“Homey haven”

Bluebird Guesthouse
Billings, MT
“Homey haven”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We've stayed here numerous times, usually upstairs, since the Gabriel Marquez room is under the stairs and sleep is nearly impossible there. The Beverly Cleary, upstairs in the front, has it's own bath, a very comfy queen bed, and is quieter than you'd think, right on Division St. The price is right if you want to be in SE Portland, near the good food and funky shops, but not too far from downtown. Good coffee and breakfast pastries are included, plus a paper on the doorstep and a common area to read it in and lounge around. We go there once a year or so.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Could it be from being over caffeinated? On the plus side, this guesthouse is well located and my field trip today is a walk to the original stumptown coffee. Unfortunately for me, my room is sandwiched between a sitting area and the kitchen (Marquez room). I could hear every word of conversations and early birds getting breakfast woke me up before my normal waking at 7AM. Too bad because the mattress was very comfortable. The guesthouse seems very clean however there is an odor that greets you when you come in (mildew/mold)?
The kitchen is well stocked with fruit, cereals, coffee, tea, baked goods and more. I am fine with fixing my own too. A computer is available to use.
Definitely a mixed experience. I might return and stay in an upstairs room.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank milissa g
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

This is such a well kept b&b. The owner is super friendly and there is breakfast laid out every morning. We stayed in a room with a bathroom in it, which was nice. It was a quite stay in se Portland. Some great places are in walking distance to eat drink or snack upon. I felt very safe and relaxed staying at location. Wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Nvisante
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Centrally located near all the tempting food alternatives of Division street, this guesthouse has the feel of a family home. We stayed in one of the two basement rooms, which had a window without a view. The downside of being in the basement is of course that everybody walks on the floor above you, which was not helped by the wooden floor. If you suffer from light sleep like I do bring earplugs or take one of the rooms on the first floor.

The guesthouse is nicely furnished, there is a spacious area to sit in, including two porches - one on either side of the house.

Breakfast is available in the fridge as you wake up - you are welcome to help yourself to a variety of bread, fruit, oatmeal, muffins and bagels. If you fancy pancakes there is pancake mix available - although you have to cook them yourself.

There are several jams and spreads available to have with your bread.

The bathrooms are located on several floors - there is a toilet near the kitchen, as well as a bathtub/shower on first floor. I have to say that I was not really happy with the water pressure the shower had. I have fairly long hair and it took me quite a while to get rid of all the shampoo in my hair.

There is a computer and phone near the kitchen, which can be used by guests.

All in all, this was a nice place to spend to nights at. However, next time I would definitely choose an upstairs room to avoid all the guests walking on what felt like my head.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Vollmolch
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed for a week in January, when Portland is pretty cold and cloudy, if not rainy, and really enjoyed this beautiful old house. Division street is a great neighborhood, with lot's of interesting places to eat nearby. It is convenient for going into the city or visiting in the suburbs. Great wine shop just down the street. The rooms are comfortable and the place is very well run; manager was accomodating and helpful, but not intrusive. Loved the big kitchen with everything you could want to cook a few meals. Although continental breakfast is provided (including a fresh pot of coffee and fresh fruit), I enjoyed keeping some eggs and cheese in the refrigerator and making an omelet in the mornings. I need decaf and there is a coffee place right next door where I got my decaf latte every morning. I started my mornings with an omelet, latte, toast and the Oregonian to read. Just as good, if not better, than home. Besides the breakfast nook in the kitchen, there is a large dining room, inviting living room and comfy den with a fireplace, so even staying in an economy room in the basement was OK. The place was not that busy while I was there, so the limited bathroom facilities was not a problem; I can see how sharing the bathrooms could be a bit of problem if the place was full. However, they provide a nice bathrobe and the other guests I saw were all very polite so I think it could be worked out. Another nice feature is the availability of a washer and dryer; it was nice not to bring home a lot of dirty clothes.

Room Tip: Nicest rooms are upstairs, but if you are not going to be spending much time in your room, the more...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My sister and I stayed one night in the Ken Kesey room, having called from Eugene on our way north. The innkeeper was most accommodating; he texted us instructions, and we found the property in the dark with no problem, parked in front, went right inside and slept through the night. We had no sound at all from the street, and while the bed is not necessarily luxurious, it was very comfortable. The room was quite cozy, and I was surprised to find robes available for our use. The house was very quiet, and we heard no noise from the bathroom right next to our room. There was never any problem using the common bath facilities. We enjoyed having breakfast in the dining room while planning our day in Portland, and noticed that the kitchen is well-equipped for guests who might desire to cook meals. The common rooms are very welcoming, and the architecture of this beautiful old home has been nicely preserved.
The location is excellent, in a very fun part of the city, and we spent a lot of time walking in the immediate vicinity, enjoying everything we experienced. I look forward to returning to the Bluebird whenever I visit Portland, as the value for the price is exceptional.

Room Tip: Ken Kesey is quiet, inexpensive but comfortable, is roomy enough for two people and their bags, and...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Arriving late at night it was very hard to find (no outside light or sign). Rooms were clean and comfortable but a long way from a bathroom. Breakfast good but entirely D-I-Y. The house itself had character and was welcoming but with no-one around apart from other guests it lacked the warmth of other Oregon B-and-B's.No real complaints but should be cheaper!

Room Tip: Any with en-suite
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family