“Disappointed- Poor Communication With Management.”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Pearl District
Ranked #5 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Disappointed- Poor Communication With Management.”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Located in the Pearl District the Residence Inn opened it's doors last week, We were excited to be in a new hotel, but have decided that next time we come to Portland this will not be our choice. They obviously have some bugs that need working out.

So, to start with the positive- rooms are large, clean and have kitchenettes. A comp breakfast is the bonus and the introductory room rates are good value.
The first complaint I have is the sheer "tech arrogance" Rooms have master lights at the door entry, Hence, the lights do not work in the bathroom unless these lights are on. The fan was blowing cold air and there is no remote to adjust. As there is no info whatsoever in the room, one must phone the desk to ask all these silly questions which we did 3 times.
When I asked the desk clerk why there was no info sheet in the room she replied: "Because you can phone us each time at the desk". Frankly, I don't want to waste valuable time phoning the front desk. Put something in the room!
We also learnt that unless one uses the charger provided on the desk in the room to recharge a laptop, the plug will automatically unplug,

As a corporate/travel writer I emailed both the Assistant Manager, Laura Allen and the General Manager, Mr. Win .to connect. As this was a first trip to Oregon I had hoped to include the new hotel in the article. Neither assistant manager or general manager returned any of the emails or phone calls I made.
Front desk finally connected me with the general manager who said he had too many emails to respond to because the hotel had recently opened.
It appears they were both too busy.
Once again, left a note at the front desk for the assistant manager, Laura Allen, who didn't bother to reply or leave a message in our room.

So the Residence Inn will clearly not be included in my travel article. Too bad as there are many followers and they lost a great opportunity for free publicity,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Genevieve C
Laura A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Pearl District, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Genevieve C,

Thank you for taking some time to share your experience, and appreciate your understanding and patience during our busy opening week.

I apologize for the trouble the upgraded in-room technology gave you during your stay. The hotel was designed to have less of an environmental impact and carbon footprint by using energy efficient lighting. We have since placed signage near the master light switch to make it easier for guests to operate the lights and minimize confusion. In addition, since your stay, we have placed a monthly menu in the suite kitchens that lists basic hotel information such as restaurant and breakfast hours, service and amenity information, and our social hour menu so that guests do not have to call down for everything. I am sorry that during our opening week we had not had a chance to get them printed in time for your stay.

We hope that you will choose to come back and stay with us, should you return to the area.

Best Regards,
Laura Allen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is not a typical Marriott Residence Inn. They actually made progress in making the place architecturally and interior design wise really attractive. All nice modern furniture, nice drapes, spacious rooms, great location. Wow, sounds like we will stay here again when visiting family. And they have a lovely breakfast included...make your own waffles., eggs, the whole thing. I give it a five star not because it's an exclusive resort but for what it is, it definitely deserves 5 stars because they did it so well.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 6th floor (suite) that was sweet! Had a peek of the Willamette River, full kit...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Laura A, Manager at Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Pearl District, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Wow- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate the positive comments and the 5 Star rating. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, that the room was clean and up to date, and that you enjoyed our food in the restaurant. Feedback of any kind is the nourishment that lets us grow. We will look forward to having you as our guest again when you come back to visit.
portland
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is a brand new hotel, and it looks new! I took the streetcar and it's only a block from the closest stop to the hotel, which is nice. They opened the door for me and welcomed me warmly. Mark at the front desk was great. I had a room on the second floor that was close to the stair well which was nice, because it lead to the outdoor space, I didn't have to walk down the hall and take the elevator to get out quickly. There were also a group of people staying on the second floor who were clearly smoking weed in the room and the outdoor space.

The outdoor space is nice, but is open to anyone. I heard someone mention homeless people sleeping there at night, which is kind of creepy. They had a BBQ event, but it was indoors which is a bummer because their grill looked nice, and it was a nice day. I can only imagine sitting outside to enjoy the food and drink. They offered hot dogs and salad, chips and cookies for their BBQ event, food was basic. The two drink vouchers they offered included your choice of Bud light or house wine. Really? Bud light? This hotel is located close to some of the best breweries in Portland, but it cost extra if you wanted the premium stuff. The female who hosted the event was nice to talk to. Breakfast was nice and clean the next morning, all the attendants really nice.

