“Good variety but long wait for a donut”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Voodoo Doughnut

Voodoo Doughnut
Ranked #2 of 80 Bakeries in Portland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Vermont
“Good variety but long wait for a donut”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The donuts are ok, but not worth the wait if there is a line. The kids had fun choosing the cereal donuts. East coast bakery donuts are better!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Jose, CA
“If you are on a tight schedule, there are better things to do with your time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I'm not sure why Vodoo Doughnuts has the reputation it does. It might have started because it was the first place in Portland to take doughnuts "outside the box" of the normal doughnut choices you find in most places. Or, it might be because it is a place to hang out after the bars are closed and you need to sober up a bit before heading home. In any case, this place now has a reputation that tourists flock to. Honestly, most of the people I spoke to in line were there because someone or something they saw on the internet told them it was an attraction. We were among those people.

We stood in line for close to 30 minutes, with the one local telling us it wasn't a "bad line" and that it would go fast. It seemed to go faster than it did, because I kept myself entertained by talking to people in line, I wanted to understand what we were all doing there, and watching some people with boxes of doughnuts being harassed to share with people passing by (some gave in).

There are some outrageous combinations of flavors and the names of some of the doughnuts might make my grandmother blush, but all in all, the doughnuts are good, just not at all worth the wait.

I'm told there are other places "on the doughnut scene" that are equally inventive and tasty. I had used up all of the time I was willing to allot to doughnuts, but if you are near any of these, you might want to check them out instead: Blue Star Donuts, Lucky's Doughnuts, and Cartem's Donuterie.

• Visited July 2014
Prince George, Virginia
“Funky, fun, and yummy doughnuts! Have your list written so you can order faster! The cashier will love you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

So the few things I knew about Portland before we visited were that it is the setting for the TV shows Portlandia and Grimm, and that they are the home of Voodoo Doughnuts and Rogue Beer! Yes, I am oriented towards the TV, food and beer. So I insisted that my husband and I go to Voodoo to see what it was all about.

Love the names of the doughnuts! Some are raunchy so I won't list them here. Some include the Memphis Mafia (Fried dough with banana chunks and cinnamon covered in a glaze with chocolate frosting, peanut butter, peanuts and chocolate chips on top!) and Old Dirty B***** doughnut (Raised yeast doughnut with chocolate frosting, Oreo's™ and peanut butter!) (got descriptions from their web site).

Yes, there was a long line, but there was an entertaining group of people both in line and out of line. I was surprised to see some reviews saying the doughnuts were not good. I thought the doughnuts were really tasty! I especially liked the Memphis Mafia which is HUGE!

I wrote down our order while standing in that long line. Then I gave my order (in Notes on my cell phone) to the cashier. He was super happy as I guess there are a lot of people hemming and hawing about which doughnuts they want. Make a list, and make a new friend in the cashier!

Anyway, in my opinion, it was worth the stop!

• Visited June 2014
“Great people watching!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

You might come for donuts, but the people watching is awesome. We waited in line for about an hour, and the donuts were worth it. So many to choose from! Plan ahead and make your selections before you get to the register. We loved the maple bacon. The staff very friendly. It's something worth trying wether you're a local or a tourist.

• Visited June 2014
LaPorte Indiana
“Portland Classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We lived in Portland and had the donuts but never actually went to the shop. This time, while visiting, we decided to do the tourist thing and stand in line, take pictures of the sign and enjoy all the Portland funkiness that's made Voodoo a must see. The line is long but moves along nicely because it's well organized and there's lots to look at. The staff is patient but with the necessary edge. And yes, the doughnuts are worth it.

• Visited April 2014