“Many home cooking dishes to choose from”

Koji Osakaya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #874 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
New York
“Many home cooking dishes to choose from”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We enjoyed Koji last year, so this was the place my son chose to go after spending 2 weeks in the Colorado wilderness. I thought Koji was izakaya but Koji is more like a teishokuya in Japan with many Japanese informal meals (home cooking) that we eat everyday. I had Chirashi last summer, and I was debating between chirashi and katsu curry. So many choices, only one stomach! We both ended up ordering katsu curry. It was very hot as we ordered karakuchi instead of mild. We are used to hot Japanese curry but it was hot!! I would not choose the hot one next time! We will be back!

• Visited August 2014

• Korean first
Hong kong
“Nothing too spectacular”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our share of Japanese restaurants in the west coast and their abundance have groomed our taste buds to a certain expectation. We walked into the restaurant under the wind and rain as we had decided to park our car in the DT area. We were totally exhausted after a day of major shopping, a part of our 4-days long mini vacation to Portland Oregon.

The restaurant was typical of most Japanese restaurant where a sushi bar and a few tables are placed. Also in view is a board with daily specials and drinks. I had ordered ramen with chasui and my two daughters ordered sushi, a double trouble which was salmon and chopped scallop, a prawn and shrimp tempura, and an avocado roll. They were all alright but nothing too amazing. The service was friendly though and is located right in the DT area. We finished dinner in a relatively short time as it was late. I think they close at 9pm. In all, if you crave for Japanese and happen to be in the area, it is tryable.

• Visited May 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Great Bento Lunch”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Love the Bento lunch combos! I have had many of the combos, and my favorite is the tempura and tonkatsu. I also like the angry dragon roll, and the ramen specials. Everything I have eaten here, and i've had most of the menu, has been good. I don't eat raw fish, but all of the cooked stuff is really good.

• Visited March 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Average sushi”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I had the deluxe sushi lunch. The sushi was passable but lacking in taste. My wife had the lunch special with teriyaki salmon and pork katsu. The salmon was good, but the pork katsu was tasteless and had substandard texture. The rice that was served with her meal was also tasteless.

The service was friendly and enthusiastic.

• Visited January 2014
New York
“Surprisingly GOOD!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Izakaya seems to be very popular in the Northwest, while ramen restaurants are the popular items in New York. I saw this restaurant last summer, and did not try it then. This summer, being close to the hotel and being so tired, we tried this one. And glad we did!! They have many Japanese casual dishes like tendon and ramen in addition to the sushi items. I usually go for those home-cooking items such as ramen and donbiri, but this time, I got chirashi, as I had the Indian lunch at the food pod.
It was very good!! My son's tempura don looked very good too. Yakitori too.
This is a very small restaurant and does not have much ambiance. But the food, service, and price were all good. My new favorite in Portland!

• Visited August 2013