Ace Hotel Portland
  • Pool
US$224
US$195
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstumptown coffeephoto boothclyde commonsrecord playermalin goetzclawfoot tubthe pearlpendleton blanketsprivate bathroomhipster hotelshared bathpowell's bookscool hotelcool vibeold schoolbreakfast roomcoffee table
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I really enjoyed my time at the Ace Hotel in Portland.

It has a convenient location to everything I wanted to do while I was in the city, the room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

It's nice having the attached bar and coffee shop for late night drinks and coffee to start the day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Impossible to sleep on 2nd floor due to the noise of the bar downstairs and outside. Windows have no sound isolation whatsoever. Too pricey for all that noise. Rooms are cleaned very late. Otherwise quite cool and funky plus real good location.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank roaring60
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I can't believe I have to stay here another night. I actually laughed when I opened the door to my room, that's how ridiculous it is. As a New Yorker who lives in a studio apartment, I'm used to small spaces but I also know how to make them work. $265/night for a 10 x 12 room with one window that looks at a brick wall. The air conditioner was so noisy I had to turn it off to sleep, which meant the room got pretty stuffy overnight and it already smelled damp and mildew-y when I checked in. Granted I was able to open the window, but since I look out on an air shaft, the air isn't exactly fresh. The 23" television on the wall is a joke: tiny and terrible picture quality. Uncomfortable mattress on a low plywood platform bed, miniature desk too small to work on, cheapo plastic chair that hurts your back. No place to put your suitcase, although they did have one of those folding racks in the doorless closet. Unfortunately, the room is so small you have to put the rack between the bed and the bathroom. The bathroom is plenty big with a clawfoot tub, but for some reason the sink is in the tiny bedroom. It too, is tiny, attached to the wall, with no countertop to lay out your toiletries. No fridge, no coffeepot, no dresser. I usually prefer boutique hotels to chains, but this one is a joke; their website is highly misleading. My office booked this hotel for me. If I were paying my own money I'd be furious. As it is, I'm going to have to find somewhere else to work today...I certainly can't get anything done here. Can't wait to move on.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank acmeplant
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Me and two friend stayed here for three nights in June, and it was a very cool spot, but when I think about it, it was very pricey, and with breakfast not included and the smallest room of three I stayed in while on our inter-city USA trip, the other two being San Fran and Vegas, it was expensive.
The rooms were like super fancy hostel rooms, as we stayed in a triple room, and shared a bathroom down the hall. The only other time I had that was in hostels back in the day, and a super-cheap hotel in Seattle a few years ago.
We were well located though, and the bar and coffee shop either side were very handy for late nights/early mornings!
If you get a decent price on this place, go for it, but you have to like serious quirky features.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Snappychick
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Ace Portland is not like any other hotel we have stayed in, with lots of surprising features, like the sliding industrial doors on the window and bathroom door; a futon surrounded by futon cushions; antique newspaper on the walls; and lots of exposed pipes and conduits. There are bikes available in the lobby, and a $12 breakfast on floor 2.
All this is great of course, along with the cool and funky website with a shop and blogs. But the website doesn’t let you know what time checkout is (12 noon actually), and the sink didn’t have a plug. There is a light on only one side of the bed and no hotel guide that we could find to give us the basics.
This hotel is a great example of style and design taking precedence over functionality. There is little logic to the rooms, little thought has been given to the comfort of the guest. Examples:
• Great tub/ shower… no mat to stop people from slipping.
• Coffee? Yes, but you have to go to the 2nd floor breakfast room to get it. Great hotels offer cups in the room.
• Great that a basket of water, diet coke etc. is on offer. But no fridge in the room (and a two hour wait for ice) so who wants to drink it?
• The only outlet for the hairdryer is above the sink. Not really safe!
If the basics aren’t provided the trendy touches become an annoyance, not a delight. But these are all things that could be put right if management put guest comfort first and quirkiness second. We are looking forward to your response.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple