1,193 results
All reviews elmer's restaurant sandy blvd best westerns breakfast burrito great place to stay nice breakfast next morning portland area easy access the breakfast area bed was comfortable hot tub rental car shuttle service fresh fruit desk clerk free shuttle
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Usually stay at another Best Western when I am in Portland. They did not have any rooms available for this trip. Instead of being off the I-5, I was off the 205. Easy access / egress; most pleasant and helpful staff; great beds; decent pool, spa, and work out room; breakfast provided lots of options, tasted good, and the staff were always available to satisfy customers and keep the area clean. Great experience. Would not hesitate to stay at the Pony Soldier in the future.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank PudgeWashington
Kiran A, General Manager at Best Western Pony Soldier Inn - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 11 September 2018

We stayed here three nights but will never stay again.
Pros:
Good location by airport
Comfortable beds
Semi quiet rooms except for the occasional train right behind the hotel and landing planes

Cons:
Entire hotel smells like smoke but rooms are especially bad
They allow cats and dogs in rooms (bad for allergies)
Tiny bathroom
Surly breakfast staff and missing breakfast items all three mornings (milk, butter, sugar, oatmeal extras)
Unresponsive management

All three mornings we went to breakfast at 9:30 am (breakfast closed at 10am). Coffee was out on the first morning and on all mornings the milk containers were empty, no butter, no oatmeal extras (cranberries, brown sugar etc). The sweeteners are located in the lobby by the coffee. Nothing by the cereal or oatmeal in the breakfast area. Not good if you are in a rush for a flight. We asked for coffee and the same breakfast lady complained "every time I turn around there is a line". Then we asked her for milk by finding her in her prep room (a long walk as all doors were locked to the dining area) and she said "I'm trying to close everything down (25 minutes early). If you go get me a cup, I will get you some milk".

There was no "I am sorry, let me get you some milk, butter, etc" just a surly, huffy response as if we were putting her out.

We complained to the manager on the first morning and they said they would fix it. Not so. The same thing happened the following two mornings and we were not the only ones complaining. They said they would be contacting us but we never heard a thing.

Our final morning I went to the management to ask for milk and butter because the breakfast lady was nowhere to be found. The manager pointed to the breakfast lady sweeping the lobby (what?? why wasn't she manning the breakfast area that needed restocking?) and just shrugged and indicated she was on the phone. No follow up from management. After three straight days of subpar service we wondered if management condones this behavior? doesn't care? Is too cheap to hire additional staff? Who knows, but if they cannot manage breakfast until 10am, change the hours and close at 9am.

As a business owner for 20 plus years serving clients, this hotel needs major help in many areas, namely training their staff and management in basic customer service. We generally love Best Western. Not this one. Save yourself the exasperation and go elsewhere. We travel to Portland monthly and wanted to give this place a try. Never again.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 503-256-1504.

Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

We made the reservations online, so you never know what to expect, and when we pulled into the parking lot my first thoughts weren’t all that positive. Not that the building looks bad, or neglected, it just looks older and dated on the outside. Inside the lobby however was quite nice, with tall windows looking out over the courtyard and pool, and the room was even better. The room was very nicely updated, well appointed and had a comfortable bed. The hotel is right next to the highway, but our room was away from the highway side so there was little noise to be heard. Also, the hotel is right beside the I205 multi use path, a nice place to go for a run before dinner. It’s quite close to the airport, but a ways from the downtown area, so an Uber or cab will cost a bit more if you’re going that way.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 503-256-1504.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

We stayed at this Best Western for two nights and can thoroughly recommend it. We had a nice quiet room on the second floor overlooking the pool. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. We went to Elmers next door one evening, which was good, and a Vietnamese the second day, which was less so. The hotel is close to the light rail station for easy access to Portland ($5 for a day ticket). We didn't actually enjoy Portland that much I'm afraid but can hardly blame the Pony Soldier Inn for that! Thank you for making us Brits feel so welcome.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Kiran A, General Manager at Best Western Pony Soldier Inn - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Thank You for your stay with us .

Reviewed 27 August 2018

I booked this hotel because it was near the airport, highway and easy drive to my high school reunion in Washington. The parking and exterior were not too enticing but inside it is clean, quiet, and Best Western décor. My room was on the 2nd floor, overlooking the courtyard/pool. The A/C worked fine and I was able to turn the fan down to low. The bed was comfortable and I was able to get a good night's sleep. The bathroom is smaller than I am used to and the closet had not doors on it. The room is spacious enough to fit a rollaway bed in, if needed. The hotel is only 2 floors so I didn't have anyone above me. I could hear the neighbor's snoring for part of the night and the toilet flushing. However, the train and airplane noises were muted. The staff was friendly. The breakfast area was clean but the food was standard, premade rubbery eggs. The potato dish was very tasty.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Kiran A, General Manager at Best Western Pony Soldier Inn - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018