“If you don't want to sleep, then throw away your money here” 1 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows
Ranked #33 of 138 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“If you don't want to sleep, then throw away your money here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2006

Do not stay here.

The woman at the front desk was the most unfriendly front desk attendant I have ever come across. You would think the hotel would put someone there that actually knew something about customer service and greeting guests. She acted as if I was interrupting whatever else she was doing besides her job of checking people in. Said literally 6 words total to me, let's count them: "last name?" "credit card?" "sign here!!" I was afraid I might sign on the wrong line or look at her wrong and she'd pull a soup nazi on me and yell "NO ROOM FOR YOU!"

Gave us a room next to the maid's closet, which of course was noisy and we could tell it wouldn't get better. Switched us to a different room on the west end of the hotel which was even worse, as the burger king drive through was right outside the window and you can clearly hear every person's order. I think I have the menu memorized.

The noise at night was unbearable. A nice little orchestra of Incredibly loud train/plane/tank? noise that would occur intermittently and last for a few minutes, followed by the slamming of the stairwell door, mixed in with a little neighbors tv and their intimate sounds. Yes, thin walls.

The place is old, has a cigarette stench, unfriendly staff, noisy rooms, and you don't even get shampoo or soap?! It comes out of a dispenser like in your highschool locker room.

If you want a hotel that does it right, you can get a comparable rate at the far superior Holiday Inn Express at Jantzen Beach, one exit away.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — not enough room here to list
  • Tips/Secrets — recommend this place for your worse enemy
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 2ez4me
BWMeadows, Public Relations at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, 10 January 2010
Dear 2ez4me,

I want to start off by apologizing for such a delay in responding to your review. We have new management and staff here who are taking your suggestions and comments to heart, so that we can improve our hotel.

I am so sorry about the mishaps you encountered here a few years back, and I assure you we have upgraded our hotel tremendously. Our new staff is definately service orientated and you will not have any more bad experiences with our employees.

As to the noise, we definately have rooms that are in a "quiet zone" in which is free from commotion so that you may get a full nights sleep. We also have upgraded our soap and do offer complimentary body wash available to you in a small tube.

I hope you change your mind and return to our hotel again, as we are new and improved. If you have any additional comments or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

(p) 503.286-9600 (f) 503.286-8020

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2006

I found the Best Western at the Meadows to have both significant plusses and minuses. I would stay here again for a night or two, but for longer-term would look for another motel.

The minuses – Immediately upon entering my room, I noticed a heavy stale odor. Changing rooms was not an option as the motel was 100% sold out. There were cigarette burns in the carpet near the bed, so it’s possible that this had been a smoking room that was converted to non-smoking, or that someone had smoked in here illegally. This appears to be an older hotel, so mold could be a factor. Also, my window would not open, so the stale air could be from lack of air circulation, even though one of the options on the ventilation system claims to be outside air. The ventilation system has a very loud fan, louder than most hotel rooms. The plus of this is that it drowns out the loud refrigerator. Also, I wasn’t thrilled with the mattress. It was neither firm nor soft. It wasn’t too soft, but not as comfortable as a firmer mattress.

The plusses (and a minus or two): My room was more spacious than a typical hotel room, complete with refrigerator and a sink in the kitchen area. It was quite clean, other than a few hairs on the underside of the bedspread. The room seemed to have better soundproofing than newer motels, or perhaps I was blessed this trip with quiet neighbors drowned out by all the fans blowing. The room contained a dead bolt and security lock, so it felt safe inside. In addition, my room was pleasantly decorated with green carpet and curtains, cream color walls, and just one picture—not overdone like so many motel rooms. There’s a large spacious parking lot with plenty of parking, even when the motel is booked to capacity. If you have a dog, it’s a plus that they allow dogs, although I didn’t notice any areas near the parking lot that would be good for walking one. Speaking of the parking lot, there was a panhandler pestering me for money at about 8 a.m. the first morning I was there. If you bring a laptop, there’s free internet access, but if you don’t you’re limited to one extremely slow computer in the lobby that usually has somebody working on it. The bathroom was adequately spacious, with decent water pressure in the shower. There was a soap and shampoo dispenser in the tub, which is more ecologically friendly than providing the small bottles of shampoo and tiny bars of bath soap.

The staff (plusses and minuses): They are very friendly and helpful, but not terribly efficient. They cheerfully provided an extra blanket for a family who asked for one. But when it came time to check out, there was a long line of people waiting to check out. Most modern motels have an express checkout option, where your bill is waiting for you under the door and you can call down to the desk in the morning to check out without waiting in line. This Best Western will let you call down to the desk to check out (although it’s not written anywhere), but if you do so, you’re checking out without seeing your bill first. They seriously need to streamline their checkout process.

I would consider staying here again, but only if I could check out my room first and move to another room if I found the same stale odor.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank groovyvegan
BWMeadows, Guest Services at BEST WESTERN Inn At The Meadows, responded to this review, 10 January 2010
Hello Groovyvegan,

On behalf of Best Western Inn at the Meadows and its entire staff, we would like to thank you for your stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to seeing you again. I would also like to thank you for taking the time and effort to provide feedback for our hotel. Your recommendations inspire us to better ourselves. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us; however I saw that you were not pleased with the room odor, loud fan and uncomfortable mattress. I do apologize for the inconvenience. We try our best to make sure all of our rooms are as clean and fresh as possible. We have since updated our mattresses, bedding and ventilation. And we are always updating and improving the interior look of our hotel. Also, we have since changed our check-out method to an express check-out. You no longer need to wait in long lines and all bills are slid under your door the night before you check-out. Again, feel free to let us know what we can do to make our changes better. If there is anything we can do for you to make your next visit more pleasurable please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks Again,
Lisa Kreeft
spokane wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2005

Other than the high carb all sugar breakfast I have no complaints. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful except for one night when the wireless internet was down and when I called the person who answered the phone was a bit abrupt.

