“Nice place, great value and awesome location- with an outdoor pool!”

University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #80 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Nice place, great value and awesome location- with an outdoor pool!”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We were in Portland on business with Portland State University and this property happens to be owned by that school. Located on campus it is close to the museum and block parks, has easy access to public transit and is within walking distance of a really nice section of downtown Portland.
Our room was lovely. Overlooking the courtyard and pool, it was well appointed and clean. Though obviously not new, it is suitable for any traveler(s) looking for a good value in a terrific location on campus. It is close to affordable restaurants and the outdoor pool area makes it a great choice for families with children. Of course, understand that this is a school campus so there may be college students present. Typically that could mean noise issues - but we did not encounter any problems on that level - even after passing half of a football team in the hall. The staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: I'll suggest that the poolside (inner) rooms might be quieter than outer rooms due to a reasonab...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank verymary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Requested a quiet room because I was having surgery at OHSO and was going to need a night to recover. I got a room with a giant noisy machine directly outside the room. Next I had purchased the manditory parking passes for $12 dollars a night and WAS STILL TICKETED $80 dollars by the parking enforcement. The staff started an argument with me over the parking dispute even though they charged the parking passes on my AMEX. Remember, I had just under gone surgery for my inner ear. I was in no shape to properly defend myself and they took complete advantage of me and the situation. I called the police and my attorneys. I am never staying there AGAIN. If you are going to the hospital for any procedure and need to spend the night, DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank tws1

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Nice hotel, good service, clean and quiet rooms. All common areas are kept clean and neat, nice breakfast buffet in morning, and even has clothes washer/dryer for guest use.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mondo_sa
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Hotel was located very close to a food cart pod, and free transit to the downtown core. Hotel staff were always pleasant. Daily breakfast was included and was good if you needed something quick and had scrambled eggs something that some other chains don't provide.

Room was very large, modern coffee maker in room, along with microwave and frigde in our reservation. Could do with some updating, but otherwise would happily book here again for the price.

This property does not have in room wifi but does provide a lan cable to plug your laptop in to so you can work.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Northeast Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2011

PSU made reservations for me to stay here (I'm in town for a job interview) and I was kind of scared after I read the other reviews on TripAdvisor. Fortunately the hotel is much better than I'd feared. It's fine! The bed is super comfortable with nice linens and fluffy pillows. The room is a nice size. The only thing that really needs updating is the shower head. No, it isn't fancy-schmancy super modern, but it's comfortable, and the staff have been very helpful and polite. Also, I found the gift shop to be surprisingly reasonably priced for those emergency items I needed (aspirin, Band-Aids).

I was surprised to find a free hot breakfast (I'm from the South and that just doesn't happen down there... state laws or something) but I do agree that the quality was low. Unless you're a total cheapskate, it's a better idea to go out for breakfast.

Overall, however, I was very satisfied and would stay here again. Location can't be beat and my room was nice and quiet, a huge plus in my book. Too often before a job interview I can't sleep because of some weird noise in my hotel room, but that was definitely not a problem here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank OkahumpkaGal
williamsburg, VA
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The hallway has a damp and musty smell, sort of like entering a basement that hasn't been inhabited for a long while, so that doesn't exactly set a good tone for this place. It is outdated and cries out for renovation. On the other hand, the staff is very nice.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank chrisman48
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We were sent to this place until our room at the Ronald Macdonald house. my daughter is ready to deliver and her baby will need an operation as soon as he is born. The heart specialist said to go there to wait. When we arrived the quilt on my bed had blood on it and not a little. The blanket underneath had white stuff on it and it was not milk!! They never cleaned the room the entire week we where there. We live 5 hours from there and we came home because we could not stand to be there anymore. we had to pay $25 for a microwave and a little fridge that froze everything. If you can avoid it do not go there.. Also it was $12 a day for parking.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business