Their lobby space was nice, but all the furniture is still stiff, I found the same in the room. I am not a fan of the open shower, who really wants to see themselves in the shower anyway? There was a glass panel that only covered half the shower, the other half is open. Also, I only had lotion and conditioner in my room, I had to ask for shampoo. I really enjoyed the big flat screen t.v. and complimentary popcorn.

Overall, the hotel is nice because it's new, but the color scheme of yellow and gray made it somewhat non-inviting and drab. Things are still stiff and smell new. I would probably choose something with more life and more toward central downtown next time.

2 Thank Diva1983
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences about your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed speaking with our staff and that everyone was friendly. I apologize that the housekeeping staff failed to provide shampoo in your room during your stay as this was an oversight on our behalf. As you mentioned, we do host BBQ events. With summer just around the corner, we will definitely be utilizing our space outside in the courtyard area to ensure that our guests can enjoy themselves and have a great experience. We hope to see you again in the future!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I've watched the building of this hotel for a year or so. Last night a couple of business colleagues stayed there and gave the rooms and service rave reviews. I met them in the lobby to head out for breakfast. Totally impressed. Large airy lobby, beautiful outdoor patio setting, friendly staff. Rooms have kitchens, etc. What a wonderful addition to The Pearl.

Room Tip: Call in advance. I have not personally stayed there as I live in The Pearl.
1 Thank mamababoo
Thank you so much for your 5 star rating on our hotel. We are happy to hear that you love this hotel as a new addition and appreciate you recommending the Residence Inn Portland Downtown Pearl District hotel to your collegues. We are glad that you got to be a part of watching the hotel be built!
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Just returned from a one night stay at this Brand New hotel. It is a beautiful new property in a great location! The rooms were very nice and new. We had a one bedroom suite with 2 queen beds. It was perfect for a quick one night stay for 4 girls.

The staff were great, especially Mark at the front desk and the two bellman. We did not partake in the evening cocktail reception, but it was my understanding they offered a complimentary glass of wine or beer to each guest (nice touch :). My friends ate at the complimentary buffet breakfast and said it was great.

We were able to walk all around the Pearl District and felt very safe in doing so at night. Had dinner at Henry's Tavern which is one of my favorite restaurants in Portland. Great food and fun atmosphere. There was a Subway a block down the street for anyone looking for something cheap and simple to eat in the room. There was also a liquor store a couple blocks away where we made a purchase and had a few cocktails in our room before heading out for the evening.

We ended the evening in the beautiful relaxing outdoor/courtyard area sipping a beer from the hotels mini market and visiting.

All in all a great stay. I am so excited to have this new addition to downtown Portland especially since it is in the Pearl District. Can't wait to go back for a weekend :)

2 Thank ginaj
Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Portland Downtown Pearl District. Wow, thank you for the 5 star review and we are glad to hear that our front desk associate delighted you. We pride ourselves on our guest service and glad to hear that it met your high expectations. We are so happy that you received friendly service, the room was clean, and your friends enjoyed our food in the restaurant. We are happy to hear this location was perfect for your stay in Portland and we will look forward to having you as our guest agian in the future!
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

What a great stay and an even better staff. Extremely helpful and courteous for sure. Room was excellent... Wanted to stay longer. Walking distance to Providence Park to watch the Portland Timbers and great restaurants on 21st. Great work guys!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cmehaffey
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate the positive comments and the 5 Star rating. We are so happy that you received friendly service, the room was clean, and you enjoyed the convienent location of our hotel. Feedback of any kind is the nourishment that lets us grow and we hope that we have the opportunity to have you back as guest in the future.
Seattle
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I didn't realized until I checked in that I arrived on its opening day. The room is roomy by any standard. The location is downtown adjacent, comfortable walk even late into the night. Closed to street car & within eye-shot to the river. Kitchenette. Walk-in shower. Perfect home base to explore pdx.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lariat3000
Thank you very much for taking the time to give feedback on our Residence Inn Portland Downtown Pearl District Hotel. We are glad to know that you were one of our very first guests in this hotel! We are happy to hear that it was convenient for your stay in Portland. Please visit us again if your travels bring you to the area.