“Exquisite breakfast...upscale feel without inflated prices”
Review of Alameda Cafe - CLOSED

Alameda Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 20 April 2013

We are trying to sample as many breakfast spots in Portland as possible since it is our favorite meal out. However, after being blown away by the quaint and cozy vibe inside the restaurant and the excellent Columbia breakfast plate which includes 2 eggs, specialty breaded and fried french bread slice, hash browns and choice of meat (for me that means bacon!), we keep coming back.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

I had previously been a fan of the Alameda Cafe on Fremont: the neighborhood feel of the place, the lovely breakfasts and home-cooked dinners. I recently had occasion for breakfast there to meet a business associate on a damp Portland morning.
The place was busy with customers and the chap waiting tables and running the place did tremendous work to try to keep things moving. You could sense there was a tension between the front of house and the kitchen however.
Busy is fine: a delay is no problem. The real issue for us was food quality. The traditional breakfast we had was overcooked; bacon to a crisp, dull dry homefries and eggs that were not to spec. Things had the taste of being kept too long under a heating lamp. Frankly, we were disappointed.
I would like to see the Alameda rise again: perhaps there were staff issues that particular day - but the place was not a patch on its historic and familiar, reliable high standard.

1  Thank ernestBT48
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I spent the Thanksgiving holiday in Portland with family. Weighing several options, we chose the Alameda Cafe. It was a cold and very rainy day in Portland and the Alameda Cafe hit the spot. I had a wonderful Alameda burger with cheddar cheese. It came with a choice of several items and I chose their bleu cheese bacon coleslaw which was really delicious! You know that it is going to be a good burger when they ask you how you would like your burger cooked. My daughter had the grilled arugula and goat cheese sandwich with the hand cut french fries. The fries were really good. I work for a potato company so I know a thing or two about fries and these were really well done. Overall it was a really nice lunch experience. Our waitress was attentive and efficient. The prices were quite reasonable for the quality of food that was served.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

On our recent trip to my Wife's hometown, we had lunch at the Alameda Café on October 18, 2012. Having just gotten off the airplane, we needed some food!

The Alameda Café was sold and is under New management. Sometimes that's a bad thing but not for the Alameda Café! The food is better than before! Is that possible? I suggest that you try it ASAP.

My wife ordered the Veggie Melt with soup and coffee. I decided to try the Mushroom Swiss Burger which I like well done, along with fries and an ice tea. My wife reported her meal was great–second hand information. Here's my first hand report on my lunch–It was the BEST Burger that I ever had! The burger was hand formed, so it was not "tight" and arrived as ordered. The mushrooms and onions were covered with melted cheese–OMG! It was love at first bite and I am not kidding! The french fries were also cooked to perfection. So glad that we stopped here on our way to Cannon Beach. During our drive, I just remembered that great burger!

Before we left the Alameda Café, we spoke with the new owner. We told her how great the meal was as she wondered how we found her restaurant. My wife was born and raised in Portland, so that was our connection to the Alameda Café. During each visit home, we always stop in for a great meal. If you live or travel to this area, my all means do not pass this restaurant up! One big change that was made–they are now open for Dinner! Our total cost for lunch was $23.75 + tip. Very reasonable for a great lunch.

1  Thank PropellerJourney
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Have been to Portland twice these past few months, and both times visited Alameda brewpub. The menu had a very wide selection, food was good both times, prices were reasonable and service was friendly and efficient. However, the highlight was the Yellow Wolf IPA, a delicious Imperial IPA that is less than $2 per pint in house, which is a steal! This will definitely be a regular stop for me whenever I'm back in Portland.

1  Thank happywandererBC