“Tried Twice, Won't Again”

Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fremont, California
“Tried Twice, Won't Again”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My girlfriend and I visit Portland every month or so and we've stayed here twice. The decor and hotel is not bad. The reason we won't go back is because of the service and comfort of the bed. The bed is very firm and has no give. The service people are a hit and miss. One lady during check in looked at us three distinct times till she finally came to the counter to ask if we needed help. DUH!! I'm standing at the counter for my health! The wireless is slow and crap. Overall just a bad experience. This was try two and the first time wasn't any different.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
BWPortland, Front Office Manager at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
I am sorry for the problems you had with both the front desk and the wireless. We have since fired the person who you had a problem with. Our new staff members would never do this and apologize for her actions. The wireless has also been fixed. We worked with the city to get new internet lines run to this area. Previous speeds were pretty much a joke but now we have a 1gb/sec line run into the hotel. Since the upgrade we have not had any issues with the wireless. We hope to see you soon and you can see all of our improvement.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 October 2012

It's has a great location if you are headed north from Portland in the morning: no rush hour traffic. We give them high marks for everything except Wi-Fi which was very poor. They are aware of their outdated routers, and will be changing them soon.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaMG
BWPortland, Guest Services Agent at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
Hello,

On behalf of Best Western Inn at the Meadows and its entire staff, we would like to thank you for your stays. It is a pleasure to have you as a loyal guest and we look forward to seeing you again. We are very happy to see that you enjoy your stays and that our accommodations meet your needs. See you soon!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I originally had intended to stay at this property for three nights (business trip) however upon checking in and attempting to get onto the Internet, I discovered serious problems with this hotel's Internet reliability. The connection would come and go and I constantly had to "reconnect". The front desk had to "RESET" the modem two times on the first night. I was told that the hotel was full and this is what was causing the Internet to be "slow". The following morning I had a Webex meeting I needed to attend online however I was unable to get on the Internet at all. This was simply unacceptable and I checked out and went to another hotel. Overall, this is a very "Average" property; room was clean and otherwise functional but the furnishings were a bit dated (e.g. still has the old style TV's and dated bathrooms). The breakfast in the morning was decent. I would NOT recommend this hotel for a business traveler. If you need reliable Internet, this is NOT the hotel you want to stay at.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
We understand your frustration and have since upgrade our service to the fastest that is available in Portland. We have not had any issues with the wireless since our upgrade. When this area was build there was not as much of a demand for internet and wireless for people but we can now say that all business travelers will have no issues with getting and staying connected. We apologize for the problems you had but hope you will stay with us again and see our improvements.
Waconia, MN
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

My basic requirements - clean sheets and space to stretch were met. And the desk people were nice enough. The hotel is a little worn but well kept. But there is no exercise room, the wireless Internet didn't work for more than about two minutes in four days, and the people in that area are just plain weird. Between the cross dressers, the piercing and tattoo competition, and the late night domestic disturbance in the parking lot (police were called), I can't say I'm interested in coming here again. Next time, I'll stay in Vancouver.

• Stayed October 2012
I hope that you will give us another try and see that we have improved the hotel both with the rooms and with the internet. We are still trying to find an area for a workout room but do offer guest’s passes to a local gym and the city recently completed about 10 miles of running and biking trails around the hotel. The tattoo convention is always a unique time but have never had major issues with them and we always try to keep a great clientele at the hotel. Portland is a weird place with many characters but they are good people. We hope that you will bypass Vancouver to stay and give us another chance.
Mendocino, California
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Room ok, breakfast adequate although no yogurt after the first two mornings (we stayed five nights).
Our big complaint - the Internet connection didn't work after our arrival Sunday night. No one at the front desk
could give us an explanation. On the third day an employee told us a cable had been severed and was being
repaired. She assured us Internet connection would be available. On the fifth day, when the cable had been
"repaired," our laptop said connection was too weak to be used. At the front desk the explanation was that
many hotel guests were using Smart Phones, as well as laptops, and there was too much demand for the cable. Our advice - don't stay at this Best Western if you need to use your computer.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
I am sorry about the issues you had during your stay with the wireless service. I can understand how frustrating this can be. We have since upgraded our internet service to 1 gb/sec service which is the fastest available. After seeing how big of an issue this was we knew we had to do something. I am glad that the rest of your stay suited your needs. We hope that you will come visit us soon so you can see the improvements in both the internet and the hotel in general.
Manhattan
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed at the B/W Inn at the Meadows in Portland, OR against the reviews suggesting that management was poor at responding to guest complaints or issues.
I had phoned the Inn in advance to find out specific travel information and found the men and women to be very helpful so I decided to give it a try. I used my B/W points to book two nights and thought all would be OK. I was sorely mistaken and wish I had not thought that a phone call would be enough to judge customer service.
I arrived late and the next morning left between noon and 1p.m. (removing the do not disturb sign). Arriving back to my room late (2a.m.) only to find it in the same condition I had left it.... bed un-made and all my towels wet on the bathroom floor ... not what I would like to deal with in the middle of a weekend of wedding events for a close friend or at 2 a.m. The night desk agent brought towels and offered to have my room cleaned (at now 2:30am) all the while saying I must have caused this by leaving the DND sign on the door.
In the morning when checking out the Manager also made reference to it being my fault for leaving my room too late, and when I corrected him he decided it was caused by the DND sign, then when I was adamant that I had it on the interior.... he said I wasn't a real customer since I had booked with B/W [LOYALTY] POINTS !?!

This hotel is by no means dirty or the worst place I have stayed in but management is absolutely out of their minds. whoever owns this B/W should seriously consider the attitude of the people who are there to provide top tier customer service.

Room Tip: the rooms are fine it's management you need to avoid...Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tracy613
I am sorry about the issues you had with both the management and the issues with housekeeping. We now have a new management team where their #1 priority is customer service. We would now never ever say that a person using points is not a real customer. We value all best western members as we know they have a loyalty to this brand and that returning guests is what makes or breaks a hotel. We hope you will come and visit us again to see our recent renovations and changes in Management.
JAKandBarney
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Let me preface these remarks by saying the physical property is in good condition and my room was clean. The wireless didnt work the night I stayed. Specifically I could find one of the 2 wireless routers but the signal was too weak to get a connection. Front desk tried rebooting to no avail. I suspect the mgmt hasnt addressed this by placing routers strategically to ensure access. In 2012 this just isnt acceptable.

• Stayed October 2012
I am sorry about the issues you had with the wireless during your stay. We have since upgraded our service to the fastest that is available in Portland (1gb/sec) and this has eliminated all the issues that guests where having with the wireless. I hope that you will come visit us again and see the improvements in the wireless.