“Popular place, good food”
Review of Shandong

Shandong
Ranked #535 of 4,268 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Portland, Oregon, USA
“Popular place, good food”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Whoever designed Shandong's sign did a good job. It's a fairly minimalist design but intriguing (just the name Shandong, with a Chinese character below it, and below that in smaller font size "Cuisine of Northern China") and after driving by it several times I had to try the restaurant.

The place is popular and often crowded but they have a sort of back room which turns out to be a cleverly designed outdoor area pretty well converted to semi-indoor dining, with fabric walls and plenty of additional tables.

But I still can't decide how well I like this place. I've been here three times, found it merely okay the first time, tremendously good the second time (it may've helped that I was with a large group that could order a lot of different dishes), and merely okay again the third time.

Sauteed green beans are a dish that I frequently order because practically every Chinese restaurant serves them, but some do a better job than others. Shandong does a merely okay job with them -- but on that second visit there were some dishes that we liked tremendously.

So it's a place worth trying out, but I can't give it an unqualified recommendation.

• Visited August 2013

Portland, Oregon
“A great wall above the rest”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

In some sense of the matter I dont want to write a review because I don't want everybody to find out that this is the most excellent place for Chinese food in the Portland metro area. Here is all I can tell you. We love it, and anytime friends or family visit from out of town Shandong is one of the first places they want to go back to. The vegetable fried rice is to-die for!!!

Visited December 2013
Portland, OR
“The best Noodles ever!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We love Shandong and absolutely love the Noodles! The Tan Tan Noodles are amazing and feed plenty. I always bring leftovers to go and have at least two lunches. For an appetizer, we always grab the Pan Pacific Won-Tons. Fantastic! We probably visit at least 2 times a month and it could be more.

The only complaint I have ever had was with the 'Manager' or woman who does the scheduling. Often, we will get take out and eat an app and a drink at the bar while waiting. Multiple times we have found her with paperwork and Starbuck's coffee sprawled over the bar and it seems to be putting her "out" when we need room. We have also heard her chastising employees in the presence of customers. Save ALL of this for the back room...I don't want to know what is going on behind the scenes, nor do I want to fight a staff member over a seat at the bar.

All of the other staff have been more than accommodating and we always enjoy our servers when we dine in! We highly recommend this place!

• Visited September 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Authentic!”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We are lucky to have Shandong in our neighborhood! The food here is the most authentic Chinese food I have had in the U.S. I've been to China 35 times and spend 5 weeks a year enjoying true Chinese cuisine. This is as close as it gets!

This is not your "quasi-Chinese" food that you normally get in the states!

The menu is varied and everything is delicious!

What a treat!

• Visited July 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Fast and tasty”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband, his brother, and I were in the Portland area looking for a good restaurant for dinner on a Saturday evening. Our first choice had an hour wait, so we decided to opt for Shandong. No wait, restaurant about half full, so we were concerned. I ordered the Shandong Beef (flank steak coated in a thick brown sauce on a bed of cabbage), husband had the dry fried chicken (their version of sweet n sour chicken), and brother in law got gwai wer noodles (housemade ramen looking noodles w/ a bbq tomato sauce, meat, and veggies). All of us enjoyed our food. It came out fast and was tasty- good flavors and good portions, enough for breakfast the next day but not overwhelming. The house tea (jasmine green) was delicious as well, perfect temperature. Ambiance felt clean and comfortable, and prices were reasonable (post tip total for 3 dinners was ~$40). Oh, and my water glass was never empty, big plus for that.

• Visited July 2013