“Outstanding event!”
Review of clarklewis

clarklewis
Reserve with OpenTable
clarklewis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #214 of 4,594 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$20 - US$80
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Taylor
Description: Clarklewis creates delicious, hand-crafted Northwest cuisine with Italian and French influences, and proudly support local, organic farms. With exquisite farm-to-table ingredients, Clarklewis is a sophisticated gem on the creative frontier of Portland's unpolished Inner Eastside in the industrial district. The chefs offer an ever changing seasonal menu that features fresh from the market produce. Chef Alex Diestra's hearty dishes from the wood-fired rotisserie find their perfect complement in the fresh, unmanipulated flavors of the best in local produce.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We actually went there for a wedding (ceremony and reception). We travelled from Boston for the wedding. The level of service was perfect with some very nice touches, such as servers with passed appetizers realizing my wife and I are vegetarian and coming to us when they had options for us, wait staff circulating to take drink orders during cocktail hour and all staff being ready with recommendations. Everything that was served during dinner was excellent - as far as wedding food goes, it was among the best I've had. The specialty cocktail menu was a very nice designer element and the drinks themselves were great. Perhaps most importantly, we had our infant daughter with us for the cocktail hour and dinner, and the staff went out of their way to make sure she had everything she needed (and to comment on how cute she is!). It was a great experience!

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

We're glad we could help out on such a big day! I know weddings can be stressful, especially with a little one in tow, so I'm proud to hear that my team did a good job taking care of everyone. I'll definitely pass on the kind words at our next meeting, and I hope you and your family made it home safe and sound!

All the best,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Been here every visit - the offerings are seasonal and prepared to perfection. Hidden away in the warehouse district on the other side of the river near the SE section of town, it's not a place known to outsiders and tourists - but for those in the know it does require a reservation Friday and Saturday nights and is hopping - one feels they are in NYC or San Francisco with respect to the cuisine, service, wine list and vibrance. The difference especially on a summer night is that the windows are wide and it radiates rustic sophistication. One of our favorite go to spots without question.

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

I'm thrilled to hear we can help you find some NYC sophistication on these summer nights! Be careful -- now that you've reviewed us, our well-kept secret won't be so secret anymore. Really though, we very deeply appreciate you taking the time to write this, and we can't wait to see you again soon.

Warmly,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was our fourth visit to Clarklewis and every time we've had the tasting menu. They call it a four course meal, but in reality they bring out multiple dishes for each course. I usually don't get too excited about salads. This time we had two salads and cherry tomato dish for our first course. Each one was unique and the arugula salad with pistachios was wonderful. They brought three pasta dishes. The spaghetti with lamb ragu was particularly good. It seems to always be on the menu, even though everything else changes regularly. Both of the entrees were good. one dessert, a dense chocolate cake with ice cream was special, but assortment of cookies was rather mundane.

Service was great, not rushing us between courses. Fresh plates and tableware were brought for each course. They also were able to accommodate the request for no shellfish without a fuss.
The only warning I would give, is that they do not have air conditioning. We watch the weather forecast closely before making a reservation.

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

The Lamb Ragu is definitely a chef favorite, so I'm glad you enjoy it every time! Thank you for taking the time to recommend out tasting menu to others, because we definitely take a lot of pride in designing it. Your fellow Yelpers will appreciate the advice about the A/C -- especially during these hot summer months. We can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This restaurant wasn't on any of my lists. My nephew suggested it and I'm glad he did. Located in a redesigned warehouse in an a industrial part of town, Clark and Lewis has "semi-outdoor" dining, so you can sit by an garage-door like opening and enjoy Portland's nice summer weather. A farm to table place, it features wild salmon, organic meats and delicious side dishes. Nice wine list as well. Recommended.

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Please thank your nephew for putting us on your radar! I'm so happy you decided to take his advice. It was our pleasure to give you a wonderful experience, and I hope we'll have the opportunity to serve you again.

Thanks,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Both fish dishes were perfectly done, and the salads were well designed and executed. Maybe a bit hard to find, but worth it.

BluehourPortland, Owner at clarklewis, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dave, thanks for sharing this! It's great to hear that you enjoyed everything.