“Our family's favorite breakfast place”

Zell's - An American Cafe
Ranked #182 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our family LOVES Zell's!!! We have enjoyed many a breakfast here and are always 100% satisfied. The wait staff is super friendly, and we love the little scones with jam that are complimentary. One of our most favorite things is that the iced coffee has coffee ice cubes. No watered down coffee! The omelets are cooked perfectly with lots of options for fillings. We also love that you can order a side of veggies instead of potatoes and bread. We have had a few 15-20 minute waits here on the weekend, but when we arrive before 8:30 am, we usually get seated right away. If your family needs a new "go-to" breakfast place, go to Zells.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

After perusing our various options for Sunday brunch, we decided on Zell's. The menu options and reviews on Tripadvisor won us over. We also had been to the neighborhood and liked the vibe. We were not disappointed!

Small old-school dining room with patrons waiting out-side sipping on coffee as the crowds built up. Arrive before 10am! It was bustling but a place at the vintage bar was open for the two of us. No waiting there! Service was excellent and the staff were kind - despite the rush.

The hot scones and jam were wonderful as we awaited our order. I can highly recommend the baked salmon eggs benedict- cooked perfectly. Plenty of other options on the menu could have swayed us as well so well be back!

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

First visited this fantastic cafe for superb breakfasts with top quality, seasonal best ingredients while attending Reed in 1990. It takes twenty years of having breakfast all over the U.S. to truly appreciate what a special place Portland's Zell's is. My first visit in ten years, Zell's again satisfied the palate and soul. Highly recommended to all travelers, parking on neighborhood streets available, and we had no wait for a table on a Tuesday mid-morning.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Great reviews from trip advisor led my husband and I to Zell's today for brunch. I decided to try their orange fennel rye pancakes and my husband got his usual eggs and potatoes. You have to try these unique pancakes! They were deliciously light and favorable. I don't think I can go back to regular pancakes again. The orange was refreshing with just a hint of fennel and rye. We had the most charming server that comped our side of bacon because it took a long time getting to us. Busy place because it is so good so plan on a 15 minute wait or more on sunny days. Worth checking out!!

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was my regular breakfast spot when I lived in Portland and now I find myself revisiting whenever I'm in town. Delicious eggs Benedict, both the traditional and the baked salmon version. Love love the little scones and jam brought out when you first sit down especially with a hot pot of loose leaf tea! Great, consistent place with friendly service and of course a bit of a wait on the weekends. Try their German pancake with powdered sugar and lemon wedges for something on the sweet side!