“Not worth the wait”

Ranked #2 of 80 Bakeries in Portland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the wait”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My first and last visit to Voo Doo was this morning. My kids rave about it, and I thought it would be fun to take a dozen to a meeting I needed to be at in Vancouver at 8:00. I entered the store at 7:25, knowing I would need 15 minutes to get to my destination. Horrified at the "Cash Only" sign, I checked my wallet - and only had $10. The line was long enough that I couldn't see how much a dozen donuts cost - so I got out of line to look - only to lose my place. 15 minutes later, I left, upset that only 3 people had been helped in that time. The poor girl at the counter was doing her best - but there were a bunch of hippies moving quite slowly in the back, and one sitting on the curb in the parking lot taking a break. One man in a black shirt and black beard, who looked like he hadn't showered in a few days - let alone possibly serving food - moved so slowly, he must have had lead in his shoes. One other person (a woman) went back and forth from the kitchen. Nobody bothered to notice there was a line of people waiting to be helped. You obviously don't need my business, and believe me, you'll never get it. Send your people to customer service training.

• Visited June 2011

• Thai first
Los Angeles, California
“Strange, but a must”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I actually visited Voo Doo Doughnut Too, which is their second location. Their employees are pretty eccentric and the store's decor is equally off the beaten path. I was especially troubled with a Kenny Rogers painting with satanic eyes. All of the odd surroundings on top of the provocative doughnut names make for a memorable experience. Not to mention, the doughnuts are delicious.

Tacoma, Washington
“Long lines, stale donuts”
Reviewed 21 April 2011

If you're in Portland and have nothing else to do, then maybe Voodoo is worth your while. Be warned, the donuts are NOT as good as they've been hyped up to be. They may have been better had they been fresh, but they tasted like they were made at least 24 hours in advance.

While waiting in line you get to see a good sampling of the cast of characters who roam the streets of Portland. Once inside Voodoo you'll notice all the kitschy, cool decor and have the chance to take some souvenir photos.

But if you're making the trip out for the donuts, save yourself the trip and money and go to your local grocery store.

• Visited October 2010
Milwaukie, Oregon
“Great everything”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

All I can say is BACON MAPLE BAR, here I come again!!! Just make sure you have some time set aside, as sometimes the line to get in goes a block or so down the street!!! http://voodoodoughnut.com/menu.php

• Visited May 2010
Montreal, Canada
“A must see in Portland!!”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I was highly recommended from many friends to go to Voodoo Doghnut when i visited Portland, and I was not disappointed. It is open super late with amazing donut flavors, as well as some quirky fun tastes. It is all a great value, and is a MUST when experiencing this great city!

• Visited October 2010