“Tourist trap - expensive and worthless.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 80 Bakeries in Portland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Chicago, Illinois
“Tourist trap - expensive and worthless.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Why would you go here ? Its just for tourists who dont know any better. Tasteless, over sugary crappy doughnuts which are way overpriced. Do yourself a favor and ignore every second person you see carrying a big pink box.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank TravelBeforeKids

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Karachi, Pakistan
“I don't know what the fuss was all about , they were not all that good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Every time I looked out my window and there was a long line outside Voodoo Donuts ( the best time is the middle of the night when there is no line ) , I finally gave to temptation and went to stand in line at around 10 pm , my turn quickly came and in 15 minutes I was back in my hotel with my Pink box of Voodoo Donuts. I got Triple Chocolate and Oreo , had all of them but didn't find anything great about them. Yeah the layout of donut shop is a bit goth , it's like a cult classic without any real value to it

Visited June 2014
1 Thank schawlaf
“Yes, They're That Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

The donuts are fantastic! It's a tiny shop so be prepared to wait in line for awhile but it's worth the wait! The doughnuts taste like magic! The best bang for you buck is to get the Voodoo Dozen. They pick the 12 donuts for you but it is a better deal because it will get pricey selecting individually.

Redmond, United States
“Even on a Saturday - go early”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We accidentally found VooDoo donuts even though it was on our list of things to do. We were there just after 10am on a Saturday (June) and were about the 6th set of people in line. But after poking around Portland for a couple of hours we went back past the bakery and discovered lines waaay down the street!

The donuts were not especially better than anywhere else, but the fun vibe is there, and the donut choices are lots of fun. Just like what we've seen on TV! The day before, our son and his bride-to-be had some photos taken in suit and wedding gown there!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
“If you're into doughnuts, this is the place for you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

It's open 24/7 and was made famous by being on pretty much every Travel Channel show documenting Portland and featured in several others because of their unique doughnuts and unmistakable pink boxes (No joke, I was accosted by 9 different people when I brought a box back to D.C. asking if they could have one or in the case of one business traveler telling me "You brought that from Portland? That is awesome). The line will be long - be prepared to wait.

I suffered that cognitive dissonance that traveler's often face. I wanted to visit Voodoo because it was so well known and a "Portland" thing to do. On the other hand, living in D.C., I hate seeing the long line outside of Georgetown Cupcake and the stupidity of waiting in line for an hour for - a cupcake. So, we were being those people. Fortunately for us, we stopped in at a down hour (4 PM on Sunday) so the line was only about 15 minutes long (it can be an hour during peak times). The doughnut list is so extensive, we just got a dozen of the "Employees Choice" where they just pick good ones for you. Tip: While I still recommend the Employees Choice if you can't make up your mind, be sure to get one of the Voodoo doll doughnuts. It's a doughnut shaped like a little man with a pretzel "pin" stabbing it. Our cashier didn't put one of those in our box and I was sad. Also, the place is cash only.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to Voodoo Doughnut? Share your experiences!