I'm sure the bartender could have advised) would have sufficed. Not a huge problem though - that would be my only complaint.

Go and try it out!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kennewick, Washington
“Attentive staff, wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

We had dinner here yesterday w/ friends and we can't say enough good things about the restaurant and staff. Not only did all our senses delight in the parade of food from start to finish, we were also most impressed with how attentive the staff was in particular to our son's nut allergy. When he could not partake of a certain dish, they substituted another. They never made him feel like it was a nuisance. We have eaten in many top restaurants and Castagna stood out in this regard. When I unfortunately had to leave before I could finish my dinner to take care of our dogs back in the hotel, the staff promptly informed me they would adjust the pre-fixe bill to exclude what I could not partake of, and offered to whip something up from the cafe for me to take for dinner instead. Our families had an unforgettable experience and our tweens ( sounding very much like judges on Iron Chef ,and who were at all times treated equally with respect as the adults) are still talking about the amazing fusion of flavors they enjoyed. Overall, it is an experience worth repeating and next time, I will make sure the dogs stay home!

• Visited April 2013