“Great location, Awful Room”

University Place Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #79 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

First off, I suppose we booked the non-renovated rooms, as our room looked nothing like the pictures that we saw online. We had to walk through a dark and dank hallway to our room, only to find a very dated and tired motel room -- when I checked the bed (we've had an 8 hour train ride to Portland), the pillows and bedding were covered in what looked like both human and dog hair. We called the front desk and told them of the situation, and all they did was bring us two new pilowcases and two new flat sheets, that we had to install ourselves. The heater was loud, and would rattle when it turns on, the bathroom small and uninviting.

The only good we can say is that the hot breakfast was generous, the location is great (we walked downtown), and the staff held our luggage for the day. We knew this is not a luxury hotel, but even for the lower price for a Portland stay, we expected a clean room at the very least. We will look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: If you ARE going to stay here, do yourself a favour, and ask for one on the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TeamRobardo
There are newer reviews for University Place Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in both the four-star Marriott and here in March, and found this appropriately located hotel more than adequate. It needs some refurbishing, but staff are helpful and friendly, everything you need is within walking distance, and there's not much fuss about making or changing arrangements. Good value, in comparison with its upmarket competitors.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a newer rather than an older room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank HunterBloemfontein
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My fiancé and I stayed there recently on a trip to Portland and were not super impressed… The location was great because we could walk to just about every place we wanted to see, but that is where the positive comments end. The front desk staff were not very friendly, the continental breakfast was sub-par, and the hotel itself is in desperate need of remodeling. I will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah V
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I got a good price online and went into the experience knowing the rating of the hotel and that this would not be a 3 or 4 star experience. But the location was close to the conference I was attending at PSU and convenience was what I was looking for most. We drove over from Bend, Oregon after work arriving around 7:30pm. When we arrived the place was packed, and from the signs in the lobby the hotel was hosting a conference themselves the next day. When we made it to the reception desk (a short wait of 15 min or so) the hostess could not find our reservation. I produced my copy of the Expedia confirmation. A manager then appeared and said he would look into it and asked us to wait off to the side. We were offered warm cookies to eat while we waited. After a few minutes he returned and apologized that “Expedia” had overbooked the hotel, believing the hotel had more rooms than they did. Really? But he was very gracious and offered us a room at the Benson fully paid for by the hotel including parking. I thought the hotel staff were friendly enough and the manager handled the overbooking professionally, even though it was an inconvenience. We were quickly on our way and checked in to the other hotel in less than 30 minutes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chowa-Rides-Again
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Short story- I booked a last minute, 2-night stay at University place and ended up staying one night solely because of my experience at the hotel.

Longer story- I admit that I had a small complication and I had to cancel my credit card due to suspicious activity after I booked the room. I brought cash and the staff at the hotel made me feel like a second-class citizen even though I explained the complication. During check-in and check-out I was made to feel as I was being treated very differently because of this.

The room was not at all what I would expect for $130 a night. I don't expect a 5 star experience for that but a clean room with a decent HVAC system would have been appropriate. The sheets had stains on them, the toilet bowl had streaks presumably from the previous occupant, and the wall-mounted heater (Motel 6 style) filled the room with a noisome "electric" smell that was very unpleasant.

The parking system is just plain weird. Instead of noting license plates and car models like a normal hotel they have this massive (almost the size of a regular piece of printer paper) paper thing you are supposed to hang from your mirror. I was on my motorcycle so this was pretty inconvenient for me and stressful. What if someone came along and for a "joke" removed this silly piece of paper and then my bike got towed? What if it rained (It's Portland and there was no cover on the parking lot) and the paper was soaked and illegible? The point is the hotel was at all understanding or accommodating. They refused to note my license plate and bike type and said that this paper was the only option.

Upon checkout I was rather loudly and snarkily told that "because I paid with cash" (as if this is now something to look down on?) I would have to wait while the room was checked for damages. I'm a 44 year old IT professional, not a 19 year old with a dozen friends in tow partying in the room all night. It was insulting and poorly handled, especially when the clerk used his haldheld radio and LOUDLY asked the person on the other hand to inspect the room.

I then had to explain to the clerk that I was due a refund for the second night I paid for but would not be using. He seemed oddly confused by this and it took over 10 minutes to sort it out.

If I had paid half the price for the room I would not have been any happier but I would have felt it was a "you get what you pay for situation." As it is, I was unhappy, treated poorly, and moderately disgusted at the condition of the room. I will never go back to this hotel even if they reduce their prices to something more in line with the marginal experience they provide.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DarthBeerz
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is in a great central location - close to the main trams and within easy walking distance of the river. The breakfast was plentiful and included (unusual in the USA) in the price.

Our bedroom was clean and comfortable. The carpet and the decor was a bit 'tired', but not so as to spoil our visit. We had a very nice evening meal which was reasonably priced. Surprisingly, there is a notice on the next requesting that patrons do not give gratuities. Instead there is a form which you are asked to complete and to name a particular member of staff, if we have had good/bad service.

I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Portland. It is great value for money, clean and with pleasant staff. What more can you want?

Room Tip: Maybe a room with French windows.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jane_turner53
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My daughter and I along with another parent and her daughter stayed here for a cheer competition in March. We did not choose the hotel it was chosen for us by the promoters of the event. The room was just ok. I'm not super picky I just require clean and safe. The room was clean but it was old. No bed bugs (always do a check which isn't 100% but makes me feel better). First night we had drunk college girls running up and down the outside corridor and vomiting in their room. It was bad. Not the hotels fault. We complained to the girls themselves not the hotel. Not sure how they rented that room out ever again as it was BAD! They left the door and window open for the following two days we were there. The hotel is a quick walk to the TriMet line. Super convenient way to travel through the city of Portland.

Breakfast in the morning was a pretty decent continental style with hot items such as eggs, bacon, potatoes and make your own toast. It was a perfect way to start the day.

We had dinner one night in the cafe located in the hotel as well. They only staffed it with one person to wait on tables. She was awesome and seriously over loaded. She was told that there wasn't many people staying so there was no need for more staff. Everyone from our group ended up here this night as it was late and pouring down rain. She handled us all professionally even though you could tell she was overwhelmed. The food was just soso but prices were good.

Overall would I stay here again? Probably not. The price was quite steep for this place for what you get. Would rather spend a few bucks more and have a nice place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family