“Very Spacious Clean Hotel Rooms”

Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Ranked #34 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
calgary
“Very Spacious Clean Hotel Rooms”
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I found out about the hotel through trip advisor searching pet friendly hotels, as we were bringing our cat with us. She is new to travelling, but even she LOVED this hotel. The room was very spacious, very quiet, very clean and the service was excellent. We only stayed the one night as we were heading to California, but the roomwas much more than we expected for the price.

• Liked — Very large rooms and well priced
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
BWMeadows, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, 6 January 2010
Dear Justzen,
We are glad you and your cat enjoyed our hotel. The hotel is still very pet friendly and we welcome you and your cat back any time. You will find the rooms still spacious and clean with the best service we can provide. Sorry if this reply has been delayed but we greatly appreciate the time you took to write a review of our hotel. We are looking forward to your next stay!

Andrew Fringer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Tacoma WA
Reviewed 22 October 2007

We stayed at this Best Western because we knew that, as a Best Western, it would provide the minimal basic amenities that all Best Westerns provide - clean, relatively safe, friendly, good size, shampoo and other necessities, good location within city limits. This had the added convenience of being pet friendly for our two dogs. Unlike many Best Westerns which we've stayed at, this one was a bit noisier within (footsteps, toilet flushes, etc.), and the shower water pressure was painful, but the price was certainly good for our purpose, which was not so much to tour Portland, but to do college campus tours.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank arlenejoe
Dear Arlenejoe,
We apologize for the delay in replying to your response as we have recently switch ownership. As per your suggestion we have installed new shower heads in all bathrooms so they all have a consistent pressure. We still offer all needed amenities and offer a great shuttle service to the airport and surrounding areas. Our hotel is still very pet friendly and we welcome you and your dog back anytime.

bethanybeach
Reviewed 10 October 2007

Walked into a smoke free lobby and was very nicely greeted.( I found all the staff to be friendly and very helpful.).The room was large, very clean. No complaints. The breakfast was good, the dining area clean and bright. Stayed five nights and would definitely stay there again. The floor we stayed on was completely smoke free and understand there is another floor totally smoke free which made us very happy. J.S.

• Liked — Friendlineess, cleanliness, non smoking
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aviator3
Dear Aviator3,
We apologize for the delay in thanking you for writing a review as we have recently switched management. We are happy to tell you that our hotel is now 100% smoke free. We see that you enjoyed our breakfast and would like you to know we have expanded our breakfast with many more hot and cold items. Everyone here at the Best Western Inn at the Meadows thanks you for writing your review and looks forward to seeing you soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 October 2007

My husband and I had a less than stellar four-night stay here. As we entered the lobby, we were greeted by the aroma of stale cigarette smoke. This would become a familiar smell, one that has literally worked its way into the fabric of this shabby property a few miles from downtown Portland. Although the smoking rooms are on the first floor, the smell permeated the hotel, invading our room on the second floor.

The room was spacious but clearly had not been thoroughly cleaned since about 2002. A dusty film covered all surfaces--the dresser, the TV, both nightstands, and the table--and the window sill was filthy. The bathroom was in a better state and looked to have been recently remodeled, but we were disappointed to find a wall-mounted soap and shampoo dispenser instead of shampoo bottles and soap. I like to take the bottles and reuse them.

Our main complaint was that our room was not serviced for two days. On both days, we left for the day before 11:30 a.m. and were careful to leave the "Housekeeping Please" card in the key card slot. Because at least one housekeeping cart stood somewhere in the hallway at all times, we figured someone would service the room in the 10-plus hours we were gone. Silly us! On Day 2 (actually, the night of Day 2), we talked to the reception person, who grimaced and smacked her forehead. Apparently this had happened before. She couldn't do much for us but send someone to our room with a pile of clean linens and towels.

And now for the breakfast. We've stayed at a few Best Westerns now, and usually the continental breakfast is decent. The breakfast here was bare-bones: only three types of dry cereal; a strange, futuristic dome full of cold hard-boiled eggs; stale doughnuts; bread and English muffins that you toast yourself (OK, no complaints there); and, my personal favorite, a stainless steel vat of vanilla yogurt. The breakfast attendant, a surly woman with unrestrained long hair, complained to us about the din in the breakfast room, which was due to elderly women speaking loudly to each other. She also had a tear along the inside seam of her pants. This did not contribute to our morning appetites. To be fair, the coffee (Douwe Egberts) was quite good, and the muffins weren't bad. But we really could have done without the view of the attendant's inner thigh.

Pros: The reception staff were generally helpful, and the hotel is within walking distance of the MAX (Yellow Line Delta Park/Vanport stop); plenty of parking; free shuttle to the airport; nearby restaurants, although nothing fancy (Shari's, a Chinese joint, another place with a bar); inexpensive; free wireless Internet in all rooms, and one public computer in the lobby; good people watching. Cons: This is manifestly not a well-managed property. Rooms not well cleaned; housekeeping infrastructure in shambles; highway noise; sub-par continental breakfast.

• Liked — Inexpensive
  • Disliked — Cleanliness was sub-par
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank large_agnes
BWMeadows, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, 8 January 2010
Dear Large_agnes,
From everyone at the Best Western Inn at the Meadows we would like to apologize if you did not have a good stay. We also apologize for the delay in the response to your review as we have recently changed management. After reading reviews like yours we have changed the hotel to be 100% Smoke-Free and have completely redone all old smoking room to remove any reminisce of smoke. We have added many new items to our breakfast including hot scrambled eggs, sausage, home-style potatoes, waffles, and many other options. The Best Western Inn at the Meadows takes cleanliness very seriously and has retrained all of our housekeeping staff so the problems of excessive dust will never happen again. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope with these changes you will be willing to give us another try.