The wireless web is very low in the rooms but strong in the lobby. It was only down the one night of our 5 night stay. The free shuttle will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel and to the airport.

The hotel is very close to the MAX line into town and $3.75 for an all day pass on the MAX and busses is a pretty good deal. While I did have access to a rental car I preferred to take the rail and explore downtown and the various neighborhoods of Portland. The rail also goes to Washington Park and the Zoo.

Although there isn't anything very interesting around the hotel, it is only one exit on I5 from Jantzen Beach and some very good restaurants and a decent shopping center.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank 1happywife
Dear 1happywife,

I would like to thank you for contributing a wonderful review of our hotel. I am sorry for responding so late, but we do have new management now who is taking all of our previous guests input, to improve our hotel.

We have upgraded our breakfast and it has a lot more variety now, to better satisfy our guests. Our internet has been improved as well so you will be able to get signal in your room.

I am so glad you took the opportunity to experience the light rail train as it is a wonderful adventure.

We look forward to your visit, next time you are here in Portland. If you have any further comments or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Many Thanks,
Quebec City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2005

This hotel is good when you are on a business trip, you stay one night and leave early. It's not too expensive but too far from the city, if you want to get there early. From the airport, CALL THE HOTEL for shuttle service, all shuttles were passing by, I was the only one where the shuttle was not showing up, you gotta call and let them know you're waiting. Taxis don't like to go there because it's too far from the city. 3 cab conmpanies were called by the front desk, they all accepted the call, only one showed up (RADIO TAXI) after 30 minutes waiting. The hotel is quiet, clean too. It's an average place to stay, low-budget. It's way too far from the airport and city. I paid 20$ for a taxi to go to the city. It's an all-right place, not more.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank Melanie135
Hello Melanie135,

I would like to take the time to thank you for contributing a review of our hotel. I would also like to apologize for responding so late, as you did stay here a few years back. We do have new management now, so we are trying to reply to everyone who has posted a review. Your comments are very much appreciated as we are trying to improve our hotel and its services.

I am sorry about your wait at the airport and the mishaps with the taxis. We do have a light rail station just located a few blocks from us that goes into downtown . This is only $3.75 for an all day/ all trip pass, which is way cheaper than a taxi.

We hope to see you again next time you are in Portland. We will show you that our services has improved and we will accomodate your needs. If you have any additonal comments please feel free to let us know.

Roseville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2005

Very nice stay, greeted at reception desk with samplings of local wines & cheese, friendly front counter personnel & very informative about local happenings, restaurants & places to visit. Room was comfortable & large with microwave & refrigerator. Close to University of Portland where we were able to visit with our daughter. Hotel provided complimentary shuttle service to & from the University & the drivers were all very nice & made sure we had the hotel ph# to call when we were ready to be picked up.

The breakfast in the morning was wonderful & the area was kept clean & monitored by several of the hotel staff who made sure it was well stocked.

The staff was always helpful & friendly. We would definately stay here again.

4 Thank Capayrancher
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review of our hotel. I know it has been a few years since you have stayed here, so I apologize for such a late response.

I am so glad you recieved excellent service from our staff as customer service is our big focus. We have renovated our hotel tremendously from new bedding to brand new tile in our lobby area.

We hope to earn your loyalty each time you are in the Portland area. If you have any additional comments please feel free to let us know.

IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2004

Not pleasant at all:

-- I called the hotel, twice, before booking and specifically asked if they provided shuttle pickup to downtown, and got affirmative answers, twice! When I arrived and asked the reception, it was a resounding NO! “Too many bridges” is their answer.

-- Terrible front desk staff. They were frequently missing from the front desk and didn’t bother to put a ring on the counter in case someone needed help. They snuck to the back room and chatted in two or three, and wouldn’t even acknowledge you even when they saw you waiting there. It was like, “Keep waiting, I don’t care.”

-- The room didn’t even have a full length mirror.

-- The air conditioning was noisy, and the fridge was noisier. I went to sleep near midnight and woke up at 4 in the morning and couldn’t go back to sleep.

3 Thank skyblue
Dear skyblue,

I would like to apologize for the inconviences you went through while you were a guest here. We do have all new management and staff who are very service orientated so that problems you encountered previously will not happen again. This is also the reason for such a late response as we are trying to improve the hotel, so every guests input counts.

We also have all new air conditioning systems and refrigerators which are much quieter in the rooms. I am sorry about the loss of sleep you encountered here at the hotel but we do have designated "quiet areas" so you will be able to get a full nights rest.

We hope to earn your loyalty each time you are in the Portland area. If you have any further comments or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2003

Staff was courteous, breakfast buffet was better than average, room was clean and well maintained, several restaurants nearby, free newspapers even on Sunday - great place to stay.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

I would like to thank you for such an excellent review of our hotel. I am so sorry about the delay in this response. We do have new management now who is taking the initiative to gather every previous guests comments, so that we can better our hotel.

We have upgraded our breakfast since you were here, and so it is much more delightful now. We still do offer complimentary newspapers every day.

We really hope to see you on your next trip to Portland. If you have any more remarks about our hotel please feel free to let us know.

Many Thanks,