“Nice, clean, but WIFI is horrendous.”

Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Ranked #70 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Issaquah, Washington
“Nice, clean, but WIFI is horrendous.”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stay here for business very frequently. Its either here or across the parking lot at the Fairfield inn. both properties are new. I like the residence inn very much because of the following.

1) the rooms are quite large.
2) every room has a kitchenette.
3) free breakfast. Eggs, sausage, toast, waffles. (but it can get busy so take it back to your room)
4) they have evening social M-Th. Free food and drinks. I often use this as my dinner.

But......

The wifi here is simply the worst I have ever had at a hotel. It's a must have for me as I run an online business. I can never get a good signal, regardless of what room I am in. So I am forced to use their wired connection, but even this is terribly slow. So much so that I walk over to Fairfield and use the net in their lobby.

Sadly, I can't stay here anymore because of this issue. So now I stay at the Fairfield.

Also, this hotel complex is located next to the interstate. Impossible to go anywhere during rush hour. Nothing is nearby except pizza and subway sandwiches and a gas station.

Room Tip: Don't come here if you need wifi. Better have a mobile hotspot if you need access to the web.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank worldtravelers_ja
HilaryBarraza, General Manager at Residence Inn Portland North Harbour, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Hello Trendchaser,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, and others on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear about your experience with our internet service during your stay in August, and I am excited to share with you that as of December 15, 2011, we had our service upgraded, and now have over 5 times the speed that you experienced during your stay with us in August. We are thrilled to be providing our guests with 15MBPS, considerably more than most hotels provide!

I hope that you will come back and experience it for yourself!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2012

All rooms have full kitchen with pots and pans, cutlery, plates, cups, dishwasher, full fridge, stove, microwave and sink with garborator. This is a bonus for travelers who like to make their own food and save money. Room had chair, coffee table and pullout couch in front of the TV. King size bed with sink and closet next to a separate bathroom. Stayed from Saturday to Monday, room was quiet and we slept well. The floors bounced when you walked across the room which shook the TV on the dresser. Good location within 10 mins of downtown Portland and the airport. Breakfast is included and is nothing special.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 31 December 2011

For the price it is a great deal if you need a little extra room. We booked the 2bd 2bth unit and we enjoyed having the extra bathroom. The hotel could use a face lift and I am picky when it comes to cleanliness (could have been cleaner). We used the shuttle to the airport which was a nice but it is about a 15 min ride.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This hotel offers an airport shuttle and is within walking distance to the Expo center. Lots of options for breakfast in the morning. I stayed over a weekend and did not have a chance to try their meals at night. Full kitchen and very comfortable rooms. Very friendly staff and a great shuttle driver.

• Stayed December 2011
London
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I want to preface this review by saying that holidays and opinions of hotels are very personal, what I like about a hotel may not appeal to someone else. My reviews try to be objective.

I needed to stay in Portland for 3 nights, the location wasn't important as I had a car (which is needed for this hotel).

The hotel itself is set among other Marriott properties on North Anchor Way, quite difficult to find if you don't have GPS.

Although we arrived late, check-in was quick and courteous. I had a 1 bedroom suite on the 2nd floor. The suites have a separate living area with sofa-bed, TV and kitchenette with dish washer, coffee maker, 2 ring hob and fridge freezer. Coffee is supplied which is replenished each day but no fresh milk. There is a Target and Safeway nearby for supplies or the hotel can get them delivered if you need. Also in the room is an iron and ironing board, hairdryer and shampoo, conditioner and soap. In the bedroom is a double bed, wardrobe and TV. They only seem to change the sheets once per stay if you are short term, but not a problem.

Breakfast is served 0630 to 0930 each weekday and also at weekends. Hot food and cereals, yoghurt, waffles etc are available. However you need to eat off paper plates and use plastic utensils, same for dinner also (didn't eat dinner here but saw other people doing so).

There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, a Pizza one is the closest, others are about 20 mins walk on Jentzen island.

So, what lets it down?

Firstly, the internet. I needed the internet for working and it was very unreliable, constantly dropping signal.

Secondly, the noise. As other people have mentioned, this is quite a noisy hotel. You can hear people walking and talking above and below you and noise from toilets being lfushed etc.

Thirdly, although they supply soap etc, there is no shower gel supplied. Personal preference but there you go.

Finally, there was a used roast chicken box left on the balcony for the duration I was there. Maybe I should have said something to reception to get housekeeping to move it, but I just wanted to see if they would, even if the curtains were left open for them to see it. It wasn't.

So, because of these things, I give this property a score of 3. The beds are comfortable and the rooms clean and comfortable, the staff are friendly and the breakfast is reasonably good.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Gertcha_Cowson
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel while water damage in our home was remediated. The one-bedroom suite was clean and comfortable, and the kitchen was well-equiped. (The dishwasher, however, is NOISY!) Sadly, the "fireplace" in the corner was purely decorative, lacking any controls. Lighting was good, which is a plus for any hotel nowadays. Breakfast was a bit better than the usual business hotel offerings, but evening snacks were heavy on salt and fat. Being a Portland resident, I was surprised that the hotel didn't offer recycling services. Free newspapers and free drinks in aluminum cans were readily available, but no recycling stations. And this in a city that now has residential food waste recycling! That being said, we won't hesitate to return when the repairs begin; we can always bring our recyclables home with us!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Easy drive into Portland. We had a two bedroom suite. One of the bedrooms was quiet but the other was full of highway noise. Breakfast was very nice. Evening snacks not so great. Front desk staff very helpful.

• Stayed September 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Portlander Inn
Portlander Inn
#84 of 140 in Portland
Red Lion Hotel on the River
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland

Been to Residence Inn Portland North Harbour? Share your experiences!