“Bad service and a poorly organized kitchen, for which their management seemed to blame the customers.”

Thirst Wine Bar and Shop
Ranked #57 of 215 Nightlife in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Delicious locally inspired food, Pacific NW wine, creative cocktails and a friendly atmosphere. Located at The RiverPlace Esplanade on the Willamette River in downtown Portland with floor to ceiling windows to soak in the gorgeous views and patio seating for 140. Wine-friendly cuisine highlights Pacific NW-inspired seasonal entrees, starters, and desserts. Featuring 25-30 wines by the glass and 60+ by the bottle. Local spirits and draft beer. Dog friendly on the patio.
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Thirst has a great location so it's not unusual to find less than fantastic food at high prices and sub par service but this place really lowers the bar. Totally average food at premium prices but service so bad it almost didn't seem real. Two of us ate, one "grilled" meal arrived while we waited more than 5 minutes for gazpacho and a Caesar salad to arrive. The people at the table next to us left after waiting more than 10 minutes for drinks that never arrived. When we raised the poor service with the manager, he first ignored the complaint and then he and another became confrontational and complained that they were busy (which they weren't, particularly for a late summer Fri night) and their two kitchens had no way to communicate to time when orders are completed. When we pointed out that it's not our problem if they can't handle a rush, they said they would cpver our meal (part of which we never ate) and told us to leave immediately. Hate to tell you Thirst, but we eat out to be waited on by you - we aren't all in it together because you're stressed...hope the next restaurant does well in that location after you close down.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

Horrible....worst experience we have ever had at a restaurant.

We love food. We eat at about 50 restaurants a month. My husband is a classically trained chef at the Culinary Institute of America. Did I mention we LOVE food?

The waiter at this restaurant was so rude and aggressive, all the patrons at the outdoor tables were actually discussing it. On top of this angry attitude, he actually forgot half our dinners! After two were served, we waited an additional 30 minutes and asked about the food, and he simply told us he forgot to put in our order. No apologies or offers....nothing. He simply brought the bill. My husband forced me to leave 10% tip which I reluctantly did. Then, we left, starving.

Now I know why all the other cafes were packed and Thirst has only a handful of patrons....

Lesliewine, Owner at Thirst Wine Bar and Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2010

We apologize. There is certainly no excuse for poor and rude service. Thirst strives for excellent service and this situation has been taken care of. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. It is especially great if you can write the owner of an establishment directly if situations like this happen so we can take care of it swiftly.
Leslie Palmer
Chef / Owner, Thirst Wine Bar & Bistro

Reviewed 18 June 2010

We went with a local to Thirst, as he has been there before and enjoys it. Thursday nights they have free wine tastings of three Northwest wines. They were focusing on one winery in Washington. All the wines were very good. We shared the crab dip for an appetizer and all ordered the pulled pork on polenta. There was a good amount of food for a reasonable price. The food was great.

The wine tasting was casual and informative. It reminded me of winetasting in the Finger Lakes Region of NY. No pretentiousness, all friendliness.

Reviewed 15 June 2007

Wow - a wine bar without attitude and that has a beautiful view, good food and a great selection of wines. Albeit they focus on Pacific Northwest wines, not something I usually gravitate toward - but their selection is delicious and the staff knows how to point you to what you will like. For the adventirous - they also have wine flights which looked fun! Check it out!!

3  Thank WineBabe
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2006

on a recent trip to Portland we went to Thirst - a wine bar on the Riverside Esplanade at Montgomery Street (0315 SW Montgomery) - I was very pleased to be able to sample a number of local wines (in addition to offering a big list of wines by the glass they offer "flights", small glasses of a range of wines within various categories.) We were a party of four, so ended up being able to taste a substantial number of wines. I don't know a whole lot about wine, but the waitperson was very informative, and not at all snobby about my prediliction for chardonnay (ask for Dan) -
IAs a result of our visit to Thirst I felt I brought some greater sophistication and information to the wine touring we did the next day. The view of the river was entertaining, the decor quite modern, but done in welcoming colors. Food selection were smaller type things, like tapas, - try the roasted olives. I think they also sold bottles of Pacific northwest wines.
Since our daughter has moved to Portland we will be going there more frequently - we'll definatly go back to this wine bar.
We also went to Higgins for dinner - that was terrific, and for an easterner the prices seemed pretty reasonable

2  Thank ma8walker

Been to Thirst Wine Bar and Shop? Share your experiences!