“Best Pancakes Ever!”
Review of Veritable Quandary - CLOSED

Veritable Quandary
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We had Fathers Day Brunch at Veritable Quandary. I would first like to tell the staff how much we appreciate their willingness to change our reservation not once, but twice as more people decided to join us. The service was fast and friendly and able to give knowledgeable answers when questions were asked. Our table had the Dungeness Crab Benedict, Brioche French Toast, Monte Cristo and the King's Choice Breakfast everyone thought their meal was very good. I had the Johnny Cakes with local strawberries, rhubarb and ginger. These pancakes made with corn meal were placed in the middle of a warm rhubarb ginger compote and topped with berries and honey creme fraiche. They were the best pancakes I have ever had. Given this first visit on a busy holiday I would recommend Veritable Quandary for brunch.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Terrific late night bar menu and desserts. Excellent service. Great atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Our hotel recommended us this restaurant, and I can recommend it forward. The food was great, the service very fresh and friendly. The wine recommendation from the service was also a good choice. Finally, we got "real" european coffee...
Only negative point: air conditionned was just coming out below our table, fortunately not continuously, so it was a bit cold from time to time.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Modest but engaging. The VQ is one of our favorite downtown spots. Great food; good service.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

During our recent trip to Portland, my husband and I wanted to go out for a nice dinner. Based on reviews here on TripAdvisor we chose Veritable Quandary and were very pleased. We arrived a little before the restaurant opened for dinner and had to wait in the bar (which was packed), but as soon as 5 p.m. rolled around they had us seated immediately.

The waitress was wonderful. She recommended a fantastic pinot noir (by the glass) for me and my husband was very happy with the martini he ordered. I had Wild Oregon King Salmon with roasted corn sauce, fingerling potatoes, agretti greens & porcini mushrooms. My husband had the Hawaiian swordfish with sweet black coconut rice, fresh mango, cashews, stacey's radishes and lime. Both fishes were cooked medium rare, the presentation was lovely and the food was excellent. We would happily have licked our plates. For dessert we split strawberry rhubarb crisp with vanilla ice cream. It was delicious.

Honestly, we could happily have tried most everything on the menu. In addition to their superb food, Veritable Quandary also has an extensive wine list and has received Wine Spectator awards for many, many years. The cocktails are strong and well made. The staff is very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. I would strongly recommend trying VQ out if you are in the area and will happily return the next time I make it to Portland.