“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very convenient location and attractive property. Rates were high but not outrageous compared to competing properties. Based on price and fact that I booked for 4 nights, I expected a good room. Instead, I ended up in an interior room facing an air shaft. Sometimes that is nice as it is quiet, but in this case it was pretty claustrophobic. The worst problem was 2 A/C vents that blew very forcefully on the bed, and could not be closed or redirected. Made for a restless night of sleep. Next morning I complained at desk, thinking maintenance could provide some covers or air diverters (easily found in just about every hardware store I've ever been in). When I returned that night, I had a message that maintenance said nothing could be done, and their only suggestion was to turn the system off. I guess I should be more generous, as they kindly offered to send someone up to instruct me on how to turn the system off...treating the guest as an imbecile is a nice touch when you decide to ignore the issue. Its a shame, as the hotel otherwise seemed nice. They had a vibrant bar off the lobby that I would typically patronize a lot, but on this trip I had a lot of outside obligations and did not get much of a chance to go in. I finally went in about 9:30 on a Monday night, when things were slower. The staff seemed to provide a very authentic Portland hipster vibe, as they acted like they were horrified that someone as old and uncool as me would dare invade their space, and despite a limited number of customers, they made sure I had to wait an extended period before finally breaking down and agreeing to serve me. Pretty sure if I had gone in on a busier night, I would have been completely ignored. Bottom line, it appears they have pumped a lot of money into this renovation/re-branding, and they have a good facility to work with, but think they have quite a few bugs to work through, and I would only recommend giving them a try if you feel you are getting a good buy.

Room Tip: Beware of the interior rooms that face air shaft.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cvlcharlotte
chris b, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. Our goal is toward constant improvement and your thoughtful commentary will help us to get better. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced. By virtue of the many positive Trip Advisor reviews, many of which comment specifically on the genuine care provided by our staff, I truly believe that your experience was not reflective of the way we generally operate. Again, my sincere apologies.

We would love to have you return so that we can show you we do indeed know how to care for our guests. Please consider us again the next time you come to visit Portland.

Respectfully,

Chris Bebo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

we have been living there for the last month, one more to go while our house is being restored, broken pipes. cannot say enough about the quality of the staff, very attentive and certainly going out of there way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. great service top to bottom.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank homer w
chris b, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to recognize the collective efforts of our team. It continues to be our pleasure having you with us as our guest. Our team works hard and it is very rewarding to be recognized. I will be sure to pass your kind words along.

Respectfully,

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stumbled upon the Sentinel after a day of travel and needing to rest our weary heads. We worked with a desk attendant named Dave, who was beyond belief friendly, super helpful, and had us in stitches, he deserves five stars on his own! We knew we'd found a great spot. The hotel was beautiful: a nice blend of modern understatement with beautiful touches of antiquity...just check out the ceiling when you walk into the lobby. They have a great steakhouse attached, a wonderful hotel bar, and they also tout one of the only late-night Starbucks in the area (also linked to the lobby) that sells beer and wine! There is 24-hour access to a gym with so many features, and seriously, the benefits go on and on...we lucked out with this spot! Great access to the PDX waterfront, so much local scenery and shopping around...if you're looking for a great stay and a great home base to do some exploration in Portland, I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winningdaysun
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Wonderful review, thank you very much. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Kudos to our staff for doing such a wonderful job of earning your business. We really appreciate the opportunity to serve you and hope that you will consider us again the next time you are visiting Portland.

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had a short but very sweet stay here. I love the decor in this wonderful, historical building. The beds and linens were super comfy, and it was convenient to have Jake's Grill and a Starbucks in the building, but what impressed me most was the staff. They were extremely friendly, professional, and efficient. What a nice addition to Portland's already great hotel options. I'll definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mckenzie99
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that both Jake's Grill and Starbucks were on your short list of places to visit. More than this, I am pleased to know that our staff did such a great job of taking care of you.

Please consider another trip to Sentinel should you find yourself back in Portland. We would love to have you with us again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

On entering this gorgeous old hotel you can tell right away you are in for a treat. The ceiling is tin and the carved borders are reminders of a day gone by. Upon arriving late one Friday evening we were greeted by a friendly laid back staff.
The elevator was a bit old and small but once on our floor (5th) the hallways opened up to both old and new elements that made us excited to get to our room. Lime green doors lined the hall matched with oversized black and white photographs of stars of the past.
Our room was dark and very comfortable, no view out the window other than an inner brickwall but the room was well done. The bathroom was large and the bed was amazingly comfortable.
I tend to be over critical of hotel rooms and ask to see more than one room. For some reason or another I was satisfied and also traveling with a friend that doesn't know this habit about me.
I would of loved a view but I did just book the room two days before.
The new restaurant in the lobby was open late and a lively great place to end the night after we walked around for over three hours.
I love the location of this hotel and the staff from beginning to end couldn't be beat. Also having a Starbucks in the lobby was ever so handy.
There was an event going on in the ballroom in the middle of the hotel. If you have a chance to see this magnificent piece of architecture DO IT! They don't build them like this anymore!

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple choices, you never know what gems could be lurking in an old building like this...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beentheredonethat47
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
So glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. Very happy to hear that you were able to look at the Governor Ballroom. Agreed, there is no other venue like it in Portland. A true gem worthy of visiting in its own right.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your thoughtful feedback. Always appreciated.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Staying at the Sentinel definitely contributed to the success of our Portland getaway. Our room was extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated, and the hotel itself was gorgeous. The hotel location is a-ma-zing, and basically within walking distance of all we wanted to see and do (including a wonderful food truck pod)!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fabienne M
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how we are doing. We are so pleased that we were able to contribute to the success of your Portland getaway experience. We would love to see you again. Please let us know the next time you are visiting. It would be our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Wonderful old buildings all funked up, swanky style, into unique and very comfortable rooms. Loved the eclectic mix of furniture, materials, lighting and nic-nac's. We were lucky enough to have a lovely large room complete with a terrace, teak table and chairs and a great city view.
The room was clean, linens high end and bed comfortable.
Location was fantastic - we were able to walk to just about everything and if you needed it, the cable car dropped us off right in front of the building.
Staff were totally helpful and enthusiastic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MSMHBC
HotelGM529, General Manager at Sentinel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
So glad to know that you enjoyed your Sentinel experience. The City Terrace room you stayed in is really unique to Portland. Nice to get the great feedback and thank you very much for sharing.

Thanks for both your business as well as the time taken to provide us with such a positive review.