“Clean place but not luxurious”

Bluebird Guesthouse
Durham NC
“Clean place but not luxurious”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at his guesthouse with a friend. The room and the bath were very clean and the bed comfortable. The steps to our room on the 2nd floor were very steep which would present a problem for some older or disabled people. The breakfast options were limited and there is no where near to buy breakfast. However I mentioned that to the owner and she said she would upgrade breakfast choices which pleased me and showed she was responsive to the people who stayed there.

Room Tip: This place had Wifi but not in the room. It was available downstairs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Laureen F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Run down and dirty, bathrooms and bedding and towels were clean but kitchen counters were sticky greasy, furniture was worn out and dirty and needed to be redone. The sister b&b is a much better place and would recommended it over Bluebird any day.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gary C
San Pedro, Belize
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I guess is was quaint but I was not impressed. Upon arrival a 1/2 hour early there was only a cleaning lady in the kitchen, who when spoken to said Hi - that is it. 45 minutes later we went back to her and said " we were wanting to check in". She then said oh you can go to your room. We never did see anyone else. The place was clean but well worn furniture and had that musty old house smell. The Beverly Cleary room had a private bath but not easy to use as no vanity. The plus was the location, near family we were visiting and the price was reasonable. They had a number of choices for do it yourself breakfast, even some good glutton free muffins.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at the Bluebird Guesthouse for two nights, one night in the Garcia Room and one night in the Beverly Cleary room. I had to change rooms because it was a last-minute booking, but the change was painless - all I had to do was leave my suitcase in the room when I left the first morning and when I got back it was waiting for me in the second room. The Bluebird Guesthouse is not a B&B - you make your own breakfast from a very good selection of foods left in the fully-equipped kitchen (including gluten-free selections). The two rooms I stayed in both had king beds and private baths. Both rooms were spacious and comfortable, if somewhat basic - the Garcia room was quieter because it is the back of the first floor of the house; however, I slept very well in both rooms. The rate for both rooms is very reasonable ($120). Other rooms in the house have shared baths so the rate is even lower. There is a computer for your use should you wish. If you are looking for a clean, comfortable, pleasant place to stay in a very interesting older house in the middle of one of Portland's typical bustling neighbourhoods with loads of restaurants, coffee shops, micro-breweries etc, then the Bluebird is for you.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the house are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank OffTrackCalgary
Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My girlfriend and I visited my sister in Portland for a week, so my folks treated us to the "best room in the house" -- the Beverly Cleary room -- at the Bluebird Guesthouse in Portland's Hawthorne district. Our room was upstairs, directly above the house's front entrance, and it had its own bathroom (which is a MUST, in my opinion!). The staff was very friendly, and kept the house spotless and in good working order. The house has an upstairs and a basement, both with several bedrooms and bathrooms. They have a shared/common area kitchen, fully equipped with all the appliances, pots, pans, silverware, dishes, etc. that you'd need to cook your own food. (You're responsible for washing your own dishes, though.) They also offer complimentary fruit, muffins and bagels (bought fresh daily!). You can store your own groceries in their fridge and shelves, and eat/cook it as needed during your stay. They also have several chairs/couches/tables/lamps throughout the house, if you want to just sit and relax/read/play cards/chit-chat for a bit.

PROS:
Old architecture, friendly staff, peaceful "homey" environment, lots of comfortable furniture, free street parking, free snacks, free WiFi, lots of plants/flowers/trees, and walkable to anywhere in the Hawthorne district. If you get the Beverly Cleary room upstairs, you can open/close your windows and adjust your room's temperature as needed.

CONS:
Because it's an old house, there's a chance you'll hear EVERY squeaky floorboard / door hinge / stair step. If someone decides to roll in at 3:00 AM, you'll likely hear the front door open and close, and you'll hear that person's footsteps across the floors and up/down the stairs. (I visited in the dead of winter, so thankfully there weren't many people coming and going.) Some fool tugged on the dumbwaiter-style pocket door rope near the stairwell in the middle of the night and woke me up out of a dead sleep. If you don't have a room with your own bathroom, then you might be competing with other guests for one. Maybe it's available, maybe it's not -- roll the dice! You can always go upstairs or downstairs to another bathroom, though. Although we had our own bathroom with a pedestal sink and toilet, our shower was SMALL.

Room Tip: Get the Beverly Cleary room upstairs -- it has its own bathroom!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freebiegrabber
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We enjoyed our six-night stay and the charming location. Very comfy linens, mattress, pillows, blankets and bath robes! Enjoyed the make-your-own-breakfast and make-your-own-conversation feature, as I usually loathe the breakfast chat at most b&b's! One tip to the owners would be to include some more info for guests on your website about how to get around the neighborhood on foot/by bus and where to shop locally for groceries, since the breakfast selection is somewhat limited to Carbs - delicious carbs, but still.......... we grabbed protein (second) breakfasts at the nearby Hazel Room on Hawthorne.

Our basement room was adjacent to the laundry room and the beep beep beeping of the machines was not always welcome. The Inn was almost fully occupied during our stay and sometimes there was a wait for a bathroom - but nothing too too terrible. I would have sprung for the pricier room with bath included, but none were available.

Room Tip: Might want to avoid the basement rooms unless you are on a super tight budget and/or no other rooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Salinas
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Me and my best friend just got off a 21 hour Amtrak trip from Salinas to Portland, neither of us had much sleep. Got a cab ride to the house. Beautiful old 1900's home that has the charm and warmth you will not find in any newer home. we rented two separate bedrooms. There were a couple of guys sitting at the dining table on their computers, very friendly people! We walked to a great brewpub down the street and had dinner. We got back in our rooms and now it's 8:30pm and I was just ready to collapse! At 9:00, a bunch of 20 somethings (they sounded really young!) came in to the sitting area and they were LOUD! Laughing, speaking loudly running up the staircase to the other adjacent rooms and back down again. I just thought OMG!! This is gonna suck! I waited in hopes they would quiet down before 9 but nope. Called the owner and he said "It's barely 9pm!" But he said he would come by and talk to them. Finally they left around 10 and I slept really well. But this is a GUESTHOUSE where one expects a bit of peace and quiet! It's not a party house, come on! Will stay there again, loved having access to a real kitchen! But will let them know that hey, after 9pm, people should try and keep the voices and noise down.

Room Tip: Just about any room is great! If you are really sensitive to street noise, stay in one of the rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business