“It's ok, I guess...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #81 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Coquitlam, Canada
“It's ok, I guess...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

If there's one word I would use to describe University Place, it's "dated". Entering the place felt like a walk back in time - the hotel seems to have everything original from when it first opened. The decor, the beds, the old school tube TVs, the retro windowless dining area, the bathrooms... I seriously doubt the hotel has ever done a significant refurbishment / remodeling.

But, all that said, who really cares how the hotel looks? As long as it's clean, comfortable, and quiet, that's what really matters. That's where this hotel met expectations. My room was clean, the hotel was fairly quiet, the breakfast was pretty standard for an included continental (scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, potatoes, baked goods, yogurt, and some fruit). It's relatively close to central Portland, so the location's not bad for the price. The biggest downer was having to pay for parking ($15/night).

If you're looking to stay in a snazzy, contemporary hotel this isn't the place for you. If you just need a decent bed for the night, this will probably meet your needs.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Hayward, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

The lobby was nice and the staff very helpful. The layout was somewhat confusing - trying to find our room was laborious because of the various levels and outdoor walkways etc.

Our room was clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was not available to us because we had to leave for the Rose Parade. They did their best to bring some food out for us though.

I think my biggest complaints had to do with location. There were really no restaurants nearby - although there were some food trucks about two blocks away. It was quite warm out, however, and we really wanted to find a sit-down restaurant with air conditioning. The restaurant in the hotel was not open for some reason. When we asked at the front desk, they didn't give us a reason for why it was closed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was in Portland for a wedding in late July. This hotel was convenient to their home, but otherwise was in a rather uninspiring location with very few attractions. It is right near I-405. I did not try the local transportation because of scheduling. It is owned and, I believe, operated by Portland State University. The facility is due for an upgrade as it is beginning to show its bare threads in the lobby and rooms. The room had a tube TV, a first for me in many years and stays at other hotels. The WiFi is only available in two wings and poolside, which worked for me as I was on the first level and thereby next to the pool. The staff was ok, but I did think the complimentary breakfast was good, perhaps because this place has a full restaurant kitchen and dining room...better than rubber scrambled egg "patties" and bottom shelf cereal in the budget chain operations.

Room Tip: Ask that you be assigned a room in a wing with accessible WiFi.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here for one night. It's a large hotel / conference centre. There were lots of kids around when we were there. There was nothing really wrong with it, it's just boring. Location was great.. about an $8 cab ride home after being out, or a 20min walk up to town. Staff were a ok..a bit dazed when we checked in so not much information etc.. maybe a long day? Room was noisy-ish just because there are so many people staying there.. and the kids! It's cheap and functional so it served it's purpose.. I imagine in a town like Portland there are better options though.

Room Tip: Maybe avoid ground floor rooms, it was noisy for us.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WMG_Traveller
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is tucked off in a back corner of Portland’s downtown, but is reasonably accessible by public transit (a big deal in Portland). The lobby is minimal and the staff are competent if a bit perfunctory.

My room was frankly past its best-before date: the security latch on the door was busted, the HVAC dealt poorly with the heat-wave, the carpet was faded, and so on.

Having said that, it was pretty cheap in a busy time.

Best of all, visitors get to use the PSU Internet access, which is like a hundred times better than typical US hotel Internet. The sign-in process is a little klunky, but my computer and mobiles were happy. And if you’re walking around the neighborhood, you’re still on-line.

Room Tip: I was in 244 and it was dingy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Everything went wrong. I had to be moved into 3 in just 2 days because the first two were disgusting. But so was the third. From blood stains and pee stains to ripped sheets to used oatmeal lids on the floor. The service team was rude to me for being so dissatisfied with the cleanliness and the manager lied to me in order to keep me at the hotel when I told her I was ready to leave and go to another one by telling me she would personally look over my THIRD room before she put me in there. Sure enough, it was the dirtiest of all 3. I was afraid to sleep in my own bed because they were so disgusting. I was afraid to shower because I felt dirtier after showering than I did before I got in. There are no amenities, the hotel is 30 years out of date, they don't even have wireless internet unless you're willing to pay almost twice as much for a room that is barely nicer than the base rooms. They also took my credit card for incidentals but then "accidentally" charged me for my stay without my permission. Everything about my stay was a failure in every way. Even the free breakfast was disgusting. Don't be fooled by the location. This place should be listed as a motel and charge half the price.

Room Tip: Paying for a "deluxe room" isn't worth the money, but if you absolutely have to stay i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank robcolletti

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Medford, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

They have a Electronica DJ festival going on at the pool until 8:30 tonight. They're pumping 110 dB of quarter note synthesizer bass and bass drum into my room right now. We weren't warned about this and they can't move our room. THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!! We're going to have to leave the hotel until it stops. This is so far from acceptable. This place is terrible!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room facing the pool. It's intolerable, like someone hitting you in the face 4 time...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family