“Decent hotel near amenities”

University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #79 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Victoria, Canada
“Decent hotel near amenities”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Hotel was located very close to a food cart pod, and free transit to the downtown core. Hotel staff were always pleasant. Daily breakfast was included and was good if you needed something quick and had scrambled eggs something that some other chains don't provide.

Room was very large, modern coffee maker in room, along with microwave and frigde in our reservation. Could do with some updating, but otherwise would happily book here again for the price.

This property does not have in room wifi but does provide a lan cable to plug your laptop in to so you can work.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northeast Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2011

PSU made reservations for me to stay here (I'm in town for a job interview) and I was kind of scared after I read the other reviews on TripAdvisor. Fortunately the hotel is much better than I'd feared. It's fine! The bed is super comfortable with nice linens and fluffy pillows. The room is a nice size. The only thing that really needs updating is the shower head. No, it isn't fancy-schmancy super modern, but it's comfortable, and the staff have been very helpful and polite. Also, I found the gift shop to be surprisingly reasonably priced for those emergency items I needed (aspirin, Band-Aids).

I was surprised to find a free hot breakfast (I'm from the South and that just doesn't happen down there... state laws or something) but I do agree that the quality was low. Unless you're a total cheapskate, it's a better idea to go out for breakfast.

Overall, however, I was very satisfied and would stay here again. Location can't be beat and my room was nice and quiet, a huge plus in my book. Too often before a job interview I can't sleep because of some weird noise in my hotel room, but that was definitely not a problem here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank OkahumpkaGal
williamsburg, VA
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The hallway has a damp and musty smell, sort of like entering a basement that hasn't been inhabited for a long while, so that doesn't exactly set a good tone for this place. It is outdated and cries out for renovation. On the other hand, the staff is very nice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank chrisman48
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We were sent to this place until our room at the Ronald Macdonald house. my daughter is ready to deliver and her baby will need an operation as soon as he is born. The heart specialist said to go there to wait. When we arrived the quilt on my bed had blood on it and not a little. The blanket underneath had white stuff on it and it was not milk!! They never cleaned the room the entire week we where there. We live 5 hours from there and we came home because we could not stand to be there anymore. we had to pay $25 for a microwave and a little fridge that froze everything. If you can avoid it do not go there.. Also it was $12 a day for parking.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank juanita_ash

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Stayed here with my gf and some of my friends during spring break. We travelled from Vancouver Canada and spent 2 nights here, front desk seemed indifferent toward anything and I don't think I saw a smile on any of their faces once. The elevator was ancient, hallways were dark and dingy and looked like nothing had been changed since the early 90s. Our hotel room had filthy carpets and I would NOT walk on it without having a pair of shoes or flip flops on. Bed sheets need to be changed too since they are outdated. If you're looking for a cheap hotel not too far off of downtown, this isn't a bad place if you're on a budget and not picky about where you stay. Otherwise, i'm sure there are better ones out there.

P.S. AVOID THE BREAKFAST!! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cypanadero
Seattle
Reviewed 6 November 2010

The room was comfortable, quiet and convenient to PSU and the light rail brought me to and from the train station and the Pearl District for free. Unfortunately the continental breakfast was worse than no breakfast at all. The staff were young and very helpful - I'd stay again but just make sure to go out for breakfast!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Rosa54
BC
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I came to the University Place Hotel for a conference and as the host hotel, it served its purpose. Because of the size of the hotel, all of the workshops were held offsite. That's not a huge deal but I am used to the host hotel having meeting rooms that are used for the conference. Otherwise, why is it the host hotel?

The hotel is simply a hotel. There is no on site restaurant and I arrived around 10 pm, hungry and had to fill up on snacks from the local 7-11. There is no restaurant or bar at the hotel.
There is a pool, which has been closed down for the winter so I can't comment on that, but it looks like a nice area where people could have a nice relaxing time.

My major opinion of this hotel is it is more or less fine, but not worth $100 plus a night. The hotel needs some major work just to deal with wear and tear over the years. If left to run its own course, it will be a certified dump in about 5 years. The elevator doesn't inspire confidence, makes strange rattling sounds and is about 3' x 6'. Someone small could lay down inside it, but that's about it.
The carpet in the hallways is showing the years, and the years that have passed since those colours were considered an acceptable decor choice.

There is free internet in the rooms (yay!!) and they will print up your boarding pass for free at the front desk. Other print jobs can be done through the business centre in the lobby. Those services were fine and all the staff I encountered were polite and helpful.
They have a very big parking lot that is available for $12 per night.

There is nothing glaringly wrong with the hotel, but I think it should cost no more than $65-$80 per night in the off season, and I hope the owners dig deep and get some reno's done. Because it's a decent hotel, and the rooms are big and quiet. It's just not worth as much money as they as asking.

I'm clicking that I wouldn't recommend the hotel, just because I think it's overpriced and that it would be pretty easy to find something of comparable or better quality in the neighbourhood for cheaper. I use Hotwire myself but I know there are other services.
And I do think the staff were great, and I do hope the owners free up some money to get the hotel back on track, because it is at a bit of a crossroads right now.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business