“Very moving”

Ranked #98 of 448 things to do in Portland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very moving”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Very moving tribute to our OR heros that died in Vietnam. I really enjoyed the layout of the memorial as it is a beautiful spiral path that passes several granite slabs engraved with the names and information both about OR and VN at the time. It felt like the memorial was trying to make a positive connection between the soldier and society. Best memorial I have seen!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Krodotter

Snohomish County, Washington
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“a moving tribute”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This memorial is very interactive. You walk up a spiraling path. There are granite stones with the names of those killed in Vietnam from Oregon for each year of the conflict. What makes it more touching is the other information included on the stones. They give a few details of life in Oregon that year and contrast it with what was happening in the war.

Visited October 2012
Lynnwood, Washington
181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 342 helpful votes
“Nice Memorial”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Next to the Forestry Center in Washington Park is a very nice memorial remembering our veterans from Oregon. Even though I ended up doing the walk backwards, it was interesting and serene to view all the names. Above the names in each area, along with the year, it also tells some historic facts about different Oregon cities. Either way you walk it, it makes for a nice stroll across the bridge and up or down the spiral path. Taking a few minutes to remember our Veterans is always a good thing.

Visited May 2012
Denver, Colorado
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Stark reminder, well laid out”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stumbled on this memorial by virtue of my poor sense of direction - though there in Washington Park with many other worthwhile attractions, it is off by itself a bit.

Whether I was in the space to accept the message or whether this memorial was more effective at delivering it, I thought that it personalized the loss of so much life, made me feel it more than other memorials I have seen.

The black marble walls of names go in chronological order as you spiral up the path, accompanied by both synopses of the war and events taking place around Oregon at the time. It felt like it showed me what was going on there, what was going on here, and then the names of the fallen are the overlap between the two. I don't know anyone on those black marble walls, but I found myself hoping that those who do visit them there - it felt more like individuals than a mass of names. Poignant.

This memorial only takes about 15 minutes to see, and probably well-worth doing in case it strikes you as it did me, makes you consider war and its heroes a little differently.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank TMFHitman
Portland, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the pensive walk on a fall day.”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

There are a row of attractions up by the Zoo in Portland. The Children's Museum, the Zoo, a nature discovery center, but the Living Memorial is the only free one, so we started there ;). There is free parking, and a few different paths leading up to the bridge, leading to a spiraling path lined with names, phrases and different varieties of trees.
Drive included (we took the long way, up from the Rose Test Garden = gorgeous), we had 1.5-2 hours to spend out and about. This was time well spent.

Visited November 2011