“Father's Day golf”

Wildwood Golf Course
Ranked #56 of 104 Outdoor Activities in Portland
Reviewed 28 June 2016

One of my husband's favorite golf courses in Oregon. He went here with two other guys and played the front nine on Father's Day. Their tee time was at 10:30am, and the pace of play was too slow. The greens are nice. Beautiful course with views of Mt. St Helens and Mt. Adams. It's located on the outskirts of Portland near the town of Scappoose.

Date of experience: June 2016
Callum John B, Manager at Wildwood Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2017

Thanks for the feedback. Father's Day is our busiest of the entire year so apologies that you found the golf to be too slow - we try really hard to keep the balance right - you can see from other posters that some golfers dislike being told to pick up the pace too! Interestingly, Mothers day is our quietest of the year, quieter than thanksgiving or Xmas! Hope we can tempt you out again.

Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

I don't know why anyone would not
Like this golf course. It has a new clubhouse/pro shop with great patio with view. Limited food service is available, hot dogs burger and pizza, until the new kitchen is installed.
The golf course is on a mountain side with steep fairways and high greens. It is challenging but beautiful.
If your ball goes into the woods or high grass out of bounds ,!you can kiss it goodbye.
The sneaky creek water hazard is another ball grabber.
While some people in good shape walk it, I highly recommend a golf cart.
The back 9 is a better course .

Date of experience: June 2016

Thanks DewPortland! Our remodeling is nearly complete so hopefully we can tempt you out and try to earn your five stars!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

The "pro" shop here is staffed by a real jerk. He made my wife feel foolish for bringing her clubs in the shop. She doesnt know what she is doing, trying to learn the game. He thought he was being funny. I tried to joke back but he made some comment that it takes all kinds. Really? Totally unprofessional. Also the guy tried to keep my credit card with him to rent my clubs. He already had my driver license. I told him that's illegal any more but he tried to tell me it's the law. lol

The course itself is a joke. They have planted trees to try to "bend" the holes and provide interested to what is basically a swamp between two clearcut slopes but it's just silly.
The fairways are weedy and the balls dont roll on the greens they hop over all the little bumps.

I see no reason to play this course when you Heron lakes 15 minutes away or any other course.

Date of experience: August 2013

Thanks for the feedback ColonelPanic, and can I apologize for the way you describe you were treated. I notice it's been a couple of years since your post but if there is one thing we try for here is to make everyone feel welcome, especially newer golfers who we really want to take up the sport.

We've made big changes here to the club, course, and staff over the past couple of years and I'd like to invite you to a private conversation to see how we can make things up to you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

All the best and thanks again for the feedback,

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I must admit that I was frustrated with my start at Wildwood. Being a Florida golfer it took quite a while together used to the dramatic changes in elevation and small greens which did not hold shots. Some of the holes on the front nine seemed tricked up. For example, the fifth hole, a par three, has trouble all around it and a green which runs away drastically to the back. Once I got on the back nine, the course architecture improved and so did my game.T he views are spectacular of Mt. Hood and green pine forests are everywhere. I thoroughly enjoyed myself on this nine and the price is right- twenty seven to walk for me as a senior with a hand cart for the clubs. Worth the short trip out of Portland.

Date of experience: July 2013
callum b, Manager at Wildwood Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

Thanks David, obviously a golfer with an objective eye for the technical side.

We've made greens a key focus for the grounds crew over the past couple years since your post, working the right combination of aeration and rolling to maximize playability through holding balls while retaining surface tension to allow a stimp meter score of 9.75 as a seasonal average. Last year the feedback was really encouraging.

We've also enlarged several greens, 11 over this winter, and will be remodeling 1 from scratch at the end of this season.

Our philosophy as a business is to try and take something that is causing an issue and make it a real strength. We're constantly pushing to improve. As a family business we all have a stake in the long term legacy of the course and take pride in what we have created - the architecture you describe was planned, dug, irrigated, and landscaped by Bill by himself back in the early 1990s - were putting together a photo montage that is pretty astonishing.

Anyway we hope we can see you on the course this year too, and I hope we can give our best to earn your five stars.