Delano, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 August 2007

We stayed here for four (4) nights in August '07. After the first evening, we were wishing we stayed elsewhere. The hot tub was unusable. The free breakfast included ice cold hard-boiled eggs, and your typical breads, oatmeals, cereal, fruit, etc. The breakfast became unbearable by the third morning. Unless you are here for the speedway, or horsetrack, the location couldn't be anymore inconvenient. The available cable television channels are very limited. If you'd like to watch some t.v., and you have children with you, plan on spending $10, or more, to get kids entertainment. All in all, I wouldn't not stay at this hotel again. Primarily do to inconvience of location, and lack of ammenities.

• Liked — spacious room?
  • Disliked — location, value, lack of ammeneties
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank mnhubby
BWMeadows, Public Relations at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, 9 January 2010
Dear mnhubby,

I want to start out by thanking you for contributing a review of our hotel and very sorry about the delay of our response. We do have new management now so we are trying to collect our past guests comments so we can better our hotel. I apologize for the hot tub being out of order but it is now working and will be ready for your next return to Portland.

Also, we have updated and added to our breakfast since you have stayed here, and have much more selections. The eggs are much more delightful as well. I am also proud to say we just recently improved our TV channels, so now we have more channels and a bigger variety.

I do apologize for any inconvenience you had while you were a guest here and hope you give us another chance to prove to you that we have bettered our hotel. If you have any further comments please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Western Inn at the Meadows
1215 N Hayden Meadows Drive, Portland, OR 97217
(p) 503.286-9600 (f) 503.286-8020
Grand Rapids
Reviewed 12 August 2007

....compared to the place I stayed in the night before.
This was a last minute find as I returned to Portland a day earlier than I intended and my original hotel could not accomodate me a day early. I found this hotel with the help of another Best Western desk clerk somewhere along I-5.
I had been quoted a price but when I arrived, I was given a AAA rate $30.00 less. The front desk staff was most helpful in offering suggestions for local restaurants---Elmers which is just across the parking lot from the hotel was very good. And the staff there was helpful as well. They also helped me in the morning with directions to Washington Park which was my destination that morning.
I found a very clean hotel room with a complimentary breakfast and customer oriented staff. On site parking was free which you find less often these days in larger cities.
I would definately stay here again if I find myself in Portland.
The only drawback I found is that it is located away from the city center but is closer to the airport.

• Liked — most everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank hikinggal
Dear hikinggal,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a great review about our hotel. I apologize for the delay in our response as we do have new management now. Due to this we are trying to reply to all previous guests and improve our hotel, and your comments help significantly.

I am so glad you enjoyed our services as we are driven to provide excellent customer service. We hope to earn your loyalty each time you are in the Portland area. If you should have any further comments or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Again thank you for taking your time.

1215 North Hayden Meadows Drive
Portland, OR 97217
(T) 503.286.9600 (F) 503.286.8020
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We did the Park 'n Fly package here, as we have done numerous times in the past. The hotel has gone way downhill and stunk of cigarette smoke in the lobby.
We will never stay here again due to our experience with the shuttle driver. We had been on a red-eye flight from Hawaii. We arrived in the morning at PDX and immediately called for the pickup. When we called for the pickup from the airport they said he'd be 15 minutes. We waited for OVER AN HOUR in the freezing (literally) cold with two small children and a newborn baby.
When the driver finally came, he made it all the way to the Embassy Suites when he got a call for another passenger pickup. What does he do? He informs us he is going to TURN AROUND AND GO BACK TO THE AIRPORT! He goes back and we sat in the van for almost THIRTY MINUTES waiting for this passenger who never came! We have a screaming newborn, tired and starving kids who didn't sleep all night and instead of leaving, he drives out of the parking lot and then circles around and heads back into arrivals! We wait for the guy another 10 minutes and then he starts all over again. He circled around SEVEN TIMES before he finally called it off. My husband asked politely to please bring us back to the hotel so we could get on the freeway as we had a screaming (obviously) baby and miserable kids and a three hour drive home. The man got upset and said "No! I do not want to have to come back here for this guy!" Well, isn't that his JOB?!
Yes, it's been 6 months since this happened, but typing this is making me relive that miserable travel experience and it's still upsetting and to be honest, it was a little bit scary. We did not get to the hotel to pick up our car until almost two hours after our plane landed due to this hotel's incompetency and horrible shuttle driver.
I will stay at the Embassy Suites from now on...I'd rather pay the extra $150 to avoid this ever happening again!

• Disliked — The shuttle driver!
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank toulousaine
Dear toulousaine,

First of all I want to apologize for responding so late since your stay with us at our hotel. I am glad to say we do have new management and now we are trying our hardest to reply to our previous guests requests and concerns. Your input is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review on our hotel.

I am very sorry about what happened to you and your family while waiting for our shuttle and I assure you we have changed our system so we can better accomodate our guests. We do have new staff as well who are very service orientated so that you will not have to endure the same experience again.

We would love for you to come back and give our hotel another try since we have changed our shuttle, policies, and decor of the hotel. If you have any other comments or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Wishes,