“A welcome meal after a long day”
Review of Silk - CLOSED

Silk
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Pearl
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My family and I went to Silk for dinner after walking around Portland most of the day. We were tired, hungry, and thirsty but we didn't want to eat just anywhere. We decided to try Silk and even though we didn't have reservations, we were seated within 5 minutes of walking in the door.

The decor is understated and classy but still comfortable for us in our jeans and tennis shoes. We ordered an appetizer of dumplings, which came in a bowl with a sauce drizzled over them. The dumplings were good but the sauce was wonderful. I could have eaten just the sauce and been very happy. I ordered the Crazy Noodles (but requested no peanuts, which the restaurant was happy to do). My daughter ordered a carmelized pork dish, and my fiance ordered a curry dish. Each meal was delicious in its own way--the curry was spicy but not overwhelming, the carmelized pork was sweet and tender, and the crazy noodles had a wonderful, complex flavor that I enjoyed from the first bite to the last.

The service was good and efficient. Our server was very businesslike and moved quickly between her tables. She didn't present as friendly but certainly came across as a professional who does her job well.

If I am ever in Portland again, I will keep Silk on my list of places worth returning to.

There are newer reviews for Silk

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The food was good, but not the best I've ever had. The pork belly was overcooked and tough and the presentation was pretty but not tasty. I would have liked to see a better variety of vermicelli bowls offered. But, I'd go back without hesitating.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I were staying in the Pearl district just around the corner from this restaurant and admired the décor every time we walked by. We thought about eating here, but questioned some of the reviews on line.. I'm so glad we decided to ignore the few less than positive comments. We were seated promptly and offered the happy hour menu. It is extensive for happy hour and the portions were large. Although they are known for their fancy cocktails, we had an early flight in the morning and stuck with wine and beer, both were extremely acceptable and very reasonable. Our server, Laura, was a pleasure to deal with, pleasant but not overly effusive and never said that famous phrase "absolutely" which usually strikes me as trained restaurant patter. We ordered 5 dishes over time from the happy hour menu and enjoyed them all , especially the lemongrass chicken, which Laura said was her favorite. The salad rolls and pork belly were both very authentic and well seasoned with fresh cilantro. The atmosphere was sleek and semi sophisticated, music a pleasant backdrop, and ambiance over all serene and inviting.
While in Portland we tried a full range of restaurants, this was one of our favorites! Well worth seeking out if you like a calm atmosphere, pleasant service, soothing décor and fresh Vietnamese food.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

2 things that blew us away and hard to find this good of quality these days:

Salad rolls & the lemongrass chicken noodle dish.

Everyone's raves proved to be worthy!
Thank you Silk restaurant for this great food experience for us out-of-towners.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Choose this restaurant as we had been travelling around the mountains and fancied some exotic food. We were immediately impressed with the decor and style and also the prompt service. The food was superb, the spring roll starters were larger than expected and delicious. The salad rolls were extremely tasty and obviously fresh. The main courses of lemongrass chicken and chicken curry were equally delicious. Having eaten Vietnamese food in Hanoi and elsewhere I would not hesitate in recommending this restaurant.