“Location is good”

University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #79 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Free wifi, free breakfast. Location is good, easy to go to find food. There is no business center but staff can print document to you. Breakfast is fine, small selection but at least it is all you can eat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We decided to stay here because of the reasonable price and location. This hotel is not too far from some local breweries so it worked out great for us. I didn't mind paying the parking fee, in October it was $15/day, I just rolled it in to the hotel cost. The complimentary breakfast was great, there was scrambled eggs, oatmeal, sausage, bacon, yogurt, etc. and all foods were kept stocked until the very end of serving time. Staff was friendly and polite. We stayed in a Deluxe King room which on the website said had a fridge and microwave in the room, unfortunately there was not, but we had not brought food with us so I did not raise a stink about it. Overall, I would recommend this place if you are looking to stay in South Portland on a budget.

Room Tip: If you would like access to the WiFi stay in the B or C wing. Deluxe King rooms have recently been...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My fiance and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago for my birthday; I deeply regret choosing this hotel for our stay. The rooms are plain, and over-priced for what they are. The television has a small screen, and grainy visuals. There is no DVD player available, or hook-up to connect the television to any outside media player (laptop, or video game console). It is one of the most "old school" and poor quality tvs I've seen in a long time! Also, the front desk staff was very unhelpful whenever we had any sort of needs. The couldn't provide us with a guide for the tv stations, and rudely told us that we couldn't get (even a little bit of) a late check out the next morning.
The worst part was that the housekeeping came knocking on our door early in the morning (around 8:45ish), and when I said "Not now, please come back later", THEY CAME IN ANYWAY. It was embarrassing, considering that my fiance and I were still in bed, and almost fully asleep.
Also- the breakfast hall is a LONG walk from many of the rooms, and the food variety is strongly lacking.
I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank M L
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip to PSU. The pictures on the website appeared clean and decent for the price, but the pictures are not a realistic depiction of the shabbiness of the rooms and restaurant. When I arrived, I was given keys to a room that had not been cleaned. I was given a room choice and the next room I received had a hole in the wall, a non-functioning clock and a bathtub that filled up with dark rusty water when I attempted to take a bath. In fairness, re: the last thing, they offered me another room change, but at that point, I just wanted to be done with the whole thing. At the rate I paid (and the additional parking fee), I would have been much better off booking a room at a Super 8 or Motel 6. Dreary, run-down, and over-priced.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I wanted to be happy with this hotel. I was not. I booked a deluxe double, and got a dirty, average room, lacking the promised amenities; certainly not deluxe. The hallway smelled like old socks and cigarette smoke (there were three of us, and we all made the "dirty socks" comment at the same time!) and our sliding window would not close all the way.
Additionally, numerous charges were added to the bill that were not disclosed when I booked the room, making my shortened stay (I checked out a day early) cost the same as the quoted price for the full stay. Parking is $12/day per car, and there are multiple taxes added to the cost. It took two days, and many phone calls to straighten out the bill, which was done without fuss, but I didn't need to spend time correcting clerical errors.
Staff was pleasant. Hotel...not so much. Restaurant was frightening, no real sit-down restaurants nearby either. Would not recommend unless you're desperate, really desperate.

Room Tip: Make sure your windows close.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dolly505
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed two nights at University Place and having paid one third of the price of any other central Portland hotel, I was very skeptical. Staff were welcoming and friendly and helpful. Delicious chocolate chip cookies at check in was a nice touch. University Place has a tired well worn look. Do not expect luxury or even modern, but this hotel is easy walking distance of downtown Portland, quiet enough (nearby freeway does resonate), but most of all excellent value for money and that is why I rate this place very good. My girlfriend persuaded me to save money and stay where I normally would not and University Place was a pleasant surprise. Don't expect miracles, expect very good value

Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Fairly basic, but decent amount of space and pretty quiet. The carpets needed cleaning. The room had a sliding door opening to the pool. The free breakfast included bacon, eggs, and potatoes. It's located toward the outskirts of downtown by Portland State University and nearby food carts, a block from the streetcar line, and an easy walk to the waterfront. Overall a good value considering just about everything else downtown was so much more expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends