A Painted Lady Inn
US$256
US$211
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsvictorian stylelocation is greatstreet parkingwithin walking distancecottagejodydowntown
Reviewed 8 March 2013

This inn is unsatisfactory in terms of cleanliness, hospitality, quality of rooms/bathrooms, and basic necessities. In one of the bedrooms we rented there was no inside door knob which meant if you closed the door, you could not open to get out. Fortunately, there was a rope ladder for window exit. Our upstairs "suite" had no heat nor extra blankets. Regarding basic expectations, towels were piled in the stairwell and appeared to not have been used for ages - stiff and dusty; no bath mat, dirt everywhere - shower, base boards, lace curtains, lamp shades, windows and likely mold in shower, etc. However, on the guest bath sink was a a dried out container of Lysol wipes that I suppose were meant to be used for us to clean the bathroom prior to bathing! The bathroom drawer contained all sorts of used toiletries from various hotels, including used soaps. There were 2 hair dryers, neither of which worked. Carpets were stained. No cups or glasses in the bathroom so had to use your hands to take medication or brush teeth. I was told I could make some coffee in the morning if I wanted since we were not paying extra for breakfast. Could she not have been up by 8 to make a pot of coffee? In the one bath the exhaust fan was so full of dirt and dust that it could in no way have been effective. Mirrors were smudged and dusty. There are 2 1/2 bathrooms in the guest part of the house with 5 rooms (this includes one bathroom with shower and downstairs bath with one claw foot tub with a nozzle the size of a penny and no shower option in the tub.) For the 4 rooms upstairs, there are 1.5 baths with a shared shower. If one selects the downstairs bedroom, you are stuck with only a claw foot tub with no shower option. The neighborhood around this place is full of dilapidated old Victorian homes. The website says the inn location is "minutes" from the Pearl District. In actuality it is a 10-15 minute drive across the bridge (and longer with traffic). To say this was a disappointment is a HUGE understatement. This place was totally AWFUL and UNACCEPTABLE.
Finally in order to confirm this reservation it took me several unreturned phone calls and several unanswered emails.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Rochelle N
apaintedladyinn, Owner at A Painted Lady Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

This review is rediculous! I bent over backwards to accomodate all of this women's special needs! First of all she purchased a Groupon which is a 75% discount on a two night stay, but instead of two consecutive nights she wanted two rooms on the same night which I graciously accommodated! Her reservation request was confirmed the same day she made it and although we did play phone tag about changing the reservation to two rooms on the same night, her accusations about customer service and the house being clean are rediculous! Breakfast was a$15 upgrade which she did not want to pay , but I agreed and set the table for them to have coffee in the morning for no charge and yet she complains I didnt serve it for them! She called to say they would arrive 5hrs late for her checkin time so we aggreed I would leave a key since I had dinner plans that evening and I checked in with them when I returned home to ask if they needed anything, they thanked me and said they were fine and then write this review. By the way there is a heater, extra blankets and a doornob on the inside of the room so you dont have to go out the window on the emergency ladder! They were the only guests in the house and complain about sharing a bath. The tile in the shower was regrouted six months ago and the hairdryers work fine and by the way the house is located in Irvington historical neighborhood, one of the most beautiful areas of Portland and it takes 15min to walk to the Pearl just across the Broadway bridge, only 5-10 to drive. Note to self, no more Groupons....its not worth having to address this kind of review!

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Lovely and quaint. Offering several options from the cozy den to a separate guest house. Very convenient to transportation options to the city. We stayed in the den. It had a small gas fireplace, small sofa, and queen sized bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom, with a claw tub, was just down the hall. Jody, our hostess, prepared delicious egg hollandaise for breakfast served with basil and dried tomatoes.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are larger, particularly the Master. Their bath does ave a shower, but if a soak in a tub is what you want, the downstairs bath is also available. The guest house is quite roomy with lovely views of the garden. The whole home has been lovingly restored with period furniture and decor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela and Ron G
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I visited this bed & breakfast in April for Admissions day with my daughter. Our stay was pleasantly welcoming, clean, private, & very comfortable! Myself & my 2 teenage daughters stood in the cottage. The breakfast was healthy & well portioned. My teenagers as well as I were elated to know we had free wifi as I needed to connect with my employer & they their social sites. I will definitely stay again but only in the cottage!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Norma S
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We were referred to The Painted Lady by another BB which did not have rooms
available. We called owner and she was very helpful and said she had a room
available for four people.

The room was not a room but the remodeled attic, extremely hot without
proper ventilation - also impossible to stand up straight due to low
ceilings. We shared the bathroom with other rooms. The shower floor linoleum
had been painted and was peeling with mold showing - the shower temperature
fluctuated between hot and cold

The breakfast was not very good. The location was very central in a
beautiful neighborhood, the owner of the bed breakfast was kind and very
good in giving us directions.

The prices were excessively high at $140 + $16 for additional person. The
price for a bed and breakfast of this kind should have to be $70 max.

We have traveled around the world and for the money your are best staying at
a motel were basic necessities are met.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Giselle H
apaintedladyinn, Owner at A Painted Lady Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

I should have known when I took this reservation that this review would follow. The husband was overly concerned that his wife would not be satisfied with the room. When he made the reservation I explained to him the rooms were small and if after the first night they wanted to move to my cottage it was available for them to do so, but they did not complain at the time about anything. There is an air conditioner in the room and all the windows open for ventilation. Each morning they came down at least 30-45 minutes late to breakfast being served at 9am, so yes their breakfast was warmed up for them. As far as the shower is concerned it has since been stripped and re-grouted and the water heater is an instant hot water heater, so the water is hot on demand!

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Prior to making my reservation with A Painted Lady Inn I did a fair amount of research looking at different B & Bs in the area. I chose the Painted Lady, because the price seemed fair, and it appeared from the ad and pictures to have the look, feel and location I was looking for. Upon my arrival for my 5 night stay, in the "Den" I discovered that when the ad said "full bath with tub" this meant it had NO shower. Upon commenting to the owner that this would not suit for 5 nights she offered to move my wife and I out to the cottage for an additional $40/night. We stayed for one night in "The Den", and although we loved the home, its antiques, the parlor and the charming dining room, the lack of a shower was not going to work for 5 days. Having felt as though the ad misled me I asked the owner if I could cancel my remaining nights and opt for a motel. At this point I let the owner talk me into staying in the "Cottage" for an extra $15 rent. The "Cottage" is what was once the detached garage now renovated into living quaters, with a shower. However, once you've been moved out to the garage you are no longer a guest in the house, no charming living room, no using the dining room, no conversation with other guests, no antique furniture, all the things one stays at a B & B for. I was "Moved Out" and banished to the cottage, an oversized motel room. Breakfast was delicious, and well prepared although four days of eggs was probably too many eggs for me.

Room Tip: when staying at a B&B do not assume you have a bath room, you may share a bathroom, and it may be down the hall. Take the time to call the owner and verify what your room rent includes in regards to a bathroom. Full bath may not include a shower.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian M

This guest arrived and was unhappy that their bath did not have a shower. I immediately told him I could move him to the cottage with a shower and he fumed off needing to speak to his wife about it who would arrive later in the day. That night I didn't hear anything from them and the next morning there fuming was so distasteful to the other guests at breakfast that it made them feel uncomfortable and the other guests hurriedly left the breakfast table. They then came to me to cancel their reservation and I again offered the cottage. They complained about being deceived and I told them I wanted them to be happy and that I would be happy to move them to the cottage for the same price and that's what I did. There was no up charge! The received a room that normally rents for $179 for $119/night for five nights and then have the nerve to continue to fume here on their review. The cottage is a beautiful space with wonderful light, if they had wanted to have access to the main house as well, all they needed to do was ask, but there was obviously no satisfying this guest.